TriSchool Site Council Meeting Agenda 

Index

Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Agenda Items

Membership Preparation for October 4 Meeting

Meeting Dates for 2016-17

Next Meeting Date

Minutes (approved)

Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Agenda Items

Meeting Dates for 2016-17

Next Meeting Date

Minutes (approved)

ADDENDUM

Tuesday, November 8, 2016   

Beach Library

3:30-5:00pm

 

Timekeeper: tbd                                          Note Taker: Joanie Sears

3:30 pm        Approve Minutes from October 4th meeting (Discussion and vote)

3:35pm                District thoughts on program evaluation (Information)

3:45pm                Review subgroup progress and answer questions (Discussion)

4:00pm                Workshop SPSA and make final edits (Discussion and Agreement)

In preparation:

Review Final Draft Single Plan for Student Achievement

Review Minutes from October 4th Meeting

Meeting Dates for 2016-17

Next Meeting Date

Monday, December 5th:

Prior to meeting, review Tri-School Single Plan for Student Achievement.

We will hold a SSC meeting at 3:30pm prior to LCAP advisory meeting to vote to approve 2016-17 SPSA.

Notes:

Meeting Called to Order by Anne Dolid

Quorum not present so approval of minutes delayed to the end of the meeting.

Cheryl Wozniak:

Review of District Process for Implementing Change FRAMEWORK in the spirit of transparency.

Use for all new initiatives also use for program design now.

Pick up on the monitoring from where we are going forward.

Step 1:  Articulate the Rationale for Change.  Public comment at every step is always welcomed.

Step 2: Develop a Plan of Action (NGSS team for example. Superintendent, School Board, Staff presents to Parents Club, Site Councils, support group, etc) Public Comment welcomed.

Step 3:  Implement and Monitor.  Support,reflections, monitoring, data collection and sharing

Superintendent reports to School Board Meeting.  Public Comment

Step 4: Evaluation and Refinement. Public Comment

3:49 pm Approve Minutes from October 4th meeting (Discussion and vote)

Katie makes a motion.  

Seconded by Jen.

All in Favor : I’s

One abstain (Hope)

3:35pm                District thoughts on program evaluation (Information)

Notes from subgroup meeting:

SSC Subcommittee Meeting

Hope Salzer, Katie Gudiksen, Jenna Caldwell, Cheryl Wozniak, Carol Cramer, Anne Dolid, Michael Corritone

  1. Share district thoughts on program evaluation
  1. Overview of need for district process for implementing and monitoring initiatives
  1. Need for schedule day monitoring to fit in that model
  2. Model:
  1. Assess Need
  2. Develop Plan
  3. Implement Plan
  4. Monitor and Adjust

  1. Share district thoughts on program evaluation
  2. State purpose for meeting: Continue to discuss the process for evaluating school day changes.
  3. Discussion of draft Goal 4 and timeline
  4. Share communication plan and feedback questions
  5. Discussion and comments in preparation for Tuesday’s SSC meeting

Want feedback that is usable and helpful- general rating scales/checklists/multiple choice tend to not be as helpful as qualitative questions and really hearing personal experiences.

A survey that goes to 800 families, need to be mindful of the number of open ended questions.

Realized is that we need educate families about what is going on. Meet and greet with PAINTS and art teachers- able to give feedback on that experience- based on information they heard directly from educators. As part of the process CHeryl shared, this is the model we plan to use following newsletters.

Want more opportunities along the way to give feedback vs. waiting to get it all at once. Qualitative feedback will be more helpful.

Need for education about initiative prior to asking for comments

1.  How helpful was this newsletter? (Not helpful, somewhat helpful, very helpful)

2.  How much new information did it provide? (No new information, some new information, a lot of new information)

3.  What additional questions did this raise about your child's learning experience in _______?

4.  What other information would you like to receive about our Tri-school  ______ program?

Will use the feedback on these questions to ensure that the desired information is in the next newsletter, or to deliver it in other ways.

Would a more open ended question at the end help. General comments. What do you want us to hear from you.

