General Body Meeting

10/30/16

9:00PM-12:00AM, Benjamin Franklin Room, Houston Hall

  1. Roll Call
  2. Open Forum
  1. Sweaters- [;aced the orders they will be coming by thanksgiving
  1. Reports
  1. President’s Report
  1. Administrator Meetings
  1. ISSS (International Student and Scholar Services)
  2. Trustee Committee on Student Life
  3. Upcoming: CURF
  1. Upcoming Events
  1. PennFaces Speakeasy
  2. Penn Leads the Vote Election Kickoff Event
  1. Vice-President’s Report
  1. UA Steering
  1. UA Report
  1. Office Hours
  2. Social Chair
  3. Member of the Week
  1. Academic Initiatives
  1. Project Updates
  1. Faculty Diversity
  1. Completion Reports
  1. Accessing Journals at Penn
  1. Dining, Sustainability and Facilities
  2. Social Justice
  1. Discussion Papers
  1. “How to be Successful with CAPS”
  1. Student Life
  1. Project Updates
  1. Career Services Headshots Status Report
  1. Discussion Papers
  1. Creating a Positive Club Recruiting Experience
  1. Completion Reports
  1. PennCard Fees
  2. Video Chat Appointments with CAPS
  1. External Seats
  1. Legal Services
  2. DAB
  1. Communications

Reports


President’s Report

  1. Administrator Meetings
  1. Cabinet met with administrators from ISSS this past week. We discussed creating an international student community space, incorporating international students into athletic community-building initiatives like Fanfest, expanding international internship opportunities, helping First Generation Low Income international students adapt to life at Penn, transparency regarding work visa requirements for international students, and international student housing during university breaks. ISSS is convening an international student life summit later this semester, which will be attended by admins from many different departments across campus. Sola is going to represent the UA at that summit and make sure that these initiatives are brought up to the appropriate administrators in the context of collaborating with ISSS.
  1. The Trustee Committee on Student Life met this week and discussed performing arts at Penn. Laurie McCall, director of the Platt Performing Arts House, gave an overview of the performing arts community and resources. Three current student performers were part of a panel to discuss their experiences with the Platt house, and two alumni were part of a panel to discuss how performing arts at Penn lead them to careers in theater and entertainment. We discussed the lack of performing arts space, rising space and other costs, and rising student-facing ticket costs.
  1. Cabinet is meeting with CURF this upcoming Wednesday.
  1. Upcoming Events
  1. PennFaces, an initiative born from the UA last year, is hosting a speakeasy event on College Green this Friday from 5:00-7:00pm. Student, faculty, and staff speakers will be sharing stories about times they struggled or demonstrated resilience. If you are interested in being a speaker, you can sign up here: https://goo.gl/forms/LFhmZMxRcfMapaqk2. To learn more about PennFaces, go to pennfaces.upenn.edu.
  1. The UA is partnering with PLTV to host an election kick-off event on Monday, 11/7. There will be a DJ, photo booth, and refreshments. More details will come once they are finalized, but I hope to see you all there!

Vice-President’s Report

  1. UA Steering
  1. We will be meeting with the Provost and Vice Provost for Education this coming Tuesday at 7pm in Starbucks Under Commons. We will be discussing relevant issues relating to mental health for student athletes, Graduate Student Center, student breaks, and academic related issues.

UA Report

  1. Office Hours
  1.  I will be holding office hours this Wednesday 12-1pm in the UA Office, 6.30-7.30pm in Starbucks Under Commons and Friday 3-4pm in the UA Office.
  1. Social Chair
  1.    In an effort to organize exciting social events and bonding activities, I have decided to appoint a Social Chair for this session. The Social Chair is…
  1. Member of the Week. This week’s member of the week is...


Academic Initiatives


Project Updates

Faculty Diversity

Authored by: Calvary Rogers

I have met with administrators from the Provost’s office, specifically Will Gipson, Vale Cade, and Lubna Mian, regarding the specifics of how Penn handles faculty diversity. Training for faculty diversity consists of a 1.5 hour optional training for committee departments that recruit faculty. Survey reports on faculty diversity are only distributed every three years and tend to morph different minority groups together inconsistently. As for keeping minority faculty here, I learned that the contracts of professors are extremely dependent on student surveys, and many professors who are of color and/or are women tend to get reviewed much more harshly than professors of other identification, and thus are more likely to lose their contracts. I am focusing on improving the requirements of training, the wording and frequency of the survey report, as well as the use of surveys to manage contract extension.

