STUDENT TIPS FOR SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION
OF ONLINE COURSES
- Watch your email account for your “welcome” email with your login information. PRINT THIS OUT! Your username and password are CASE SENSITIVE. If you forget your password, you can ask your LEG/mentor to reset it or click on “Forgot password” on the login page and it will be emailed to you.
- Your teacher will also send you a welcome email - send them a reply introducing yourself!
- Sign all your emails or messages to the instructor with your full name and put the course name in the subject line.
- You will log in to your course at this website:
http://www.wisconsinvirtualschool.org/studentlogin.cfm. Bookmark it if you are using the same computer for your course every time.
Alternate login site: https://wen.geniussis.com/PublicWelcome.aspx?id=87.
- Report any technical issues to your LEG (local mentor) FIRST, as schools may have to resolve firewall/filter issues. You can contact the Help Desk by sending an email to email@example.com or calling 715-453-1953 between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday-Friday.
- Check with your LEG - did they order the required textbook and/or needed materials?
- Complete the Student Orientation Course before beginning your course. You can also refer back to this information any time.
- Go through the introductory (Welcome) unit of your course for valuable information from your teacher on getting started.
WORKING ON YOUR COURSE
- Check your email daily for any messages from your instructor.
- Check the course announcements daily.
- Keep a notebook for each course. You may want to record where you left off each session (unit/lesson/topic/page).
- Complete all practice activities, taking advantage of all interactive (audio, video clips) content.
- Go through the course IN ORDER, completing all assignments in a unit before taking quizzes or exams.
- Submit all written assignments as attachments after saving in RTF format. Do NOT submit work via email.
- Oral assignments - check with your instructor or the Orientation for instructions.
- Taking Quizzes/Exams:
-You may need to get a password from your LEG before accessing unit or final exams. Some schools require you to take exams in the presence of a staff person (proctor).
-Most exams are timed - limited to one hour - so don’t start an exam unless you have enough time to finish it in one session.
-While taking an exam, DO NOT hit “refresh” or the “back” buttons, DO NOT leave the page, or minimize the page. If you do, you will be locked out of the quiz/exam and will not be able to retake it without the teacher’s permission.
- Hit “Submit” or “Done” when you are finished.
- Check your gradebook regularly for teacher comments and suggestions and to see your progress.
- Attend “Collaborate” (real-time online chat sessions) to get extra help and touch base with your instructor and other students in the class.
- When you are done with your session, be sure to LOG OFF before closing the browser window.
A successful online student:
-completes the Orientation before starting their coursework
-communicates with their instructor at least once a week by email, messaging or Collaborate
-reads all course announcements daily
-follows their Course Schedule, working on the course at a steady pace
-takes notes and asks questions as needed
-follows local policy for Appropriate Internet Use
Avoid Academic Dishonesty which includes:
-Submitting work through another person’s log in
-Cheating (using unauthorized material, study aids or assistance, such as online translators)
-Performing work or taking a test for another or having them take a test for you
-Inappropriate use of email, discussions, messaging, etc.
**If you can’t do it in your face-to-face school, you can’t do it in an online course!
WE HOPE YOU ENJOY YOUR ONLINE COURSE!
Wisconsin Virtual School
8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Mon.-Fri.