PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITIES
Professional Development Office (PDO) Events:
Ruth D. Vogel Professional Development Award ($500 for conference or meeting travel)
The Hon. Ruth D. Vogel Fund for Professional Development provides up to four $500 awards per year to JHMI students, residents or postdoctoral fellows for attendance at a scientific workshop, conference, or similar scholarly meeting during calendar year 2015. The candidate must be the presenting author of an oral or poster presentation.
Instructions and application form: click here (awards announced early December)
Deadline: November 6, 2014
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
One hour Lunch-and-Learn
On Wednesdays during your lunch break, come discuss important topics that leverage your marketability when looking for a job. You may attend any or all seminars, there is no restriction.
Register here (for headcount purposes only)
- 11/05: Introvert? Extrovert? Using Your Strengths (PCTB, Room 113/114)
Developing a Powerful CV and Cover Letters
When: Monday, November 10, 12:00 - 2:00
Where: 1830 Building, Room 2-108
If you are considering an academic career path, come and learn how to develop a powerful CV and its accompanying cover letters. Please register here.
Developing a Tailored Resume and Deciphering the Job Announcement
When: Friday, November 14, 12:00 - 2:00
Where: 1830 Building, Room 2-108
If you are considering a non-academic career path, and more specifically a position in industry or non-profit organization, come and learn how to decipher the job announcement and to use the essential words to tailor your resume to the position.
Please register here.
Fall 2014 Research Leadership for Postdocs (lunchtime modules)
When: Tuesdays & Thursdays, 12:00 - 1:30 pm (unless otherwise noted below)
Where: 1830 Building, classroom 2-108
- 11/04: Mentoring
- 11/11: Building and Managing Teams (3 hours)
- 11/13: Inclusive Excellence; Hot-Button Issues in the Workplace
- 11/18: Working within Your Organization
- 12/02: Managing Research Funds, Faculty Panel
- 12/04: Intellectual Property and Entrepreneurship
- 12/09: Time Management (11:30 am - 1:30 pm)
- 12/11: Project Management (3 hours)
Topics covered include: the federal grant process and “grant culture”, mechanisms of particular interest to new investigators, choosing a "fundable" research problem, writing a competitive application, the NIH system of peer review, developing a budget and budget justification.
When: Monday, Nov. 17th, 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Where: West Lecture Hall, ground floor of 725 N. Wolfe Street
Additional Professional Development Events:
Bloomberg School of Public Health Career Services Office Events (Fall 2014)
Fall 2014 event details for SPH postdocs, including event descriptions, locations, RSVP links can be found on the Career Services Office website.
Questions? Contact email@example.com
- 11/04, “Access to Experts” information session: EIS/CSTE Fellowship (RSVP)
- 11/05, “Access to Experts” information session: FDA (RSVP)
- ...more November events coming soon!
Hopkins Biotech Network: “Networking 101: The Power of the “Cool Factor”
With Cathy Hanson from the International School of Protocol
When: November 6th, 6 – 7:30 PM
Where: Johns Hopkins Homewood Campus Hackerman B17
Please RSVP at: http://hbn-networking101.eventbrite.com
Biomedical Careers Initiative: “Biologics: Discovery and Development”
When: Friday Nov. 14th, 11 - 3 pm
Where: WBSB Auditorium
Presented by MedImmune LLC
For more information, click here
Postercraft: The Art and Science of Crafting a Poster
Ever wonder what font you should use on your scientific poster? Think color might make your poster a hit at the conference? Learn the answers to these important questions and more.
When: Wednesday, Nov. 19th, 12:15 - 1:15 pm
Where: Sheldon Hall, Bloomberg School of Public Health
Sponsored by: Delta Omega, MPH Program, Professional Development Office
- Investigators in the Pathogenesis of Infectious Disease (due 11/03, link)
- NIH Loan Repayment Programs (due 11/17, link)
- ASU Origins Project Postdoctoral ($10K) Prize Lectureship Nomination (due 12/01, link; more information here)
- The Dan David Prize scholarship ($15K; due 3/10/15, application link; for details about selected fields of interest, click here)
- Research Study, paid participation: Physical & Mental Fatigue Study (link)
- Request for guest editors for Biochemistry Insights Journal (contact Mariana Figuera Losada)