I have been working with UMOJA and 5B to look into faculty awards. Together we decided on rewarding departments with a plaque at the end of each year. In terms of nomination, the University currently has no mechanism to distribute the nomination forms across the entire student body, so we would have to do it through the UA listserv. In terms of selection, the Faculty Senate on Diversity and 5B will collaborate on choosing a winner, as the nomination form will require a reason justifying the nomination. The Vice Provost currently is working on our budget, and it seems that open nominations are set to open in March! We are planning on giving out 3 awards collectively to faculty programs and individuals.

Completion Reports

Accessing Journals at Penn

Authored by: Nile Nwogu

After Sam Shea presented about the loss of Wharton students’ Financial Times subscription, I wanted to look into why most students do not take advantage of this and other subscriptions. After speaking with several librarians, I learned that Penn Libraries subscribes to several newspapers/journals around the world that all Penn students can access. This is a great resource for students that we pay for in our fees! Students just have to go to the Penn Libraries website and open a database called Factiva. From that page they can choose any journal of interest and read full articles that are mostly up to date.

With Michael Krone's help, we now have an infographic for the student body to guide them through this simple process. After a brief review / last minute tweaks on Monday or Tuesday, Kat McKay will send this to the entire school this week. Let me know if you have any feedback.


Dining, Sustainability, and Facilities



Social Justice


Discussion Papers

“How to be Successful with CAPS”

Authored by: Kaylee Slusser

 

Background:

Many students at Penn struggle with mental health issues. There have been several suicides over the past few years and instances of poor mental health practices that may not even have reached the public knowledge. Students have coined it “Penn Face,” agree that it exists, and yet there is still a stigma when it comes to reaching out for help for themselves. It is a common attitude to believe CAPS services are a good resource, just not one that they need-- not now at least. This is an issue on our campus because sometimes it takes something dramatic to happen before a student will reach out. However, if we can encourage students to be more in tune with their mental health by using CAPS services proactively, the overall mental health of the school can improve.

 

After I attended the Wharton Alumni Colloquia event, Navigating Corporate America, with Triston Francis, a Firm Management Associate at Morgan Stanley, it seemed for the first time students were being receptive to the idea of CAPS being for everyone. Triston used the first section of his presentation to discuss talk about what his common practices were during his time at Penn that he believed made him successful. One of those practices was using CAPS on a regular basis. Even for Triston, his usage of CAPS began with a dramatic even; however, he decided to continue using CAPS and found that it helped him personally and later professionally. Despite this being just a fraction of the presentation, when it came time to questions, students wanted to know how he used CAPS and what he discussed in these sessions. This presentation, because it was given by a powerful and successful alum, flipped “Penn Face” on its head by showing that using CAPS is a strength not a weakness.

 

The Social Justice Committee and CAPS can work together to get more students to regularly use CAPS services before rather than after a crisis occurs by using the University’s successful and inspiring alumni that used CAPS during their time at Penn or counseling services after Penn.

 

Discussion Questions:

 

1.     What is the best way that the UA can spread this message?

a.    Video (working with DP, other mental health groups to blast out)

b.    Bigger presentation (event) with the focus on mental health

                            i. Will students come to this?

2.     How could we reach out to other successful alumni to see if they also used CAPS during their time at Penn or counseling services after Penn?

a.     Can CAPS guide us in the right direction or is that a confidentiality conflict?

3.     Should we include students currently at Penn with successful internships?

 


Student Life


Project Updates

Career Services Headshots Status Report

Authored by: Kat McKay

Administrators from Career Services met with representatives from Weigle Information Commons to develop a pilot model for giving students free professional-quality headshots. The pilot session will be on Friday, November 18th from 2:00-4:00pm. Students were asked to RSVP for 5-minute slots, although walk-ins will be accommodated if there are any openings. Weigle took RSVPs and is going to take the pictures and send them out to students within a week of the event. Initially, Career Services was going to send marketing and sign-up materials to the UA for us to help promote the event, but after tweeting about the collaboration on 10/27 all of the available slots were filled. Weigle is going to evaluate how the pilot goes and then possibly make changes to the program going forward.

