Upcoming JHPDA Meetings
(Campus map for meeting & event locations)
JHPDA monthly meeting
When: Wednesday, July, 5th, 5:30pm
Where: PCTB 113
Professional Development commitee meeting
When: Thursday, July, 6th, 5 pm
Where: Helmand Kabobi Cafe, 855 N Wolfe St, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA (map)
Contact: Madhu Roy
JHPDA Executive Council
Co-president: Nick Wyhs
Co-president: Justin La Favor
Treasurer: Georg Oeltzschner
Secretary: Adele Goman
Communications: Kartik Temburnikar and Premraj Rajkumar
International: Beth Zucconi and Antje Arnold
Policy and Advocacy: Rachel Mulheren and Grace Kim
Professional Development: Anup Sharma and Madhu Roy
Socials: Erin Brown
Diversity Postdoc Alliance: Dionna Williams and Marc Edwards
SPH: Jing Sun and Collin Weigel
Joining the JHPDA
Interested in one of our committees? Want to contribute to postdoc events, policy and training? Good ideas for future events?
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bulletin provided by the JHPDA Media and Communications Committee
Want to join our committee? Want to contribute to our bulletin? Know of an upcoming event, or want to write an article for our “In Brief” section?
Email us: email@example.com
Academic Job Search Series, Tue., June 27th
Do you want to hear from fellow postdocs who have successfully transitioned to academic careers?
JHPDA Professional Development Committee is pairing up with PDCO this Fall for an Academic Job Search Series for postdocs. Please come join us for the first event where five Johns Hopkins Postdoctoral Fellows who are NEW Assistant Professors will share their experience of academic job search.
When: Tuesday, June 27th 12:00 pm to 1:00 pm
Where: Room 2-108 1830 East Monument Building
Speaker Bios: Click here
JHPDA Happy Hour & Game Night Thurs., June 29th
We invite everyone for the Happy Hour and Games organized by the JHPDA Socials and International Committee. Enjoy the company of fellow postdocs with games and drinks!!!
When: June 29th, 6-8 pm,
Where: Green House cafe and courtyard.
For more information, contact Antje
SPH Postdoc Happy Hour Friday, July 7th
Get together with fellow postdocs for a drink at one of Baltimore's famous seafood venues! Free drink to the first 30 postdocs and free appetizers to share. Its an easy shuttle ride from the Medical Campus, and a great way to meet new postdocs and relax at the end of your week.
When: July 7th, 5-7 pm,
Where: Ryleigh’s Oyster.
For more information, contact Jing Sun
Preparing Future Faculty Teaching Academy Certificate Program
Applications are now being accepted through September 30th, 2017
for the 2017-2018 cohort!
Click here for more information about this program and to apply.
Teaching-as-Research (TAR) Fellowship Program
Applications accepted through June 30th, 2017
Offered twice annually, the next cohort is for those who plan to teach during fall 2017 or intersession 2018 and wish to conduct a small educational research project that entails writing a short 5-page research paper and giving a 10-minute final project presentation. A new TAR Blackboard course will be offered in a hybrid format to help you prepare your teaching-as-research project which will run from July through August. The majority of the course content delivery and engagement will be conducted in the online Bb learning environment. Optional modules that cover IRB and Writing a Teaching Philosophy Statement will also be offered.
This program carries a stipend of $1,250. Click here for more information and to apply.
Please do not hesitate to contact Kelly.firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Orioles game, Friday, July 21st
JHPDA invites you to attend the Orioles vs. Astros game at Camden yards. Reserve your tickets here! Tickets will be distributed on Tue, July 18th from 5:00-6:00 outside of the Greenhouse Cafe in the PCTB building. You can pay for your ticket(s) in cash at this time. Tickets only $7. Free postgame fireworks!
When: Friday, July 21st, 7:05pm
Where: Camden Yards.
For more information, contact:email@example.com
Outdoor Summer Yoga Series
All students, trainees, staff and faculty are invited to join us for weekly outdoor yoga classes this summer! Whether you are new to yoga or practice regularly, join us to exercise your body and refresh your mind.
Summer schedule: click here
Sponsored by University Health Services’ Office of Wellness and Health Promotion. For more information, please contact Patti Anderson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Professional Development Opportunities
Professional Development and Careers Office
Click here to see the full calendar of PDO events.
Click here to make an appointment with the PDO.
Additional Professional Development Events
- Center for Integration of Research Teaching and Learning (CIRTL)
- Johns Hopkins School of Education
- Graduate certificate programs & online programs in education (details)
- Cold Spring Harbor ENABL scholarship program (Empowering Nextgen Advanced Biomedical Leadership). This program provides partial financial support for trainees to participate in one of our immersion laboratory courses followed by a professional development workshop. (details) (posted 6/12)
- National Postdoc Association (NPA) is now accepting applications to bring in 4 individuals this fall to its Board of Directors.Deadline: 07/07 (details) (posted 6/5)
- Registration is now open for the ASCB- EMBO meeting in Philadelphia this December 2nd - 6th (details) (posted 6/5)
- Become an affiliate member of the National Postdoctoral Association for FREE (details) (posted (9/26)
- Applications are open for Worcester Polytechnic Institute’s 3rd Annual STEM Faculty Launch. Deadline August 11th. (details) (posted 5/22)
- The Journal of Clinical Investigation will be hiring a local editor based on the Johns Hopkins University campus to assist with management of editorial board activities and scientific content editing (details) (posted 6/19))
- Medical Science Liason positions vacancies available in the mental disorder/psychiatry/neuroscience field (details) (posted 6/19)
Fellowship and Job Opportunities
Visit the Johns Hopkins PDCO jobs board site for updated listings, including job postings and postdoctoral fellowships in a variety of science careers across disciplines.
Visit the postdoc jobs board site for updated listings of open postdoctoral positions within Johns Hopkins School of Medicine by PDCO.
Receive grant alerts here.
Events Around Baltimore
Visit http://baltimore.org/events or the Culture Fly calendar.