Dalcroze Society of America
2017 Virtual Town Hall
General Membership Meeting
Wednesday, June 21, 2017, 9 pm EDT, via FreeConferenceCall.com
Present: William Bauer, Cassandra Eisenreich, Eunjin Lee, Tobori Nami, Selma Odom, Dawn Pratson, Flaherty Tao, Melissa Tucker, Leslie Upchurch, Paula Zerkle
Administration Present: Alex Marthaler
- Welcome by the DSA President
- Archive of Past Agendas/Minutes
The past agendas and minutes are available on the website for members to view.
The president provided an update on the progress of the website re-design by the website agile teams and explained each team’s tasks. The projected roll-out date is the beginning of October 2017.
- 40th Anniversary Celebration
The DSA was established in 1978 and 2018 will therefore be the DSA’s 40th anniversary.
- “40 in 40”: The aim of this initiative, which will run from September 2017 to June 21, 2018, is to recruit 40 new members in 40 weeks.
- Promoting Dalcroze: The president introduced the webpage “Promoting Dalcroze,” which provides resources for hosting workshops, including press release materials, photo archives, and templates for advertisements. The web page address is http://www.dalcrozeusa.org/promoting-dalcroze.
- Dalcroze Leadership Initiative: As a part of this project, the president proposed that the DSA national roster of workshop presenters includes informative data about the presenters. The president expressed the hope that more interest would be generated.
- Special Events Report by DSA Trustee Cassandra Eisenreich:
- September 15–18 at Slippery Rock University: Introductory course for music teachers and students
- Saturday September 15: Mostly introductory work as well as a session to honor Annabelle Joseph for her lifetime’s work.
- Sunday September 16: For professional-level teachers. An opportunity to share what Dalcroze teachers can teach in introductory Dalcroze classes.
- 2018 National Conference: California State University at Dominguez Hills Carson, CA, January 5–6, 2018
- Shorter than the previous event, it will be hosted over two days.
- Honoree: Lisa Parker
- The deadline will be extended as more proposals are needed.
- The president is considering inviting guest lecturers.
- Concerns were expressed about the higher travel costs for attendees from the East Coast. This was acknowledged by the president who is looking at ways to make attendance more affordable.
- 2020 National Conference: This will be held in Miami.
- ICDS3 2017
Selma Odom summarized the presenters and programs for the International Conference of Dalcroze Studies (ICDS3) at Laval University, Quebec City, Canada, from July 30th to August 3rd, 2017.
- Symposium: Improvisation as Embodied Cognition at Columbia University, NYC
This event does not have a direct link to the DSA, but the purpose is to encourage further research on Dalcroze.
- Dalcroze Teacher Training Report
The report was presented by the president on behalf of the Professional Development Committee Chair and Vice President, Jeremy Dittus.
- A chart of all the accredited training centers and levels offered for each program was presented. It can be viewed online at
- Dalcroze Certification: This information is now available on the website.
- T2 Program: This program is for people who are interested in studying Dalcroze more intensely without necessarily pursuing Dalcroze certification. It is anticipated that the program will make it easier for a greater number of people to adopt the Dalcroze approach.
- License Program: Work is still in progress on this program.
- The DSA hopes to establish a more cohesive training program in the United States.
- Dalcroze Connections
- Michael Joviala will be resigning from his position as editor of Dalcroze Connections.
- The Spring issue has been suspended to focus on other DSA projects.
- More feedback is needed with regard to membership.
- Future plans: A shorter and easier version should be published.
- Dalcroze Studies: Michael will be focusing on this scholarly journal in the future.
Reported by the president on behalf of the Scholarship Committee Chair, Mary Dobrea.
- The committee has selected six scholarship recipients this year.
- Mary hopes to secure more donations to increase the number and value of the scholarships.
- The president and members in attendance expressed appreciation for Mary’s work.
- Financial Report
The DSA is in a sound financial position with a large cash reserve.
- Fédération Internationale de Rhythmique Enseignan (FIER)
Reported by the president on behalf of Eiko Ishizuka.
- Eiko is the FIER’s U.S. representative.
- All DSA members are FIER members because the DSA pays their dues to FIER.
- One of FIER’s main projects is the re-designing of their logo and website.
- Board Members for 2017–2018
The president introduced the current board members.
- Executive Director
The job description of the Executive Director has been published on the DSA website.