Gluten-Free Focaccia Bread
free of gluten, dairy, and soy
recipe adapted by carrie forbes of gingerlemongirl.com
Yields: 12-16 slices of focaccia
1 ½ cups brown rice flour
1/2 cup sorghum flour
2 cups arrowroot starch or tapioca starch
2/3 cup blanched almond flour or non-fat dry milk powder (if you can tolerate dairy - we use the blanched almond flour
1 tablespoon xanthan gum
2 teaspoons Saf Instant-Yeast, Red Star Rapid Rise or “Bread Machine” Yeast, or Fleischmann’s “Bread Machine” Yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups water heated to 110 degrees
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 egg whites, brought to room temperature
1 clove garlic, finely minced
Fresh herbs, finely chopped (such as rosemary, oregano, or thyme)
Olive oil for spreading dough
Optional toppings: chopped and seeded kalamata olives and roma tomatoes
- Line a 9x14” baking dish with parchment paper and grease parchment paper with non-stick cooking spray or olive oil. In a large bowl whisk together brown rice flour, sorghum flour, arrowroot starch or tapioca starch, almond flour or non-fat dry milk powder, xanthan gum, and salt.
- In another bowl whisk together heated water, olive oil, egg whites. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir together thoroughly into a stiff dough. Continue to mix as much as you can (it is a VERY stiff dough!) for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to the prepared baking dish. Drizzle the dough with a little olive oil and then evenly spread dough over the entire baking dish. Cover the dough lightly with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm place for about 35 minutes.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Gently poke the dough all over with your fingers so small wells appear over the dough. Drizzle with additional olive oil and sprinkle on the minced garlic and any of the additional toppings you would like.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until focaccia is golden brown and crispy. Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then slice into squares and serve.