Digital Conversion Goals:
- Innovative and exceptional education (RCPS Mission Statement).
- Personalized, relevant, and collaborative learning.
- Support teachers and students in creating engaging classrooms in which digital tools are available whenever and wherever they are needed.
- Allow teachers to decide when digital tools are the best option for a particular lesson.
How did we get here?
- January 2013: RCPS School Board begins digital conversion conversation.
- May 2014: Board of Supervisors approves funding for the first year of the Digital Conversion road map.
- Summer 2014: Middle School wireless infrastructure upgrades.
- Fall 2014: Middle School pilot projects begin (Macbook Air, iPad, Chromebook devices are being tested in 1:1 classrooms).
- 2014/2015: Teachers attend professional development conferences.
- Summer 2015: High School wireless infrastructure upgrades.
- Fall 2015: High School pilot projects begin (Macbook Air, iPad, Chromebook devices are being tested in 1:1 classrooms); Digital Leadership class for 48 administrators.
- 2015/2016: Teachers attend professional development conferences.
- April 2016: Touchscreen Chromebook selected as the Middle and high school device (Click here for more detail.)
- April 2016: Schoology selected as the RCPS Learning Management System.
- May 2016: 15 elementary pilot projects selected for the 2016/2017 school year.
- Summer 2016: Wireless upgrades in elementary schools. This is a multi-year project. In some cases (FRES, JCMES, JWES, PVES), permanent upgrades will happen through school renovation.
- Summer 2016: Schoology implementation
- Summer 2016: Professional development through summer college courses and sessions taught by RCPS staff in the Hulvey Training Lab.
- August 5 & 9, 2016: Tech Toolkit Academy at Turner Ashby HS and Broadway HS.
- August 16/17, 2016: Middle and High School teacher Chromebook deployment (current desktop iMacs remain in place)
- Fall 2016: Elementary School pilot projects begin.
- Fall 2016: Ongoing professional development
- Winter 2016/2017: Middle School students receive devices.
- Spring 2017: Device decision for elementary schools.
- Fall 2017: High school students receive devices; Elementary teachers receive devices.
- Fall 2018: Elementary schools receive devices.