Concern that this misrepresents what is actually happening and doesn’t give the full picture. Spoonfeeding what school wants the parents to hear. Pleased with some of the changes, but we aren’t asking comparison questions. Should frame it as here are the gains, and here is what is lost.

Response- art teachers are fully revealing what is going on in their classrooms. CW hears that they would like the changes called out so that parents are aware. Acknowledgement of what is different- call out the changes. Could be included in the introductions.

Integration is biggest gain. Should be calling that out somehow. Communicating it out somehow. Could classroom teachers be calling this out? Could we send something from Course A? Could we highlight some of the work that teachers are doing around integration?

Can we highlight other content areas?

In the body of the email sharing how long, and what the questions are in the communication.

Could we send it via paper with a link to the questions?

Report on how many responses we have received on each communication.

Can we get feedback from kids sooner? Can we share that feedback from kids back to parents? Plan is to ask questions of children about the schedule.

Can we add a final communication sharing the themes from teachers and students and ask parents to reflect on design principles.

This could give us themes from the parent community to share back.

Can we add more precision to EMOs? Have % of responses vs. just a task. Level of understanding. To learn, to determine, Focus on student learning.

Thoughts include a wondering if isolating each subgroup while getting feedback takes away from a total experience of the program redesign.

Leslie shared feelings that feedback seems to invite comments on the newsletter rather than totality of the program.  Also shared concern that information gathered from all isn’t anonymous.

(Omal Smith) School board member shared that part of a teacher’s job responsibility is the to provide honest feedback that is a child focused.

Today’s work is to approve the Single Plan for Achievement 2016-2017  

3 Workshop Groups discussed and edited

  1.  The Narrative on Whole Program
  2.  Goal progress Updates from last year
  3.  Final review of goals and action items for this current year

Edits provided.  A suggestion was made to draft a goal to work on developing SMART goals.

3:45pm                Review subgroup progress and answer questions (Discussion)

Hope presents meeting of subgroup

Narrative describes program

Goals that were implemented

Coming school year  collecting feedback on program design

4:00pm                Workshop SPSA and make final edits (Discussion and Agreement)


Tuesday, October 4, 2016   

Beach Library

3:30-5:00pm

 

Timekeeper: Anne Dolid                                             Note Taker: Elizabeth Shook

 

Agenda Items

3:30pm                        Approve Minutes from September 6 meeting (Discussion and vote)

3:35–3:45pm                 Norms  (Discussion and Agreement)

3:45-4:15pm                Review LCAP action items and develop action items (Information, Discussion)

4:15-4:45pm                Program Design - Monitoring Throughout the School Year (Action)

4:45-5:00pm                Discuss Next Steps prior to November Meeting (Discussion)

5:00pm                        Adjourn

Membership Preparation for October 4 Meeting

Review minutes and Norm statements (see below)

Review the 2016-18 LCAP executive summary

Review of LCAP action items and respond to the listed questions - see separate message

In addition to LCAP Action Item document, consider:

Provide agenda input to principals by Wednesday, September 29th

Meeting Dates for 2016-17

Next Meeting Date

Minutes (unapproved)

Notes by Elizabeth Shook.

Called to order 3:30 pm.

Motion to approve minutes from last minute. Approved.

Reviewed norms: welcoming, respectful, etc.

There will be crossover between Site Council and LCAP and various committees such as District Technology Advisory Council.

What data do we need in order to do data-drive decision making?

Proposing 4th goal in addition to those in LCAP

Will be working on later in the year.

Goals are fixed but flexible.

We need to figure out how to grow the role of site council within the structure of LCAP

Break into groups. Developing additional action items and ways to monitor/ measure success or progress.

Worked on highlighted yellow LCAP action items.

Program Design Monitoring

Action Item: Monitor program design progress implementation and progress

Current Status: In collaboration with CreatEdu developing a baseline survey to administer to stakeholders in November, to be followed by a more specific survey in February which will inform adjustments for the 2017-18 school year.

