Upcoming JHPDA Meetings
(Campus map for meeting & event locations)
JHPDA Monthly Meeting
All postdocs are welcome to attend our monthly meetings. Come learn and talk about ongoing JHPDA programming, events and committees!
When: Wednesday, Feb 3, 5:30 pm
Where: Miller Research Building, room 181
Contact: Chelsea Qinjie Zhou
Media and Communications
All are welcome to join us with ideas for effectively communicating and advertising to Hopkins postdocs.
When: Wednesday, Jan 13, 8:30 - 9:30 am
Where: MRB Daily Grind
Contact: Premraj Rajkumar and Pankhuri Vyas
JHPDA Executive Council
Co-president: Stanley Andrisse
Co-president: Rohan Gupta
Treasurer: Nick Wyhs
Secretary: Chelsea Qinjie Zhou
Communications: Pankhuri Vyas and Premraj Rajkumar
International: Beth Zucconi and Anders Josefsson
Policy and Advocacy: Rachel Mulheren
Professional Development: Jineta Banerjee and Xiang Xu
Socials: Justin La Favor
Diversity Postdoc Alliance: Dionna Williams and Marc Edwards
Joining the JHPDA
Interested in one of our committees? Want to contribute to postdoc events, policy and training? Good ideas for future events?
Email us: email@example.com
Bulletin provided by the JHPDA Media and Communications Committee
Want to contribute to our bulletin? Know of an upcoming event, or want to write an article for our “In Brief” section?
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
IN BRIEF: Cookie decorating contest winner!
The results are in!
At this year’s JHPDA holiday party, the cookie decorating station was a huge hit. Eight postdocs submitted pictures of their decorated cookies, in hopes of winning this year’s Cookie Decorating Contest!
Congratulations to Pankhuri Vyas, who will receive a gift card prize! Her cookie - cookie #4 (see image to the left) - received 83% of the votes.
Upcoming JHPDA Events
Shuttle Social at Mount Vernon Marketplace, Thu., Jan. 21st
JHPDA invites you to a shuttle social at Mount Vernon Marketplace, Baltimore’s new foodie destination! Look for the yellow balloon to find your fellow postdocs.
When: Thursday, Jan 21st, 6:00 - 8:00 pm
Where: 520 Park Avenue
Transportation:JHMI- Homewoodshuttle, Monument-Peabody stop.
Questions? Email email@example.com
Professional Development Opportunities
Professional Development and Careers Office
Click here to see the full calendar of PDO events.
Click here to make an appointment with the PDO.
- LinkedIn Workshops and Clinic: hosted by Dawna Reeves of Reeves Career Services Consulting; LinkedIn for beginners (9am), Advanced LinkedIn workshop (10am), and 1-on-1 LinkedIn clinics (11am onwards); Jan 14th at 1830 E. Monument, Peter C. Maloney Classroom (2-108); register here.
- Research Leadership in Academia Jan 19th 4 - 6 pm at 1830 E. Monument, Peter C. Maloney Classroom (2-108); register here.
- Johns Hopkins Technology Ventures - Commercialization Academy (details here)
Additional Professional Development Events
- Welch Library Courses (upcoming courses)
- Effective Science Communication course series (website, schedule)
- Writing Accountability Groups (WAGs)
- Hopkins Science Writing Program (details here and here)
- Science of Learning & Gateway Sciences Symposia: Excellence in Teaching and Learning in the Sciences; JHU campus, Jan 11-12 (details & registration)
- Center for Integration of Research Teaching and Learning (CIRTL)
- Johns Hopkins School of Education
- Offers graduate certificate programs & online programs in education (details)
- BSi “Brain Night”, “Can blind hear better?: Brain plasticity after sensory loss" on 5:30 pm on Jan 13 (5pm reception), PCTB West Lecture Hall (details)
- Transatlantic data science workshop on novel computational approaches to health; at Bethesda NIH campus, Mar 1-2; abstracts due on 1/20 (details)
- Young Scientist Seminars competition: enter to learn presentation strategies and share your research the iBiology website; due 1/11 (details) (posted 1/10)
- Webinar opportunity, “Targeting Cancer Pathways: Understanding Immune Checkpoints” on Jan 19th organized by AAAS (register here) (posted 1/4)
- Funding opportunity, Career Guidance for Trainees awards from Burroughs Wellcome Fund ($30,000-$50,000); 3/16 deadline, details here (posted 12/21)
- 2016 Annual National Postdoc Association meeting - registration now open; hosted at Van Andel Research Institute in MI; early bird registration until Feb 2, details here
- Download free booklet on marketable skills and transition to the next phase of your career (from Science Magazine; here) (posted 11/02)
- National Postdoctoral Association Releases Guidebook to Advance Postdoc Women: more information here
Fellowship and Job Opportunities
Visit the below site for additional updated listings, including job postings and postdoctoral fellowships in a variety of science careers across disciplines. Recent additions listed below.
- Postdoctoral Enrichment Program, Burroughs Wellcome Fund: awards to advance careers of underrepresented minority researchers; due Jan 15, deadline approaching! (details)
- 2016 L’Oréal USA For Women in Science fellowship program - applications now open; due 2/05 (details) (posted 1/10)
- T Rowe Price internship for next spring/summer is open to postdoctoral fellows; preliminary letters of interest invited (details)
- National Postdoc Association seeking Co-Chair for the Resource Development Committee; applications due Jan 15 (details)
- Apply to be a Global Health Corps Fellow (due 2/2, details)
- Postdoc in genomics and bioinformatics at the University of Lorraine in Nancy, France (details & contact) (posted 1/10)
Receive grant alerts here.
Events Around Baltimore
- Free yoga taught by M Power Yoga instructors! Saturdays, 1/09 - 3/05, 10:00 - 11:00 am, Living Classrooms building inside Patterson Park; mats available and kids welcome.
- ...and many more listed here!
For other local events, visit http://baltimore.org/events or the Culture Fly calendar.