Chocolate Soufflé (Source: adapted from Handle the Heat)
Yields: 2 soufflés
3 tablespoons butter, divided
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup vanilla extract
2 large eggs separated
2 tablespoons granulated sugar, plus more for coating ramekins
Pinch cream of tartar
Powder sugar to sprinkle of top
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Use 1 tablespoon of the butter to grease 8-ounce ramekins or custard cups. Coat the ramekins with granulated sugar, tapping out the excess.
2. Separate the egg yolks from the whites and set aside.
3. In a medium microwave safe bowl, microwave the chocolate and the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in 20 seconds intervals, stirring between each interval, until the chocolate chips and butter are melted and form a creamy mixture. Stir in the vanilla and egg yolks one at a time.
3. In a clean bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the egg whites, sugar, salt, and cream tartar until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the chocolate into the egg white mixture. Spoon into the prepared ramekins.
4. Place on a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes until puffed and set.
5. Remove from oven dust with powder sugar and serve immediately.