Discussion Papers

Creating a Positive Club Recruiting Experience

Authored by: Riad Hamade, Jay Shah, and Brian Goldstein

Mental Health is a multi-faceted issue and one aspect that needs a closer look at Penn is the club recruitment process. After getting feedback from students who have gone through the process and having gone through the process ourselves, we realize that there are certain aspects of club recruitment that need to be reviewed and possibly changed. Freshman very early on in their Penn career are hit with rejections followed by rejections. We believe that this sets a early negative tone on the Penn experience, and it should not be that way. Moreover, in their first few weeks students should focus on healthy transitions into college, rather than stress over club applications, auditions, and interviews. Students end up applying to numerous clubs, with varying degrees of interest and fit, because there isn't enough time to explore all the clubs in full detail.

We’re inspired by two recent developments on this topic:

  1. The issue received attention in a DP op-ed, “Upperclassmen, remember the human”, authored by Sarah Simon. The article sheds light on the club recruitment process--one you should definitely look at if you haven’t.
  2. To address issues regarding its constituents’ recruitment process, Wharton Council made a list of policies that would apply to all organizations in the Council. This is also something to look at.

Seeing these progressions, we really believe that something has to be done and that is why we are taking a look at this issue. Combined, Jay and Riad have met with Jeremy Cohen, SAC Chair, three times thus far. Should we choose to proceed with this, we will be collaborating with SAC on this project. From the administrative side, Jay brought the project up at the meeting with Val Cade, Vice Provost for University Life, and we have full support from her office however we choose to proceed. Likewise, Jay has talked to Executive Vice President Craig Carnaroli briefly about this matter, and he also mentioned his concern and support for the initiative.

The next step is to send out a survey to students, with the purpose of identifying feelings and thoughts about recruitment processes. Another survey will be sent out to only those clubs in SAC, asking them to provide club information and details of respective recruitment practices.

The tentative questions for both surveys are listed below:

Survey for Students

  1. What year are you? (F/So/J/S)
  2. How many student organizations did you apply to as a Freshmen?

Answers: 0-2, 3-5, 6-10, 11-15, 16+

  1. Can you estimate your applications’ success rate?

Answers: 10-20%, 30-40%, 50-60%, 70%+

  1. What parts of the process were the most stressful (select all applicable)?
  1. Meet and Greet
  2. Written Application
  3. Interviews
  4. Auditions
  5. Resume Collection
  6. Coffee Chats
  7. Other (please specify)
  1. Did you receive personalized rejection emails from student organizations? (never, sometimes, often times, always)
  2. Do you think the student organization recruiting process is unfair? (Y/N)
  3. Do you think student organizations should recruit Freshmen before the 3rd week of the semester? (Y/N)
  4. Please provide any personal feedback regarding your experience applying to on-campus student organizations.

Survey for Clubs

  1. What is the name of your organization?
  2. Please describe your leadership and membership structures: exec board, committees, open membership, etc.
  3. Please describe your recruitment process: auditions, applications, interviews, other
  4. If you hold interviews / auditions, how many rounds do you have?
  5. How many people do you take? What percentage is this of total applicants?
  6. When are your application deadlines?
  7. For those not accepted, what are the alternatives for them?
  8. How do you notify rejected applicants: general email, personalized email, no notification, etc.?

Discussion Questions:

  1. Regarding club recruitment, what other factors should we take into consideration?
  2. How do we reach clubs that are not SAC recognized?
  3. What is the most effective method of disseminating the student survey?
  4. Is there anything that should be added/removed from the surveys?

Completion Reports

PennCard Fees

Authored by: Lawrence Perry and Elena Hoffman

On Wednesday, October 26th, we met with Angela Goldston, the Director of the PennCard Center, and Barbara Lea-Kruger, Business Services’ Director of Communications and External Affairs, to discuss the University’s rationale for the current lost PennCard Fee. As of today, the fee for a lost PennCard is a flat rate of $30 regardless of if it’s your first or tenth replacement. We were informed that the PennCard replacement was currently undergoing restructuring. Ms. Lea-Kruger noted that the University has completed the transition to keyless entry ahead of schedule. This has allowed the University to renegotiate with the cardstock vendor. As a result of the savings from renegotiations, the University made adjustments to PennCard replacement fees, passing on the savings to students. The new structure (Initial $0, 1st replacement $20, 2nd and beyond $30) will be rolled out starting 2017-2018. The University will use its savings to subsidize the $10 cheaper fee from the first loss.

