Minecraft Multiplayer World - Creating a Social Contract
“This led to a great debate about whether we should let technology control our actions or whether we should be allowed to make mistakes and live with the consequences of those actions. What if I invite you over to work on my house? Can we trust external systems to make ethical choices on our behalf?” https://www.iste.org/explore/articledetail?articleid=156
Social Contract Questions - Minecraft
- What role do you want the teacher to play in your virtual community?
- How is this role different from the teacher’s role in your real community?
- How do you want to treat each other?
- How do these positive actions, and the actions of others, look like in the virtual world of Minecraft?
- How could you be a productive member (a good citizen) in your minecraft community?
- (Teacher question): What is a good citizen?
- Mentoring and Teaching Others
- Older Students
- How can you help mentor others in your virtual community?
- Younger Students
- How would you welcome someone new to your virtual community?
- How will our community handle violations of the contract? (i.e. the rules)?
- How do we define an intentional violation of our community contract?
- What should be the consequences for an intentional violation?
- How do we define an accidental violation of our community contract?
- What should be the consequences for an accidental violation?
- (Teacher Question) What do you think the difference is between intentional and accidental?
- What will our virtual community look like when everyone is following the contract?
- How can we positively reinforce our community values?