Increase your on-campus visibility
Are you publishing a paper? Let Marketing and Communications know by sending your manuscript, journal, and anticipated publication date to JHMedia@jhmi.edu.
Career Development Toolkit
for Postdoctoral Researchers
The toolkit, aimed at postdoc and hosted by jobs.ac.uk, offers general starting points for reflecting on careers and formulating an ongoing career strategy. Download the career toolkit here.
Postdoc of the Month Awards
The Journal of Postdoctoral Research has Postdoc of the Month awards. For more information, click here
Great, inexpensive photography
The Department of Pathology, JHMI offers excellent photography services. For more information, click here.
National Science Foundation Graduate Education Forum
The Graduate Education Forum is intended to encourage discussion among US graduate-education stakeholders and will provide the DGE a direct connection with graduate students, faculty, university administrators, employers, and others who would like to contribute to the national dialogue. For more information, click here.
JHPDA Postdoc Blog
Tell Your Stories: Submit a post
Postdoc Business Cards
[Includes instructions for postdocs in the Schools of Medicine and Public Health, and postdocs at Homewood.]
BusyGrad: housing, reviews, buy/sell items
[BusyGrad is not affiliated with Hopkins]
Argonne Postdoc Blog
[not affiliated with Hopkins]
Free networking website that enables researchers to identify and connect with thousands of potential collaborators worldwide.
Complimentary career advice ebooks
The Global Academic Careers Guide
Career Development Toolkit 4 Researchers
Research Publications Planner
Co-authoring - Getting Started
IN BRIEF: Individual Development Plan (IDP) for Postdoctoral Fellows
- The NIH recently recommended that grantees develop an institutional policy requiring an IDP for every postdoctoral fellow supported by NIH grant.
- Setting up your IDP is required for NIH training grants and others and is very helpful to establish written goals with your advisor.
- Overview and advantages of IDP for postdoctoral fellows and PIs can be found here.
- All postdocs are highly recommended to go through the IDP exercise to get most out of their postdoctoral experience.
- Visit myIDP to begin or update yours today!
UPCOMING JHPDA EVENTS
Shuttle Social at One World Cafe tomorrow
JHPDA invites you to a shuttle social at One World Cafe in Charles Village! Just look for the balloon.
When: Tuesday, August 11th, 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Where: One World Cafe; 100 West University Pkwy
Take the Homewood-Peabody-JHMI shuttle to IFC-Homewood stop.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
JHPDA Communications Committee meeting Wednesday
Join us with ideas for effectively communicating and advertising to Hopkins postdocs. All are welcome!
When: Wednesday, August 12th, 8:30 am
Where: MRB Daily Grind
Orioles game with JHPDA, Fri., Aug 21st
Join the JHPDA for a night at Camden Yards as the Orioles take on the Twins.
When: Friday, August 21st, starts at 7:05 pm
Where: Camden Yards
Sign up: here
Limited number of $6 tickets are available, so
sign up today!
Questions? Email: email@example.com
Professional Development Opportunities
JHPDA Research Presentation Club: Dates through October available!
Come join the Research Presentation Club! Practice presenting a talk/poster of your choice with the JHPDA Research Presentation Club! Receive feedback from a friendly audience of fellow postdocs and graduate students. Each month’s event also features valuable tips from an expert in presentation skills.
Not yet ready for a talk? Come and listen to a fellow postdoc practice over lunch (provided!) and help out by providing feedback.
When: Wednesdays, 12:00 - 1:00 pm
Dates through October now available!
Questions? Contact Jineta or Xiang
Professional Development Office
Click here to see the full calendar of PDO events.
Click here to make an appointment with the PDO.
Coming up this week...
- Grant Craft - Summer 2015
- Thursday, 8/13, 10:00 - 4:00 pm, West Lecture Hall
- Topics covered: Federal grant process and culture, how to choose a fundable research problem, write a competitive grant and so much more. For further info and registration click here.
Additional Professional Development Events
- Writing Accountability Groups (WAGs)
- Welch Library Courses (upcoming courses)
- Hopkins Science Writing Program (details here and here)
- Turning your science into a company. Due 8/20 (details)
- Center for Integration of Research Teaching and Learning (CIRTL)
- Johns Hopkins School of Education
- Offers graduate certificate programs & online programs in education (details)
- Stem Faculty Launch Program
- Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Application deadline 8/15 (link)
- National Postdoctoral Association (NPA) combined call for workshops, innovation in action sessions, and posters for the 2016 Annual Meeting will open on August 3 and will close October 2. (details)
- Association of Women in Science: recruiting new leaders on their Executive Board (details; if interested, contact Ekemini Riley)
- Additional funding opportunities listed here
Fellowship and Job Opportunities
Visit the below site for additional updated listings, including job postings and postdoctoral fellowships in a variety of science careers across disciplines. Recent additions listed below.
- A postdoc position is available at Glaxo Smith Kline in Bathesda MD. (details) (posted 8/10)
- Wiess Postdoc research fellowship for US students pursuing Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Sciences research, App deadline: Aug 15, 2015, for further info.
- Life Sciences Strategy Consultant, ClearView Healthcare Partners. Applications due 8/16, interviews begin 8/25 (apply, details, contact)
- A position is available for Assistant professor of Psychology, human neuroscience at Goucher college. (details) (posted 7/13)
- The National Science Foundation (NSF)’s Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP) is seeking panelists for the 2016 competition, including postdoctoral researchers. Register with your CV or NSF biosketch (details) (posted 7/13)
- Postdoctoral fellowship - The National Cancer Institute (NCI) Cancer Prevention Fellowship Program (CPFP) is now accepting applications. (details: due 8/25/15) (posted 7/13)
- A postdoctoral position is available to study stem cells and regenerative mechanisms in epithelial organs in the lab of Dr. Sarah Knox in the UCSF Department of Cell and Tissue Biology and Program in Craniofacial Biology. (details) (posted 7/06)
- Cancer biology faculty positions at The Wistar Institute (details; due 9/10) (posted 6/29)
- Plasma Protein Therapeutics Association (PPTA) seeks Medical Director (link) (posted 6/28)
- Postdoc position available in Hopkins Brain Institute (link) (posted 6/22)
- Postdoctoral fellowship- University of Texas medical branch in Galveston is accepting applications for women’s health research (details) (posted 6/08)
- The IRCCS Candiolo (To) Italy is recruiting new PI(details) (posted 6/08)
- Psychiatrist Seniors’ Services team in Montgomery County (link) (posted 5/11)
All Job and Fellowship listings are compiled here.
Details on NIH job listings are also compiled here. pathway
Receive grant alerts here.
Other opportunities can be found here.
Events around Baltimore
For other local events, visit http://baltimore.org/events or the Culture Fly calendar.