Video Chat Appointments with CAPS

Authored by: Simon Miller

On Friday, October 28th, Sam Shea and I met with Dr. William Alexander, Director of CAPS, to discuss the possibility of and rationale behind creating a way for students to have video chat appointments with CAPS through either Skype or Google Hangout. We did not intend for these appointments to replace the normal in-person therapy appointments, but to be used as a supplement for students who would normally not have time to speak with the therapists at CAPS’ facility. After discussing this with Dr. Alexander, he made a point of showing that having those in-person appointments is essential to therapy. Video chat meetings would not have the same impact as a normal session at CAPS because chatting over a video service does not allow the client and the therapist to develop a strong relationship.


External Seats


Legal Services Update

Authored by: Taylor Becker

UA Legal Services has finally hit the ground running, with 5 students meeting with our UA Attorney this past Monday! Our attorney Mr. Higgins said he thought it was very well-managed and did not have any feedback for improvement as far as the process went. Throughout the rest of the year I would love to hear your feedback on how we can continue to spread the word about UA Legal Services. (We have served 7 students so far, and have had many more requests, but people's issues are usually resolved before meeting with our attorney.) I think our goal should be to exhaust our UA Legal Services budget allocation so that we can allocate even more for next year! This is arguably one of the coolest things the UA does, and one of the most tangible ways students can see the UA helping them.

DAB Update

Authored by: Lawrence Perry

This week DAB met with the Penn Dining administration. We discussed Meatless Monday. Executive Chef Chris Smith presented (see attachments) the sample Meatless Mondays. After discussion with Penn Dining, DAB agreed that all Meatless Monday should begin January 2017. This gives DAB, the UA, and student groups a window to develop student-lead marketing.  At the meeting we also decided that completely meatless Mondays would happen on the 1st and 3rd Mondays of the month. There will be meat options on the grill and deli on the 2nd and 4th Mondays of the month. Penn Dining would also like to encourage students to develop relationships with Chefs in dining halls. They have announced the Dinner with Chefs initiative, in which residential chefs will have family style dinners with residents in dining halls. Penn Dining announced that they are currently reevaluating the current meal plan structure.  We discussed the UA’s concerns about the Colombia Emergency Meal Funding model. We were informed that this is more feasible that expanding individual swipe conversions.


