September 4 - Advice to New FYC Instructors
September 11 - Community Building: Ways to build communities of trust, respect, and sharing in FYC classroom
September 19 - Globalization: Working with Multilingual Writers & FYC in International Contexts
September 26 - Feedback: How to Provide Effective, Efficient Feedback
October 2 - Digital Literacy and Digital Citizenship
October 9 - Identity: How we retain our identities as writers?
October 16 - How to Foster Creativity and Play in the Classroom
October 23 - Writing in the Disciplines/Writing Across the Curriculum & Interdisciplinary Writing
October 30 - Theory: Let’s talk about what’s going on in the discipline. What are you favorite theories, scholars, research studies, etc.?
November 6 - Collaboration: In the Classroom and Beyond
November 13 - Textbooks: Do we still use them? Which are engaging? What’s relevant? How much do publishers influence FYC?
November 20 - Reading: Is there a responsibility to teach reading skills in FYC?
November 27 - Happy Thanksgiving Break :)
December 4 - Favorite Assignments
December 11 - Last Day of the Fall Semester Chats - End of Semester: What worked? What didn’t? How will you recharge over the break? What will you try next semester?
January 22 - Class content: What is the content of your class? Student writing or readings?
January 29 - Online Learning: Teaching Online
February 5 - Low Stakes Writing
February 12 - Writing Centers: How to Collaborate with Our Institution’s Writing Center
February 19 - Service Learning
March 5 - Student Retention
March 12 - Open Access - in celebration of the upcoming CCCC
March 19 - No #FYCchat - #4C14 - Catch our FYCchat members in Indianapolis!
March 26 - Reader/Writer Identities
April 2 - Going Public
April 9 - Inspiring Critical Thinking
April 16 - Campus Violence
April 23 - Our Dream FYC Setup: The Perfect Classroom/Ideal Program
April 30 - What I learned this year
May 7 - Summer Break: Summer plans
How do make sure to retain our identities as writers during the semester? #FYCchat
- I'm always a fan of discussions about online learning - especially since that's the only way I can teach now -
- Ways to build communities of trust, respect, and sharing in FYC classrooms #FYCchat
- Our dream set-up for our FYC classrooms. And, how woefully the classrooms we have fail to live up to that vision #FYCchat
- Topics: ways of prompting / coaching discussion topics and use of "low stakes" writing. #FYCchat
- Whole-class service learning in FYC #FYCchat
- Engaging and relevant writing assignment share #FYCchat
- @readywriting I've been thinking about that (not as retaining, sadly, but recreating.) Do you write with your students? #FYCchat
- Non-writing projects that help to develop critical writing skills #FYCchat
- How we can collaborate with local @writingproject outfits #FYCchat
- how do make sure to retain our identities as writers during the semester? #FYCchat
- FYC in international and ESL contexts? #fycchat
- Writing across the curriculum or writing in the disciplines #FYCchat
- How about ways FYC can be more interdisciplinary #FYCchat
- Maybe we can also talk about "publishing", both in terms of our Ss, but also in terms of our work #FYCchat
- RT @TeachMoore: How to FYC tchrs relate to prof organizations, if so which ones are most helpful? #fycchat
- We very rarely get into discipline-related talks... maybe we could talk about our favor scholars/scholarship/theories? Too dull? #fycchat
- I'd like to talk about how we foster creativity in the FYC classroom #FYCchat
- Topic: Engaging and relevant texts to use for FYC #FYCchat
- Working with multilingual writers? Have we done that in the past? #fycchat
- Topic: FYC for social justice #FYCchat
- Somewhat selfishly motivated, but what does "ethical" mean in terms of teaching and research? #fycchat
- Is there a responsibility to teach reading skills in FYC? If so, what is the best way to teach those skills?
- how to integrate problem-based learning in writing courses? #FYCchat
- @readywriting I mean genre of writing in the sense C. Miller talks about--genre as social action. Genre as texts for spcfc purpose. #fycchat
- Topic: How to provide the most effective feedback in the least amount of time #FYCchat
- Is writing the content of your writing class? How do you decide on and link readings? #fycchat
- @readywriting Lol. I guess it would be interesting to hear what everyone thinks of genre-based pedagogy in FYC. #fycchat
- @JMRifenburg Same, though I hope #4c14 engages with #openaccess issues in more than name. I'm trying to not be cynical. #fycchat
- Topic: Words of widsom/advice for new FYC teachers #FYCchat
- @comPOSITIONblog I also like the idea of talking about collaboration in the classroom and beyond. #FYCchat
- Topic: textbooks. Still helpful? I so, which ones? Textbook publishers and influence on FYC #FYCchat
- maybe we need to talk about collaborating with and making use of writing centers #fycchat
- I'd like to talk about digital literacy and digital "citizenship" in the FYC classroom. #FYCchat