Davis Aquatic Masters
Board Meeting – February 12, 2014
Meeting was called to order at 6:30 p.m. in the Brady Building at Civic Pool. Quorum was established.
Ann Willis, President
Karen Charney, Vice President
Byron Philleo, Treasurer
Dan Sperka, Secretary
Ken Petruzzelli, Member at Large
Jonathon Howard, Member at Large
Stu Kahn, Head Coach
Valerie Greenough, Financial Director
Trish Price, Berryessa Race Director
Matthew Spriet, DAM Member
Erica Fleishman, Member at Large
Approval of Minutes from January meeting
- Motion: Approve minutes as amended
- Vote: Unanimously approved
- Resolved: Minutes of January 8, 2014 meeting are approved and entered into records.
- Two student hardship requests were brought forward by Head Coach Stu Kahn. One student (“A”) has been DAM member for two years. One student (“B”) is a new member, has swam 3 free workouts but has not paid any dues.
- Stu will gather more information from student “B” to help assess the need of the student.
- Motion: Grant student “A” 6 month waiver
- Vote: 5 Yea, 1 Nay (Sperka)
- Motion: Membership Committee shall develop a policy and process for dues waiver requests and report their progress at the April Meeting.
- Vote: Unanimously approved.
- Matthew Spriet, DAM member and Mad Cows Triathalon Club. Discussed possibility of clinics for triathalon swimmers (and open water swimmers). Will return to the board with specific proposals.
- Mark Woerner (not present, reported via locker room to Dan). Suggested we form a DAM volunteer corps to assist with tasks as needed. Examples: helping with plumbing at Manor, or with locker room issues. Other opportunities are possible.
- Dan will include an appeal for help in a weekly email. Ann will mention this in a message to the team (to be discussed later in meeting).
Not all committees will have a report each month.
- Rotate weekly emails to include one of the following: President’s letter to membership, Swimmer of the Month, Coach’s Column, Performance of the Month
- Working on proposal/recommendation on dues and finance policies. Will report in April.
- Forming a committee, seeking volunteers.
- 40th Anniversary(Stu, Byron)
- Brute Squad(Karen)
- Sweatshirts delivered, event is done.
- Sanction in progress (USMS and USA Swimming)
- ClubAssistant online registration open early March
- Steele Canyon site
- Fees charged online will include $5 insurance surcharge, $1.25 per entry, and 5% charge on total, all paid by swimmer.
- Ken is monitoring the status of the parcel tax/sales tax proposals.
- Registrar/Treasurer Transition
- The registrar tasks are under control - thanks Erica!
- Committee formed to conduct search: Ann, Byron, Dan, Karen. This committee will develop a job description and compensation package, advertise the position, interview candidates and report to the board at next month’s meeting.
Head Coach Report(Stu)
- Swims WAY up since return to Civic.
Finance Director Report(Valerie)
- Working with Byron, Erica, Ann to help DAM transition to new Finance Director postion, with new job description.
- Next meeting, Wed, March 12, 2014