SGA Meeting Minutes
Wednesday, March 5, 2014
12:00 p.m. SC 204
Call to Order:
Approval of Minutes:
Film Club motioned to approve the minutes from the February 19, 2014 meeting;
Hurricanes Men’s Soccer Club seconded the motion and the meeting minutes were approved.
President – Tam Nguyen (email@example.com)
- The letters to Dr. Head regarding parking and other issues are being finalized and hopefully will be submitted after the spring break.
- Devin O’Donnell has been named as the new Secretary replacing Taylisha Anderson-Clark.
Vice President – Sean Glaser (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Mr. Glaser is out with an injury and Tam Nguyen will be covering his duties in the interim.
- Student Life Program Manager Dan Mitsven needs to do more research on the Archery Club’s Registered Student Organization proposal
Secretary – Devin O’Donnell (email@example.com)
- The minutes are posted up on the Student Government Association’s page in LSC4ME within one week of each general meeting.
- Please pick up the sign for the club you are representing at each meeting.
- The agenda is posted before meetings. If you have not joined the Student Government Association’s page on LSC4ME, please do so in order to view the agenda ahead of time.
- Club representatives and at-large members do not need to sign in as roll is called at each general meeting from henceforth.
- If you wish to make an announcement, please complete the announcement form. It is located at the back of the auditorium. In order for announcements to be read, they will need to be completed as best as possible.
Parliamentarian – David Pham (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Meetings will run according to Robert’s Rules of Order.
- Only speak when recognized by the Chair, i.e. the SGA President.
- Near the end of each meeting, there will be a segment devoted to campus issues, concerns, and compliments. Student Government Association members, i.e. club representatives and at-large members, are strongly encouraged to bring up topics that concern them at this time.
A-Team President – Luisa Salinas (email@example.com)
- Activities Team meetings will be held in SC-206 on March 24th, April 7th, and April 28th 2014 at 11:45 AM.
- There will be a St. Patrick’s Day party on March 17th, 2014 from 11:30AM until 1:00PM. It will be held on the patio, the weather permitting, with ice cream and treats being served.
Night School Representative - Vacant ()
Victory Center Representative - Vacant ()
Greenspoint Representative – Michael Horner (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Staff Advisor - Dan Mitsven (email@example.com)
- The Spring Trip this year is an overnight camping trip that is scheduled for April 11th to the 12th. Nothing other than the food offered and the return times have been planned, however there are some tents available along with some covered shelter areas at the campsite.
- The Rising Stars Banquet is coming up on Thursday April 24th at 06:00 PM. The deadline for applications to nominate someone is March 28th and will be submitted by the club advisor. Nomination forms should be sent out prior to spring break to advisors. Tickets are $20 per person and can be paid directly from the club budget of an organization. There are no free tickets being offered; all members, their guests, and the advisor in question will be required to pay in order to attend. Other awards are to be presented at the banquet, which include the Outstanding Leader Award, Outstanding Advisor Award, and the Outstanding Organization Award. Special note for the Outstanding Organization award is that unless the organization has met their requirements for funding they are ineligible.
- The final deadline for any funds request to be viewed by the Allocations committee is March 28th in order to be addressed during the spring semester.
Faculty Advisor – Shae Adkins (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Approve minutes from last Student Government Association meeting (02-05-14).
Hurricane Women’s Soccer club moved to approve minutes. Earth Alliance seconded the motion. The motion passed, and the minutes were approved.
- Emerging Clubs Committee elections were held.
Phi Theta Kappa moved to open nominations. Hurricanes Men’s Soccer club seconded the motion. The motion to open nominations passed.
Nominations for the position were
- Isaac Granados from the Ambassadors club
- Kiet Lam from the ASAP club
- Shawn Thomas from the Earth Alliance club.
Parliamentarian moved to close nominations. Anime and Gaming club seconded the motion. The motion to close nominations passed. Kiet Lam won the election for the open Emerging Clubs Committee seat.
Amber Moore – Student Outreach and Recruitment
- There is a women’s conference coming up after the spring break where they will be raffling off $1,000 total in scholarships. The deadline to register for the event is March 7th, 2014. The focus on the conference is on ways to become a better person, become a better woman, and to promote unity. While the event precludes men, men are encouraged to volunteer all the same. It will be held on March 21st from 8:30 AM until 2:30 PM with breakfast and lunch being catered.
- Phi Theta Kappa (ΦΘΚ-AAΡ): On Thursday March 27th in ACAD-126 there will be a cultural awareness event in conjunction with their weekly meeting, the awareness event is titled “Brain Training 101”.
A STAR Gala is being held at the Marriot Woodlands Hotel and will have Ambassadors from all parts of the organization in attendance. They will also auction items to raise funds towards Ambassador’s scholarships.
There will be another raffle for ad space coming up soon. In order for a club to be eligible for the raffle, the club must select a liaison to contact the North Star News team prior to the raffle and register in LSC4ME.
- Student Nurses Association:
There will be a gift basket fundraiser will be held. While there are no fliers posted yet, the book of raffle tickets will be $20 each with individual ones being sold at $2 a ticket.
- American Association of University Women:
There will be an event from March 24th through the 27th for the Affordable Care Act designed to help people setup their Health Marketplace accounts and receive assistance with any questions about getting that setup.
Friday March 7th in ACAD-126 there will be an event called “Culture Clash: Identity and Politics in a Diverse Academic Environment” designed to discuss identity, politics, culture, etc.
On Wednesday March 19th there will be a movie viewing of March of the Penguins. This event will run from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM, and the movie is designed to illustrate the lives of penguins as a whole.
- Asian Student Association for Progress (ASAP):
There will be a memorial service for Johnson Nguyen, the first ASAP President, on Friday Thursday, March 27th from 6:00 to 7:00 PM.
Motion to adjourn meeting by Phi Theta Kappa, seconded by Campus Christian Club, motion passes and meeting was adjourned at 12:45pm