Upcoming JHPDA Meetings
(Campus map for meeting & event locations)
Professional Development Committee
When: Monday, Oct. 27, 12:30 pm
Where: MRB/BRB Daily Grind
Contact: Jineta Banerjee
When: Tuesday, Oct. 28, 12:30 pm
Where: Cobblestone cafe
Contact: Thibault Mauxion
JHPDA Monthly Board Meeting
Learn about ongoing JHPDA programming and events. Open to all!
When: Wednesday, Nov. 5, 5:30 pm
Where: PCTB 113/114
Future JHPDA Events
When: Thursday, Oct. 30th, 6:00 pm
Where: Ross/BRB Daily Grind
See center panel for details.
When: Saturday, Nov. 8th, 10:00 am
Where: Paintball Adventure Park
See center panel for details. RSVP req’d.
Visiting Scientist: Career advice & talk
Who: Nancy Thornberry (LinkedIn)
When: Thursday, Nov. 13th, 11:00 am (career advice) and 3:00 pm (talk)
See center panel for details.
JHPDA Executive Council
Co-president: Corinne Pettigrew
Co-president: Casey Rebholz
Treasurer: Jeff Norris
Secretary: Pankhuri Vyas
Committee Chairs and Webmaster
Communications: Cynthia Zhang
International: Thibault Mauxion and Beth Zucconi
Policy and Advocacy: Kirsten Block
Professional Development: Jineta Banerjee and Yuejin Li
Socials: Justin La Favor
Webmaster: Paul Aiyetan
New JHPDA Meetup.com Group
JHPDA has created a Meetup.com group for postdocs interested in attending smaller local events around Baltimore, such as concerts, art walks, happy hours, museums, and other happenings. Go to Meetup.com, create a profile, and join the Johns Hopkins Postdoctoral Association Meetup Group. Receive emails about weekly events other JHPDA members are attending or create your own meetup for an event you want to attend.
Business & Consulting Mini-Case Competition & Info Session
The Hopkins Business and Consulting Club is hosting a mini-Case Competition. Attend to compete in the event, network with consultants, enjoy a happy hour, and learn about consulting.
Info session: Tuesday, Oct. 28th, 5:30 pm; 1830 Building, room 2-108
Case Competition: Friday, Nov. 7th
More details here
Register for mini-case competition here
Increase your on-campus visibility
Are you publishing a paper? Let Marketing and Communications know by sending your manuscript, journal, and anticipated publication date to JHMedia@jhmi.edu.
Get your Flu Shot!
Click here for more information on times and dates.
Fall Telling Stories about Science Events
- Wednesday, Nov. 5: Peter Agre
Where: Wood Basic Science Bldg. Aud.
More details here
Hopkins SOM Evenings at the
Baltimore Symphony Orchestra
When: Saturday, Jan. 10, 2015, 7:00 pm
Details: Stravinsky's Rite of Spring
Event includes the concert, Q&A session, and a catered reception; see the above link for more details
Great, inexpensive photography
The Department of Pathology, JHMI offers excellent photography services. For more information, click here.
Joining the JHPDA
Interested in one of our committees? Want to contribute to postdoc events, policy and training? Good ideas for future events?
Email us: email@example.com
Bulletin provided by the JHPDA Media and Communications Committee
Want to contribute to our bulletin? Know of an upcoming event, or want to write an article for our “In Brief” section?
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tell Your Stories: Submit a post
Postdoc Business Cards
[Includes instructions for postdocs in the Schools of Medicine and Public Health, and postdocs at Homewood.]
BusyGrad: housing, reviews, buy/sell items
[BusyGrad is not affiliated with Hopkins.]
IN BRIEF: 2nd Annual Postdoc Retreat - input requested!
The 2nd Annual Postdoc Research Retreat - to be held spring 2015 - will focus on career options for postdoctoral fellows.
Now, we want to hear from you! Know someone that may have good career advice for postdocs? Have thoughts on what type of career information would be helpful? Send us your ideas!
Though your retreat planning committee has a number of ideas for breakout session topics and plenary speakers, we welcome additional input. Please send any retreat ideas to email@example.com by Friday, November 7th!
UPCOMING JHPDA EVENTS
Celebrate Diwali 2014, Thurs., Oct. 30th
Join the JHPDA in celebrating the Indian “Festival of Lights,” Diwali!
Free Indian food and drinks provided!
Dinner will be followed by Indian music and Dandiya dancing! Dandiya is a very popular form of group dance and a special feature of the Navratri festival celebrated all over India. It is comprised of very simple steps that one can learn on the spot!
When: Thursday, Oct. 30th, 6:00 - 8:00 pm
Where: Ross/MRB Daily Grind
Paintball at Paintball Adventure Park, Sat., Nov. 8th
Come play paintball with the JHPDA. Friends are welcome but space is limited!
