Brownie Mosaic Cheesecake
Yields: one 8x8 inch cheesecake
Brownie batter adapted from Alice Medrich’s Cocoa Brownies
For the Brownie Cubes
10 tablespoons butter, cubed
¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, cold
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup all-purpose flour
For the Cheesecake
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
4 tablespoons butter, melted
⅛ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
16 ounces cream cheese, softened
½ cups sugar
¼ cup sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 325 F. Line an 8x8 inch square pan with aluminum foil, and then grease the foil.
- For the brownies, place the butter, cocoa powder, and sugar in a large microwavable bowl.
- Microwave until the butter is completely melted, stopping every 20 seconds to give it a stir. The mixture will be fairly thick.
- Stir for about a minute to cool the batter slightly, then beat in the egg. Beat the mixture until it is smooth, shiny, and glossy. Mix in the flour and salt.
- Pour the batter into the pan. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until the center is just set. (When you insert a toothpick into the center, it won’t come out clean; you want it to be thickly coated with moist crumbs).
- Let the brownies cool completely, then refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or overnight.
- You’ll only need about a third of the pan for the brownie cubes. Set aside the other two thirds to enjoy on their own! Cut the remaining third into ½-inch cubes.
- Make the cheesecake crust. Mix together the graham cracker crumbs, butter, salt, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Press the crumbs into a smooth layer on the bottom of the baking pan.
- Make the cheesecake filling. Beat together the cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in the remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and then the eggs, until just combined. Fold in the sour cream, followed by the brownie cubes.
- Pour the cheesecake batter over the crust. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the center is just set, but still slightly jiggly. Let cool completely, then refrigerate overnight.