VOLUNTEER KENNESAW (VKSU)
Student Center, Room 267
Because one person can make a difference!
PROCEDURES FOR STUDENTS SEEKING WAIVER CREDIT
All students must complete a VKSU application. The application is available in the VKSU Office or on the web at www.kennesaw.edu/stu_dev/vksu. Click on the International Waiver link, under Information for Students.
Under the International Waiver link, please read and follow the directions and select your volunteer sites. You must select your volunteer sites before you visit the VKSU office!
As a reminder, per Fall & Spring semester, students must complete twenty (20) hours of service!
Breakdown of service hours for individuals enrolled in the Conversation Partner Program (CPP)
- Students in the Conversation Partner Program (CPP) will receive eight (8) hours of volunteer credit. You must meet with your partner a minimum of five times face-to-face during the semester, and have your hours verified with the VKSU office in order to receive credit for this program.
- Students participating in the Conversation Partner Program (CPP) may complete six (6) hours of service on-campus and six (6) hours of service off-campus. Students also have the option to complete all twelve (12) hours of service off-campus.
Two volunteer options for students not enrolled in the CPP Program
- Students not participating in the Conversation Partner Program (CPP) must complete eight (8) hours of service off-campus. The other twelve (12) hours can be completed on-campus. Please note, you can only volunteer a maximum of six (6) hours per department or activity. For example, you could volunteer six (6) hours of service at the Box Office, and get your other six (6) hours of service volunteering for one or two campus activities.
- Students can volunteer all twenty (20) hours of service off-campus.
All students must sign up for a volunteer opportunity at the VKSU office, where they will receive a Service Verification Form to document their service hours.
- Service Verification Forms must be signed by the agency’s site supervisor and then returned to the VKSU office for final approval.
- Service Verification forms will then be forwarded to the International Office for waiver credit.
- Effective Fall semester 2012, VKSU will not give volunteer credit for hours that are not documented on a VKSU Service Verification Form.
The deadlines to submit verification forms to VKSU are always on the last day of classes for that semester!
VKSU Policies and Procedures Effective Fall 2012
Service Verification Forms
- Volunteers must register with VKSU prior to volunteering for any volunteer assignment.
- Volunteers can only volunteer at agencies and/or events that have been approved by VKSU prior to their start date. Agencies and/or events cannot be approved after you have you begun volunteering and/or completed your volunteer assignment. VKSU reserves the right to remove and/or add an agency and/or event at any time.
- All VKSU hours must be documented on a VKSU Service Verification Form that you obtain from the VKSU office prior to your volunteer activity.
- Letters, emails, faxes, and/or phone calls from the individual agencies will not be accepted.
- VKSU will not award volunteer credit to any volunteer who fails to follow these policies and procedures!
Cancelling Volunteer Assignments
- If you contact an agency to set up your time to volunteer and you need to cancel, for whatever reason, please contact that organization as soon as possible to let the Volunteer Coordinator know that you will not be able to volunteer at that scheduled time.
- Depending on the agency, if you are scheduled to volunteer and fail to show up, that organization will not allow you to volunteer with them in the future! These agencies will then notify the VKSU office of your failure to show, and VKSU will address this matter as deemed necessary. Many of the organization listed in our database are volunteer-run agencies and depend on the volunteers to be present. Without full support from the volunteers, they will not be able to function to their fullest potential. Additionally, your failure to show up could have a negative impact on the partnership between that agency and VKSU. Here at VKSU we strive to offer a variety of volunteer options and, without the full support of the agencies, we can’t continue to do this in the future.
- It is important to always treat your volunteer assignment as a paid position. Be punctual, friendly to the staff, and provide excellent customer service. You never know when you might need a job reference!
VKSU office hours during Fall and Spring semesters:
Monday – Thursday: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
Friday: 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
Abbreviated hours during breaks and Summer semester