- The Recruiting Committee was commissioned at the May 2006 General Business Meeting by President Hartman and voted in by the members present.
- Its goal is, roughly, to increase the membership of the ACM (an auxiliary goal of the Minister of External Affairs, or Public Relations Officer). Two target groups were singled out as rich potential sources of new membership:
- CIS majors at the CBPA (Business School)
- Incoming freshmen for the 2006-07 school year
- The chair of this committee is the Minister of External Affairs. It has been strongly suggested that the Vice President as chair of the Program Committee be involved in an active role to ensure that resources are obtained and events are planned.
- Tactics for gaining membership discussed at the May GBM include:
- Making appearances at Freshmen Orientation sessions.
- Booth setups on Speed campus
- Advertising materials
- Promotional materials (including the iconic RAM chip keychains, as well as live Linux CDs)
- People to man the booths (there have been problems with this in the past) and to participate other events
- Host a "Game Night" in either the CAE lab or the ACM lab
- Providing an active presence at Intramural sporting and gaming events
- ACM general membership seems to be more active and "fit" than ever before in recent memory
- An establishment of camaraderie and fun would provide more enticement to potential members
- Visibility would be improved
- May not target any one for recruiting
- Appear at the Speed Society Picnic in each term it is offered by Speed Council
- This has been done in years' past with limited effect (probably due to poor execution on the part of ACM rather than the event itself)
- Does not address CIS majors, but targets Speed students well