Minutes


  1. Roll Call
  2. Open Forum
  1. Tunmise- I have been working on developing a guide for voter engagement. Looks very good- thanks krone. We will need help getting this guide circulated so I will need your help. It is non partisan. It has a lot of useful information for everyone. Do you know of any groups that may be interested?
  1. GPA, Penn Leads the Vote, Penn Dems, Penn for Hillary, CHAS, Class Board,
  1. Brian- I have noticed that in my committee session there are a lot of websites that Penn Labs work on but are outdated and if we can get get them to maintain their information
  1. Eric- They should be doing that and you can talk to Jay about this
  1. Elena- Penn Leads the Vote-the UA is co-sponsoring the event with them on Monday. It will be like a kickoff for the election. There will be performances. We will need help posting on all the groups. We need to invite as many people as possible.
  1. Reports
  1. President’s Report
  1. Administrator Meetings
  1. ISSS (International Student and Scholar Services)
  1. It was very valuable having Riad and Sola there being international students. They are having a major meeting having a lot of the major administrators there. They told us to bring some of the topics mentioned up again at this meeting.
  2. Lawrence- International housing. Did you mention early move in?
  1. We have talked in the past about ISO which is like NSO but earlier. Housing has told us that they need every day over the summer. The question is that is it fair that they have an extra fee. It is not fair that they have to pay extra for housing when we are inviting them early. The question is now how do we cover the extra fee. It came out of the UA budget for the 2015-16  year but conditionally. If you want to work on this, we can work on this.
  1. Tumise- when should we bring up projects?
  1. There is a lot of oversight so Thursday night is when you should get them in. If there is something that comes up later, you can bring it up during open forum.
  1. Trustee Committee on Student Life
  1. We talked about performing arts at Penn and how is it done in various aspects of student life. There was a panel from students in performing arts and alumni who were inspired during their time at Penn. I raised the question of ticket prices. SAC spends a lot of money on space because that is very expensive. We talked about new space issues and getting a new performance stage. We want all students to take part in this and that cost should not prohibit students from attending events.
  2. Jay- Did they talk about finding new spaces or creating new spaces?
  1. One of them mentioned that they could use public school place. Other administrators turned that option down. Provost Price mentioned that there was a council created for this evaluating the current status for performing arts at Penn. No concrete details.
  1. Eric- Other trustee meetings?
  1. There was a meeting on Budget. We are going to put together agenda items for the spring. I want there to be student input in the decision making process. We also talked about undergraduate fees and financial aid. I have specific numbers written down.
  1. Krone-If you need help with the performing arts committee, please let me know
  1. Thank you but Jay is on it and he is part of a performing arts group.
  1. Taylor- When PAC groups are charging money, is there oversight?
  1. PAC groups have to give back a certain percentage of ticket revenue back to SAC. They have to give back a lot and keep a little. This is something that we could talk about.
  2. Riad- Pac groups have to give back 20% back to SAC
  1. Lawrence- Is the meeting in the spring for next year?
  1. Yes that is for next year
  1. Upcoming: CURF
  1. We are meeting with CURF on wednesday. Please send agenda items to your committee director.
  1. Upcoming Events
  1. Penn Faces Speakeasy
  1. It is like a student-administrator initiative that was inspired by Princeton. Students will be speaking from different perspectives. If you are interesting in being part of this, please let me know.
  1. Penn Leads the Vote Election Kickoff Event
  1. They asked us to co-host. Elena talked about it before. It will go out in the all-school.
  1. Vice-President’s Report
  1. UA Steering
  1. Meeting with Provost price and VP Bethwinklestein Tuesday at 7:30 in Starbucks under Common.
  1. UA Report
  1. Office Hours
  1. They are on the agenda
  1. Social Chair
  1. The Chair will be Kaylee.
  1. Member of the Week
  1. They MOW will be Kaylee.
  1. Academic Initiatives
  1. Project Updates
  1. Faculty Diversity
  1. Calvary-This week I met with administrators from the Provost office. I was trying to see where things were with faculty diversity. I was trying to see if there was racial training. There is an 1.5 optional training which is not the best. There are survey reports and these come up every 3 years. They said it was too much work to have them more often. They basically group all of the minorities together. Professors of color and women are grades harshly and they are usually ones that are cut. There is no option on application on diversity on political ideology. UMOJA and 5-B will get together to determine winner. Kat, we will need of all school for this.
  2. Tunmise- In terms of working with report. They have been changing how they group the report and frequency. Provost just switched to a bi-annual system in terms of changing that format.
  1. Calvary-The survey report is very extensive and student groups don't need that. We just want raw. They said too much work.
  1. Jay- Is there a committee currently that goes through the survey questions and are there going to be monetary awards?
  1. Its the academic department for each school that goes through it. And it is a plaque.
  1. Completion Reports
  1. Accessing Journals at Penn
  1. Nile-Sam had mentioned earlier that Wharton ended Financial Times. There is something called Factiva. With Krone, we made an infographic and it explains how to get to the database. Kat will send it out in the all school.
