Children’s Kiva Montessori School
Elementary/Middle School - Board of Directors Meeting
06.15.15 at 6:30 pm – Beech Street
BOD Approved on 07.20.15
- Call to Order: Julie S. called the meeting to order at 6:32 pm.
- Roll Call: Julie Suckla, President; Tamia Hurst, Secretary; Julie Bell, Member; Josh Warinner, ED; Susan Likes, BM
Note: Anna Cole, VP has moved
Absent: Nate Seeley, Treasurer
Community Members: Chad Fish, Kathy Stemmler
- Vision – Children’s Kiva Montessori School will provide a vibrant and engaging learning environment based on the teachings of Dr. Maria Montessori that supports all students’ academic excellence and ability to become empowered, creative, lifelong learners responsible for themselves, their community, and their environment.
Mission - Children’s Kiva Montessori School uses authentic Montessori Methods, Community-Based educational approaches, and integrated academics (STEAM) to support student academic success, responsibility, and independence.
Montessori Moment – Josh
Next Montessori Moment: Julie Bell
- Approval of the May 13, 2015 and May 18, 2015 Minutes: Tamia moved to approve the minutes as written, seconded, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Approval of Agenda: Tamia moved to approve the agenda as written, seconded, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Community Member Forum: Chad thanked the Board and Admin for the amazing first year that his children have had. Kathy has enjoyed learning more about the Montessori philosophy and is excited to be involved with our school.
- Status of previous meeting’s action items – Tamia
- See “Elementary/Middle School BOD Action Items – May 18, 2015”
- Development Committee: create a strategic plan for fundraising/spending…”Financial Summit”.
- Retreat Committee: meet ASAP.
- Retreat Committee: meet regularly and file a board report at the next board meeting.
- Josh: review the Performance Management Plan in the Evaluation and Hiring folder.
- Nominations and Board Development Committee: set up the nominations schedule for the 2015-16 year (July/August)
- Consent Agenda
- Approval of Insurance Policy Proposal from CSDIP
- Approval of Audit Proposal from May Jackson
Tamia moved to approve the Consent Agenda, seconded, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- BOD President – Julie
- Schedule for Retreat
- Julie talked with Matt regarding this item; they will set up a time to meet.
- Complete CCSI Board Assessment by June 19th
- Action Item: Julie S and Josh will meet to fill out the board assessment and then send it out to the board for comments.
- CDE CCSP Grant Required Training Schedule – move to Future Agenda Items
- Budget & Financial Oversight Committee – Nate (Absent)
- Report – no comments
- Susan will work on the Personal Time policy and present it to the BOD at the July BOD meeting.
- Executive Director – Josh
- Star & Dibels data – presented and discussed at length
- Summer Schedule & Compensation
- Josh will work through July 3rd and then return July 29th
- Business Manager – Susan
- Report – no comments
- Cash Flow through January 2016
- Statement of Activities 05/31/2015
- Statement of Financial Position 05/31/2015
- Building & Locations Committee
- Babysitting at Collaborative
- Nominations Committee
- New Membership Nominations and Affirmation: Kathy Stemmler and Chad Fish
- Tamia moved to nominate Kathy Stemmler and Chad Fish as members of the Elementary/Middle School, Children’s Kiva Montessori School Board of Directors. Motion seconded, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Julie swore in Kathy and Chad as they each raised their right hand and repeated the Affirmation to the office.
- Julie will mentor Kathy.
- Committee appointments
- Action Item: Every board member needs to review, print and sign the BOD Agreement letter (found in Google docs) and bring it to the next BOD meeting.
- Action Item: Julie will follow-up with a potential board member and set up an interview time then email out the dates to the board
- Action Item: Nominations Committee – review a succession plan, create a list of “needs” that our boards have and focus more attention on filling committee member seats. Re-review the nominations process with perhaps reconsidering the approach to align more with a typical “job interviewing process”… (1st attend a BOD mtg., 2nd apply, and 3rd set up an interview with the board).
- New Business
- Action Item: Tamia will share access to Google Drive with Kathy and Chad
- Action Item: Every board member needs to review the bylaws (found in Google docs).
- Action Item: Everyone needs to review the following document in Google: Kiva Shared Documents/Additional Documents/Board, Committees, and Organizations. Be prepared to review this document at the August BOD meeting.
- Discussion regarding the Farm Lunch program
- It was decided previously that we need at least a 75% participation rate to continue this program.
- Only 50 students have responded to the Google form.
- 12 indicated that they will not participate in this program.
- Approximately 7 or 8 of those 12 were students that will be located at Children’s House; therefore it was determined that the Farm Lunch program will NOT be offered at Children’s House.
- Move forward with the Farm Lunch at E/M S and include an explanation/sign-up in the registration packet. If there is not enough that sign up at that time, we will discontinue the program.
- Action Item: Tamia will talk to Shamai about the Farm Lunch discussion.
- Action Item: Tamia will add a “Shared Board Information” section (XI) onto the Agenda template; this will be applicable to each board.
- Action Item: Tamia and Julie will review the board reporting processes to reflect the agenda being set by the Executive Director for the August BOD meeting.
- Calendaring – BOD President
- Upcoming events
- Planning and Zoning Meeting, Tuesday, June 17, 2015 at 6:30 pm – City Hall
- City Council Meeting, June 23rd at 6:30 pm – City Hall
- Next BOD meeting
- Monday, July 20, 2015 at 6:30 pm at Children’s House
- Review all Action Items – Tamia
- Items for Future Agenda(s)
- Retreat Committee Report – July
- Signed Board Agreement letters – July
- Swear in all Board members – July
- CDE CCSP Grant Required Training Schedule – postponed until dates are available
- BOD updates to Josh for the newsletter; this was previously completed by Anna – July/August
- Curriculum Committee/Board: create an agreement for pre-assessment for the 2016-17 school year. Talk with Karleen Walton. – August
- Nominations of officers – July/August
- Assigning committees members – July/August
- Susan will present the Personal Time policy – July
- Nominations and Board Development Committee: set up the nominations schedule for the 2015-16 year - July/August)
- Adjournment: Julie moved to adjourn the meeting, seconded, unanimously approved. Motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 8:52 pm.
Prepared by Tamia Hurst, BOD Secretary