All Students Feel Safe, Cared for & Included

Action Item: Review the status of health standards and social emotional learning guidelines taught at each level, identify gaps and begin developing a plan to address gaps

Current Status: 2015-16 4th and 5th grade classroom and PE teachers at Havens have developed units that integrate science and health standards. Common Planning Time will be used to share across sites and refine lessons for the implementation this school year

Action Item: Provide training on gender identity for all staff and students at Beach and for counselors at Havens and Wildwood, as one means of supporting transgender students.

Current Status: Not yet begun

All Students Graduate with 21st Century Skills

Action Items: Implement a system of administering, scoring and evaluating student progress on District Math Performance Task Assessments (MAC)

Current Status: On 9/21/16, teachers at each grade level selected common tasks to administer in the 2016-17 school year. Teacher in grades K-5 will be released following the administration of tasks to norm and score assessments. Following scoring, teachers will be provided time to analyze the results and enter them into illuminate (our student information system). Following this, they will be doing “re-engagement” activities with their students based on the results. This process will repeat multiple times throughout the year(depending on the grade level).

Rigorous, Relevant, Differentiated Learning Experiences & Making Connections Among Disciplines

Action Items: Create and begin implementation of a long term K-5 professional learning plan on integrated learning and arts integration.

Current Status: Beginning on 9/21/16, 18 PUSD teachers and administrators began the integrated Learning Specialist Program offered through the Alameda County Office of Education; 18 total.

Action Items: Provide additional elementary math intervention (grades 2-5) and early math intervention in Kindergarten and first grade to meet the needs of students who are below grade level

Current Status: Students at all levels have been given baseline assessments and math specialists have consulted with teachers for those students who demonstrated challenges and gaps in their understanding. Bridges Intervention units have been identified for small groups of students

Program Design Monitoring

Back in touch with facilitator from Create.edu. Developing baseline survey to get feedback on current program from teachers and parents. Baseline survey will review basic tenants driving original driving program design. Later in the year will get information on program at that point.

In addition to surveys, will conduct interviews with teacher specialists/ get monthly report out from specialists.

Questions to ask?

How is attendance at early morning music class?

A/B schedule - how is it working?

Instructional blocks - how it changed teaching

Common Planning time

Integration - how is it going? (See LCAP #3)

How do kids feel?

What do parents want to know?

Logistics - are they working?

Access at lunch for lab, tech, art, etc.
What do you know about ___.

There is a need for more communications. Parents would like to see results of surveys. Teachers would like to see material before it goes out. Also need to avoid survey overload!

How was prep time for site council meeting this week?

What do we need to add to agenda for next week?

Site council members NEED to read SPSA link before next meeting. Also invited to another meeting….

More opportunities:

Board meeting, Thursday

School Safety Meeting, Thursday

LCAP Meeting, Monday


Tuesday, September 6, 2016   

Beach Library

3:30-5:00pm

 

Timekeeper: TBD                                             Note Taker: TBD

 

Agenda Items

3:30pm                        Welcome and Introductions (Information)

3:35–4:05pm                 Norming Activity  (Action)

4:05-4:30pm                Review and Discuss LCAP Goals and Action Items (Information, Discussion)

4:30-4:45pm                Brainstorm Any New Site Council Goals Connected to LCAP Actions (Action)

4:45-5:00pm                Program Design - Monitoring Throughout the School Year (Action)

5:00pm                Adjourn

Meeting Dates for 2016-17

Next Meeting Date

Minutes (approved)

 

Norming Activity

Suggestions regarding Decision-Making, Time, Listening, Confidentiality, Participation, and Expectations were posted around the room; the membership then met and discussed the following, to be refined and agreed at a later meeting:

 

   Expectations:  establish mission & scope, assume good intent across the members, and be prepared for the items to be discussed in each meeting

   Participation: may include work outside of the meeting hours, all opinions are to be heard within the membership, and validation may occasionally occur between the membership and the broader community of PUSD stakeholders

   Confidentiality:  advocacy of issues should be kept confidential, whilst the work of the membership is public and noted; members agree to take care differentiating between Site Council decisions and their own opinions on an issue

   Time: must be managed to allow for open discussion and focused conversation on specific topics — i.e. time will be structured to drive efficiency

   Decision-Making: should be collaborative within the membership

 

Review & Discuss LCAP / Local Control & Accountability Plan

Tables reviewed the LCAP goals across the 3-year term, then reviewed and prioritized the LCAP goals for this year.