  1. Natasha- What does mostly up to date mean?
  1. Nile-Depends on the journal because some are weekly while others are daily.
  1. Dining, Sustainability and Facilities
  2. Social Justice
  1. Discussion Papers
  1. “How to be Successful with CAPS” (TABLED UNTIL NEXT WEEK)
  1. Student Life
  1. Project Updates
  1. Career Services Headshots Status Report
  1. Kat-They talked to Weigle and they are moving forward with this. November 18 is the trial date. Weigle tweeted about this and the slots filled up very quickly. They want to go through this pilot first before doing anything. If you meet with a career services meeting, you can ask them to take your headshot.
  1. Jason- What is Weigle?
  1. Kat-Weigle is part of Van-Pelt. There is an area that has booths and computers, film studio. It’s where people do group work.
  1. Elena- This past week on facebook, people have been doing professional shots as profile pictures?
  1. Jason- yes that was part of a club
  1. Taylor- Is the UA name on this? We should get credit for this
  1. Kat-Yeah I agree
  1. Discussion Papers
  1. Creating a Positive Club Recruiting Experience
  1. (Jay, Riad, Brian)
  2. Kyle- The survey assumes that everyone got into some club that they applied to, so why is there not a 0% success rate option?
  3. Kanishka- The goal is to push back club recruitment to when?
  1. It would be pushing recruitment back not to the spring, but less early on when students need to focus on academics and acclimation.
  1. Kanishka- The UA for example is a big commitment to even run for, there might be constraints, especially for performing arts groups. Greek life is pushed back to the spring already, unsure as to the feasibility.
  1. Collaborating with SAC, looking at different club categories within SAC to address different needs. Wharton Council already adopted a rule of application deadlines before mid-September. The guidelines would vary based on category.
  2. Clubs would be look at case-by-case, but there needs to be a streamlined process.
  1. Lawrence- Reach out to other funding boards to address non-SAC groups.
  2. Natasha- Maybe add an option about “initiation” to the stressful aspects question, and make sure clubs are transparent about the time commitment that they require.
  3. Jason- How are groups going to go about lowering competitiveness for groups that have high caliber of experience requirement?
  1. We would look into adding a “general membership” aspect of clubs. Want to make sure there is an alternative option for participating if you don’t get in. We see this moving forward by approaching umbrella organizations and other funding boards and asking them to implement this within their organization. The idea is to come up with something to refer back to and to make sure that it is being useful, which is why we partnered with SAC.
  1. Calvary- Include in the survey “was there a club that you wanted to apply to, but you didn’t because you thought it was too hard to get in”?
  2. Nile- Where do you go from analyzing question 4 on the survey for students?
  1. We want to make sure that this process for recruitment is humane, and will address on a case-by-case basis.
  1. Samara- Because clubs eventually form into social groups, how would delaying recruitment affec socialization among new students? There is a club shopping period, but people find their friends through clubs.
  1. The benefits of settling and finding themselves within campus and giving them more time to get to know these clubs. This could be through having GBMs for interest, which a lot of clubs already do. During the VPUL meeting, Dr. Bill Alexander brought that into consideration, but we have seen that people apply to many clubs and end up getting rejected from a lot of them.
  1. Kanishka- If you backup recruitment too much, you end up getting into midterm season, which would be really stressful for freshman. Is this project to make the process easier for freshman or to make the rejection process easier for them? An unfair aspect of recruitment is knowing members on the group, and favoritism toward people who are outgoing. Figure out the underlying problems for it and evaluate the end goal.
  1. For midterms, we considered that, and are going to work to make it not conflict with midterms. The purpose of the survey is to try to figure out what students think the issue is. Taking a holistic view of this issue.
  1. Kat- The UA can control whether or not SAC-recognized groups adhere to guidelines by giving SAC conditional funding. SAC is on board with this and has certain funding guidelines that enforce repercussions. The survey for students is too long, the club one can be as long as it is because it can be mandatory. For UA, we serve as a good model because you run later and if you lose you can apply to be an AM. Use clubs that are good at recruiting as models. Your first few weeks at Penn shouldn’t be rejections.
  2. Aren- Will there be a distinguish between competitive and noncompetitive clubs?
  1. That’s the reason that we are following SAC categories. Admins brought this point up as well.
  1. Tunmise- Many groups have opportunities to be involved, like Strictly Funk, without maybe being in the competitive aspect.
  1. Have groups incorporate alternative options in rejection letters.
  1. Eric- Giving people that extra time at the beginning of the year might make freshman want to do more things to fill time.
  2. Simon- Auditions happens at the same time, and it makes it difficult to manage them if you want to go out to multiple groups. Look into alternative scheduling for PAC groups.
  3. Jordan- Education about clubs could be improved. Early recruitment can be beneficial for clubs, maybe look into waves of recruitment for clubs.
  1. The only problem that we see with that is that many clubs don’t send out rejection emails, so waves of auditions might give false hope.
