July 2nd Action Messaging Guide
San Diego | July 2, 2018
Watch Video: https://www.facebook.com/pg/conmijente/videos/
Mijente Facebook | Mijente Twitter | Mijente Instagram
- Today, thousands from around the nation are mobilizing in San Diego to protest and escalate our resistance to this administration, and its agenda to ‘Make America Great Again’ by incarcerating and denying basic rights to all those its sees as marginal. Specifically, our focus is the Department of Justice’s ramping up mass prosecutions and convictions of immigrants detained crossing the border under the “Operation Streamline” program.
- The immigrants being prosecuted today were detained at the border, most for merely attempting to seek asylum. Many of them are the parents of the children being held unjustly in camps across the country. Instead of being considered for asylum, they were ripped from their children and handed over for criminal prosecution.
- Jeff Sessions directed the expansion of Operation Streamline to San Diego. Operation Streamline is a strategy of amass trials to convict migrants on the criminal charges of entering or re-entering the country, a felony for which an individual could spend up to 20 years in prison.
- SUB POINT: Trump and Sessions are pushing the racist narrative that the people detained at the border are “criminals” and “animals” trying to enter the country to threaten the safety of Americans. The truth is that those detained are trying to come to the US for their survival, and the survival of the children many of them traveled with. Many have left one nightmare only to be thrown into another because of this administration's war against people of color.
- Our demands today are 1) Remove Jeff Sessions 2) Halt Operation Streamline 3) Repeal the laws that make migration a crime 4) Abolish ICE
- More on the demand to Repeal the laws criminalizing migration: We demand that Congress stop Trump and Sessions by repealing the two laws that make migration a federal crime. The laws prohibiting “unlawful entry” and “unlawful re-entry” are the legal weapon behind the horrifying separation of parents and children by the Trump administration. Operation Streamline exists to expedite prosecutions under these two laws. Under Sessions’ “Zero-Tolerance” policy, the DOJ has ripped families apart by prosecuting and imprisoning migrant parents using these laws and placing their children in federal foster programs and tent camps.
- Sub point: Some news outlets have reported that DOJ will stop prosecuting parents crossing the border. A) The DOJ has made it clear that any slow-down is only “temporary” until they expand their capacity to cage parents and kids, and B) The ramping up of Operation Streamline in San Diego makes it clear that these prosecutions are continuing.
- More on the demand to End Operation Streamline: Operation Streamline is a federal strategy of mass hearings and mass imprisonment of migrants which the DOJ planned to start in San Diego today. Under Operation Streamline, the US government puts dozens of immigrants into a courtroom, shackled at their hands and ankles. Then, rather than giving them each a hearing, the Department of Justice puts them through a mass procedure all at once, finding them all guilty and sentencing them for having crossed the border without permission, after which they are usually deported by ICE. We are here today because officials in California announced the beginning of Operation Streamline here (the program already exists in Arizona and Texas), with Trump and Sessions planning to convict hundreds of immigrants per day. Ending Operation Streamline is essential to ending the criminalization of migration.
- More on the demand to Abolish ICE: We are calling for ICE to be abolished. Immigration and Customs Enforcement exists to target, imprison, and deport immigrants. Locking up and exiling people are their only reason for being. Immigration enforcement officers are now the largest federal police force. Their budget is more than that of all other federal law enforcement agencies combined. They are accountable to no one, and take their marching orders directly from Trump. We need to defund ICE, and we need legislation that dismantles the agency. They have only been around for 15 years, and their continued existence is far from inevitable. There’s already movement: at least 21 Democratic congressional primary candidates have come out in favor of abolishing the agency. Trump’s deportation squad should cease to exist. Immigration enforcement as we know it must end.
- Trump has Waged War on Immigrants: The Trump administration has waged a war on immigrants and revealed the cruelty of a system whose sole purpose is to target, harass, and criminalize those seeking to enter this country. As long as ICE exists, immigrants will not be safe or free. As long as immigration is criminalized and Jeff Sessions heads the DOJ, our communities will be under attack. We call on our representatives to be brave and embrace this bold vision for a total decriminalization of immigration.
- Trump has Waged War on Communities of Color: It is no coincidence that the immigrants being targeted for criminalization are people of color entering on the Southern Border. Trump and Sessions have made no secret of their desire to cement their white supremacist vision for the US. As demonstrated by the Muslim Ban being upheld this week, this vision includes relentlessly attacking all of our communities and criminalizing our struggles. We come together today to collectively Free Our Future.
Who is Mijente?
Mijente is a digital and grassroots hub for Latinx and Chicanx movement building and organizing that seeks to increase the profile of policy issues that matter to our communities and increase the participation of Latinx and Chicanx people in the broader movements for racial, economic, climate and gender justice.
How do I spread the word?
Sample Social media tweets
As long as ICE exists, immigrants will not be safe or free! They are accountable to no one & take orders from Trump. #AbolishICE #FreeOurFuture #ShutDownSessions
To #KeepFamliesTogether we must #AbolishICE #FreeOurFuture #ShutDownSessions
Things to never be civil about: concentration camps, genocide, white supremacy, misogyny, harm to children, mass trauma, state violence, rising fascism. #AbolishICE #FreeOurFuture #ShutDownSessions
Separating black and brown families is the policy of this administration. Whether it be stripping babies from their mothers at their border or implementing travel bans - it all hurts. It’s all despicable. #AbolishICE #FreeOurFuture #ShutDownSessions
We don’t need ICE to be reformed. We need it gone. We need our people free. #AbolishICE #FreeOurFuture #ShutDownSessions
We don’t need deportations to be better managed thru “family-friendly” prisons. #AbolishICE #FreeOurFuture #ShutDownSessions
Our allegiance is not to the smoother functioning of a fed agency designed to target us - it is to our people. #AbolishICE #FreeOurFuture #ShutDownSessions