The LCAP is a state mandated process that defines priorities to which funds are later attached; but, the LCAP is not determinative of funding —i.e. it’s more of a pitch than a plan for funding.

 

Tables discussed the general approach taken to rank the current year goals.

 

  Table 1: noted that the LCAP must be supported; however, we can make room for supporting other items

  Table 2: suggested ranking the goals according to three (3) principles:  1) Is there a positive knock-on effect — i.e. is early intervention associated with benefits over a lifetime (such as math accomplishment in the primary grades)?; 2) Does this goal appear to be a common good for the PUSD student base?; and 3) Does this goal address a deficit or gap within PUSD?

  Table 3: expressed a desire for a realistic goal around science, a need for integration education, and a desire for improved communications

  Table 4: found the topics of health and welfare to be of interest; so too, science, differentiated learning, early math intervention, and professional learning plans

 

There is a desire to attach detail and performance metrics to the goals that we select to increase accountability and insight.

 

Brainstorm Any New Site Council Goals

Deferred within this session.

 

Program Design

Deferred within this session.

 

 


AGREED

   All Norming Activity suggestions will be transcribed and included in the minutes

   We will create a set of common definitions for terms used within the Site Council

   Create a parking lot for ideas to ensure they are not lost and can be periodically considered

   Regarding attaching data to the LCAP, it was noted that performance metrics are an element of the LCAP; and, agreed that we would bring these forward following goal selection to determine if these meet the ask

PARKED

 

   No items in this session

 

 

ADDENDUM

Transcription of posters and recommended norm statements

CONFIDENTIALITY: This is a welcoming space that is safe to share and discuss thoughts and ideas openly.

·   Q: What does confidential mean? A: No names; no gossip; don’t attach ideas to a particular person; make sure minutes stay general about emotional discussions; talk about the issue, don’t talk about the person; welcoming safe space; sensitivity; open meeting; individual versus group roles.

DECISION-MAKING : Agendas will be set with input from members and data will be used whenever possible in our decision-making process.

·   A: Collaborative (circled); collaborative, but not necessarily consensus; equal vote-not top down; more de facto democratic decision-making; representative; set/flex agenda; place for council agenda items; agree to a commonly held objective for each issue; prioritization of goals using data; data driven

TIME : We commit to using our time efficiently and come prepared to each meeting.

·   A: If council work is not completed during session continue as off-line work; stick to agenda; inclusion time for new business/miscellaneous items; have materials ahead of time; start and stop on time; at some point you need to make a decision and stop discussion; plan backwards from board meeting dates etc., for timing; and realistic agenda that allows sufficient time to discuss

·   Parking Lot- Focus on goals; shared agenda development

LISTENING : We commit to being respectful of all ideas and will “share the air”.

·   A: Do it; Let people get to the end of their thoughts; Respect and value all opinions; hear other points of view; allow for other points of discussion; ask questions to clarify before critiquing ideas; maintain beginners mindset; and utilize active listening

PARTICIPATION : see above norms

·   A: Engaging broader communication; respectful discourse; equal voices; make everyone feel comfortable; respect; represent both sides of the issue; share the air; share time; no judging; encouraging participation; collect feedback from greater parent body prior to drilling down; enable participation; elicit and encourage participation from all groups represented;ask clarifying questions; don’t read between the lines and assume; potential off-site homework; come to meetings prepared; and move interaction among members, not so driven by principals

EXPECTATIONS : Assume positive intent, remain focused on students, our purpose and goals.

·   A: Understand that we work on both long and short term goals; include opportunities for agenda additions/discussion; come prepared; materials in advance of meeting; respectful; preparedness; positive intent; define roles; clear definition of SSC and components; right to disagree; commitment to creative thinking; kids are the focus; need reasonable, deliverable goals that can be accomplished; assume good/positive intent; mission; new members; define in school scope