Arancini con Prosciutto Cotto e Mozzarella
(Fried Rice Balls with Ham and Mozzarella)
From the Kitchen of Yolanda Caccamo Quackenbush
Ingredients: Makes about 25 Arancini
- 4 Cups of Arborio Risotto Rice
- About 12 Cups of Chicken Broth (You may or may not use all of the broth)
- About 7 oz of Prosciutto Cotto, Sliced Thin (Regular Plain Ham)
- 8 Oz. of Fresh Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 Cup of Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 TBSP of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 6 TBSP of Unsalted Butter
- 4-5 cups of Unseasoned Breadcrumbs
- 4 Eggs (may need more)
- Vegetable or Canola Oil for Deep Frying
*Saffron is Optional for coloring of the rice
- Dice the Ham, set aside
- Dice the Mozzarella, set aside
- In a saucepan bring the broth to a simmer and keep it warm for making the Risotto
- Get a large pan, and add 2 TBSP of Extra Virgin Olive Oil and the Arborio Rice. Stir for about 1 minute.
- While continually stirring, begin adding the hot broth in 1/2 cup increments, allowing the liquid to become completely absorbed before adding more broth. (This process is very important as you do not want to add all the broth at once like you would with regular white rice).
- Cook until the rice is just tender (al dente) and the risotto is creamy. This process takes time about 20-30 minutes, so be patient!
- Once the Risotto is Al Dente, turn off the heat and add the Butter. Stir until melted and blended.
- Now add the Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese and mix
- Add about 1/2 of the Diced Mozzarella and 1/2 of the Diced Ham to the Risotto and mix well.
- Let the Risotto Cool down for about 30-45 minutes to Room Temperature (If you are planning on making this the next day, then you can cover it up and put it in the fridge)
- Once the Risotto has cooled, Set up your breading and stuffing Station.
- Get a bowl or plate and Beat the eggs in it
- Get another bowl or Plate for the Breadcrumbs
- Have the remaining Diced Ham and Mozzarella also out and ready.
- Have a bowl with some water ready (this prevents the Risotto from sticking to your hand when you roll them)
- Now it is time to assemble the Arancini!
- With slightly wet hands, Take about 3-4 TBSP of Risotto (You can make it any size you like)
- Make a hole it it with your two fingers and add some Diced Mozzarella and Diced Ham to the middle
- Close the hole back up and Roll it into a Ball or Pear Shape
- Coat it in the Egg Mixture and then in the Breadcrumbs and place on a Cookie Sheet
- Continue this Process with the remaining Risotto.
- When you have finished, the next step it to fry them up!
*Note - Only Fry the ones you want to eat. You can Freeze the ones you are not going to eat, by laying them flat on a tray in the freezer for an hour and then transferring them into a Freezer Bag.
- Pour Vegetable or Canola oil in a Medium Saucepan, about 4 inches Deep.
- Get the Oil Very Hot, about 360 Degrees F
- Once the Oil is hot, Add the Arancini, about 2 at a time to the Hot Oil
- Fry for About 1-2 minutes or until lightly golden brown