  1. Taylor- It seems problematic to tell students how to organize themselves, especially because restrictions might have some consequences.
  1. UA would work with clubs and not just set regulations, keeping the leadership of student organizations in the loop. At VPUL, Val Cade said that three rounds of interviews for a club is not normal.
  1. Sam I- Consider the varying retention among clubs. Is there a check on these clubs once they accept members? Penn Dems has levels of applications for varying levels of interest.
  2. Elena- Many clubs had their applications due at the same time, which can be a problem for students who want to do many things.
  3. Natasha- Add to the survey a question about spring auditions?
  1. Completion Reports
  1. PennCard Fees
  1. Elena and Lawrence-Met with Angela and Barbara Lee Kruger from Business Services. Right now it is a flat fee of $30 no matter how many times you lost your card.. We went in a different structure. They university has heard the student concerns. Because SALTO locks have been replaced. The initial card will be free, the 1st replacement will be $20, the 2nd and beyond will be $30.
  2. Dante- Do you have to pay if it doesn't have chip?
  1. Yes
  1. Tunmise- Great job. Did she speak about Penn Card chip services? For ex, some dining places have blackboard.
  2. How are you getting this out?
  1. Elena-Maybe working with comm team and then getting support from the DP
  2. Lawrence-Some have chips and some don’t
  1. Calvary- As someone who has lost their Penn Cards a lot of times. If you go to Bookstore, they add in the chip for you. We could spread the message.
  1. Lawrence-They graduated system was made for people like you
  1. Eric- We could look into price for keys? Do we still have to pay that?
  1. They would issue a temporary card and they are looking at a prices for that. As for the locks we would not have to pay for that because the locks would no longer have to be replaced.
  1. Calvary- If I lost my card last year, and I lost it next year. Does the counting restart?        
  1. I will find out
  1. Sam S- I don’t think the counting should restart.
  1. Video Chat Appointments with CAPS
  1. Simon-We met with Bill Alexander who is the director of CAPS. We did not expect this to replace the current appointments. He said that having in-person therapy has unique advantage. Video chats do not allow for the relationship to form. There is a misunderstanding around CAPS. They are for people who have severe psychological disorders, depression. I want to push on segregating what CAPS does and establishing a middle ground for students to talk about their stress. That is something that we can talk about in the future.
  1. Gabbi- What do you mean by a middle ground?
  1. Simon-I have talked to RAs and most people would talk to their friends. Some people don't trust adults.
  1. Elena- Is there a way for there to be a google hangout as a substitute for a alternative for walk in appointment.
  1. Sam- if there is an emergency, you can always walk into CAPS. In that situation, you have to be assessed.
  1. Brian- I know previously we were discussing the length? Splitting them into smaller sessions?
  1. Simon- Each therapy session is made based on the dosage of the medications. Those one-on-one appointments are meant for people on medication and have to coordinate a lot.
  1. Aren- I think this is a very important step in making CAPS more available? A lot of people who have a problem want to deal with it immediately. They might not want to deal with it after 2 weeks because they have that waiting time. I think they should embrace technology.
  1. Simon-They are actually trying to do this. This 2 and a half week period wait time will be reduced by next semester. They have been going through a lot of changes.
  1. External Seats
  1. Legal Services
  1. Taylor-When there is an issue, it is usually resolved within the wait time. We are on track to exhaust the Legal Services budget. Justin did a great job last year with marketing. I envisioned getting more requests next year so maybe we can increase the budget.
  1. Dante- what types of services does this provide?
  1. Taylor-30 min consultation with this lawyer. It can be anything legal. I am not in the position to say whether something is or isn't a legal matter.
  1. Krone- tell me how many infographics you need
  2. Aren- I think last year something similar was brought up. I think it's important that students know that anything said through email is not private and can be used against them.
  1. Taylor-I don’t know how anything said to me can get there but it is worth having a disclaimer.  Jacob Henner is still helping us out!
  1. DAB
  1. For the 1st and 3rd mondays it will be completely meatless. The other mondays there will be meat available on the Deli area. They are also piloting this program called Dining with Chefs where students can chat with the chefs. Also students submitting recipes to the chefs . The Columbia model will be implemented this semester.
  1. Tunmise- Was the point of having no meat of having to get…….Why is there no meat?
  1. It was brought up that it is better for the environment and for health. It shows that the university is committed to university and health.
  2. Tunmise- I was making sure it was an intentional choice
  1. Sam S- Can you walk us through this model?
  1. They set the budget for the dining halls based on plans. Dining Dollars does not get allocated to the House halls so they want to keep it in-house. For outside vendor, that is not a Penn Dining issue. Dragon Dollars is the equivalent of Penn Cash
  1. Simon- Will there still be a conversion dates?
  1. Yes there will be.
  1. Tunmise- Discomfort about having this turned over to the model? The onus of this should fall under the university. Extras should be donated- there was a UA project I think during Joyce’s time.
  1. They have coined this Penn-for-Penn initiative. DAB seemed to be in favor of the Columbia model. The admins agreed with this as well.
  1. Communications