Position Title: Operations Manager
Location: Sacramento, CA
Organization: The Environmental Justice Coalition for Water
The Operations Manager will work under the supervision of the Executive Director and in close partnership with and in support of EJCW staff, board members, member organizations, and project partners. While part-time employment is possible, this position is expected to be a full-time position and is located in Sacramento, California. The Operations Manager is responsible for managing and continually improving the operation of administrative and other organizational systems as well as developing new systems in support of EJCW’s dynamic programs, advocacy, and broad variety of staff and coalition activities.
Major job responsibilities:
- Grant and contract management, including reporting, invoicing, and some contract negotiation
- Executive assistance, including acting as first point of contact for most inquiries, i.e., press, vendor, partner, public official, etc., managing staff and organization calendars
- Support accounting, banking, budget management and reporting, i.e., tax, corporate, legal, court, lobbying, and insurance filings, accounts receivables, etc., including for fiscally sponsored projects
- Office management, including managing multiple office leases and relationship with associated landlords, sub-leases and sub-lessees, service providers, vendors, etc.
- Manage administrative systems, including technology (hardware, software, and cloud computing), paper and electronic filing system, company intranet, etc.
- Communications infrastructure, including contact management service (CMS), website maintenance, and social media systems (including coordinating content generation)
- Funder/donor management and development, including donor database management and communications
- Support board of directors and other governance-related groups, mostly logistical, i.e., circulate calendar invitations, record and circulate notes, format agenda and collect and upload documents to Board web-based platform, etc.
- Vendor contract review, negotiation, and management
- Develop new systems, such as online project management, staff and member intranet, etc.
- Assist with human resource needs, including processing and filing new hire paperwork
- Support EJCW’s Collaborative Fundraising activities and general fund development activities, including maintaining development and funder reporting calendar in keeping with organization and coalition fundraising plan, development and maintenance of promotional literature, etc.
- Event support, i.e., support planning and execution of trainings, member gatherings, committee meetings, film screenings, fundraising events, board meetings, etc.
- Advise Executive Director on operations, administration, communications, and fund development activities as well as exercise good, independent judgment
- Other duties as necessary, including running errands, as is typical of a small non-profit
- Commitment to the organization's mission, purpose, and values
- A bachelor's degree required; masters or advanced degree preferred
- At least 3 years of office and/or project or program management
- Knowledge of or demonstrated ability to learn Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher, Google Apps for Nonprofits, WordPress, and a host of online third-party platforms, e.g., Asana, Gotomeeting, Freeconferencecall, Uberconference, etc.
- Strong analytical, writing, research, and communications skills
- Self-directed and organized individual with ability to work independently to meet multiple deadlines
- Proven track record of supporting successful programs
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Understanding of and ability to articulate and abide by social and environmental justice principles
- Comfort and experience working with community-based organizations, recent immigrant groups and people of color, in general
- Willingness and ability to travel around State and work flexible hours, including evenings, weekends, and overnight travel, as required from time-to-time
- Knowledge of water and/or other natural resource issues a plus
- Bilingual, English-Spanish speaker a plus
- Physical demands include: sitting, walking, and listening for up to 6-8 hours per day; computer keyboarding an average of 7 hours per day; ability to lift up to 25 lbs.
- Work environment and travel demands include: travel to other regions both within and, on occasion, outside of California. This position is based out of the Sacramento office.
- Reasonable accommodation: If you need a reasonable accommodation to participate in the application process, please provide us, in writing, an explanation of the reasonable accommodation needed.
Start date: As soon as possible. This position will remain open until filled.
Compensation: The Environmental Justice Coalition for Water offers a competitive nonprofit salary, commensurate with experience and qualifications, benefits stipend, including 403(b) retirement plan.
Applications: To apply, e-mail resume or CV, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references to email@example.com. Include "Operations Manager" in the e-mail subject line. No phone calls or hard copy documents, please.
* * *
Equal Opportunity Employer: EJCW is an is an “at-will”, equal opportunity employer.