- Your passport and a copy of the passport
- Clothes (Nicaragua appropriate)
- Mosquito repellent and also calamine lotion, hydrocortisone, or any after-bite medication to help with itching
- Sunscreen (and aloe vera gel if you are the type to get “red” instead of “tan”)
- A flashlight with extra batteries
- Hat and/or sunglasses
- A personal water bottle
- Rain gear. Our motto in Nicaragua - Be prepared for rain - always - since it doesn't stop us!
- Washcloth and towel (Not needed at Hotel El Raizon)
- Foam ear plugs (The chickens, dogs, birds, and horses can be loud at night!)
- A camera, extra camera batteries and memory. Double the memory you think you will need
- Personal toiletry items, including tissues or a roll of toilet paper since latrines and bathrooms rarely have them. Instant hand sanitizer is helpful as are baby wipes.
- Pepto Bismol, Tums, and Imodium since stomach issues can pop up at anytime
- An extra pair of glasses or contacts, if you use them.
- A plastic garbage bag to store your dirty clothes and ziplocks for keeping items clean/dry
- Bible, pen, and a small notebook to journal in during the evening
- Spending money for offering or souvenirs- *if an offering is taken during a church service and you want to give, please donate a small sum (less than $10). Please do not give money to anyone. American dollars can be spent here or we can change your money into Cordobas, the local currency. Make sure to bring small bills WITHOUT ANY TEARS. This is very important as they will not be accepted here. Credit cards can be used at gas stations and major grocery stores. ATM’s are mostly available but may or may not charge a fee.
There is no need to bring electrical voltage converters/adapters; Nicaraguan power is the same A/C power used in the United States and Canada.
Valuables - All valuables that you bring should be kept with you at all times. Keep ipods and iphones out of sight as much as possible. Never leave them where you will be sleeping when we leave during the day or left alone in the van. Do not bring any electronics or jewelry other than the bare minimum necessary.
Make sure to stay under the weight limit for your airline carrier and pack all liquids in your checked baggage. Also, label luggage with this address:
YOUR NAME (If you are staying at Hotel El Raizon*)
KM 20.3 Carretera Masaya
Hotel El Raizon
El Raizon, Nicaragua
Nicaragua Phone number: (M) 8566-2063
→ Also include a US Phone number of someone not on the trip
* For other locations, please check in advance what address to use