When: Saturday, Nov. 8th, 10:00 am
Where: Paintball Adventure Park, 3939 Old Taneytown Rd., Taneytown 21787
Travel: Carpooling may be organized based on availability
Who: Postdocs and their friends (18+ years of age)
Cost: $20 for 500 paintballs (JHPDA covers entry and equipment rental)
Info Session: Entrepreneurial Mentoring Program, Mon., Nov. 10th
Interested in entrepreneurship or working in a start-up? The Hopkins Biotech Network (HBN) invites postdocs to an information session for their Entrepreneurial Mentoring Program. See flyer for panel and presentation details.
When: Monday, Nov. 10th, 5:30 - 7:30 pm
Where: Tilghman Auditorium (Turner concourse)
Career advice for postdoctoral fellows & afternoon lecture by visiting scientist Nancy Thornberry, Thurs., Nov. 13th
Nancy Thornberry (LinkedIn) is an Independent Consultant in the pharmaceutical industry. Mark your calendars for these two upcoming events:
1) Join fellow postdocs to get career advice from visiting scientist, Nancy Thornberry.
When: Thursday, Nov. 13th, 11:00 am
Where: Preclinical Teaching Building, Room 517
For more details, click here.
If interested in joining Nancy Thornberry in a small-group lunch on 11/13, please email firstname.lastname@example.org by 10/28.
2) Lecture: “New Therapeutic Opportunities in the Treatment of Type 2 Diabetes”
When: Thursday, Nov. 13th, 3:00 pm
Where: Mountcastle Auditorium, Preclinical Teaching Building
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITIES
Professional Development Office (PDO) Events:
Ruth D. Vogel Professional Development Award ($500 for conference or meeting travel)
The Hon. Ruth D. Vogel Fund for Professional Development provides up to four $500 awards per year to JHMI students, residents or postdoctoral fellows for attendance at a scientific workshop, conference, or similar scholarly meeting during calendar year 2015. The candidate must be the presenting author of an oral or poster presentation.
Instructions and application form: click here (awards announced early December)
Deadline: November 6, 2014
Questions? Email email@example.com
One hour Lunch-and-Learn
On Wednesdays during your lunch break, come discuss important topics that leverage your marketability when looking for a job. You may attend any or all seminars, there is no restriction.
Register here (for headcount purposes only)
- 10/29: The Power of LinkedIn (PCTB, Room 113/114)
- 11/05: Introvert? Extrovert? Using Your Strengths (PCTB, Room 113/114)
Fall 2014 Research Leadership for Postdocs (lunchtime modules)
When: Tuesdays & Thursdays, 12:00 - 1:30 pm (unless otherwise noted below)
Where: 1830 Building, classroom 2-108
- 10/28: Networking
- 10/30: Promotion and Tenure, Reward and Recognition
- 11/04: Mentoring
- 11/11: Building and Managing Teams (3 hours)
- 11/13: Inclusive Excellence; Hot-Button Issues in the Workplace
- 11/18: Working within Your Organization
- 12/02: Managing Research Funds, Faculty Panel
- 12/04: Intellectual Property and Entrepreneurship
- 12/09: Time Management (11:30 am - 1:30 pm)
- 12/11: Project Management (3 hours)
Topics covered include: the federal grant process and “grant culture”, mechanisms of particular interest to new investigators, choosing a "fundable" research problem, writing a competitive application, the NIH system of peer review, developing a budget and budget justification.
When: Monday, Nov. 17th, 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Where: West Lecture Hall, ground floor of 725 N. Wolfe Street
Additional Professional Development Events:
CIRTL, the Center for Integration of Research, Teaching and Learning
October Webcasts (CIRTLCast) Series: 12:00 - 1:00 pm
- 10/28: Grading and Effective Feedback in the American System
Bloomberg School of Public Health Career Services Office Events (Fall 2014)
Fall 2014 event details for SPH postdocs, including event descriptions, locations, RSVP links can be found on the Career Services Office website.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- 10/29, "Access to Experts" information session: EY (RSVP)
- 10/30, "Access to Experts" information session: KP Mid-Atlantic (RSVP)
- 11/04, “Access to Experts” information session: EIS/CSTE Fellowship (RSVP)
- 11/05, “Access to Experts” information session: FDA (RSVP)
- ...more November events coming soon!
Postercraft: The Art and Science of Crafting a Poster
Ever wonder what font you should use on your scientific poster? Think color might make your poster a hit at the conference? Learn the answers to these important questions and more.
When: Wednesday, Nov. 19th, 12:15 - 1:15 pm
Where: Sheldon Hall, Bloomberg School of Public Health
Sponsored by: Delta Omega, MPH Program, Professional Development Office
Professional Development Module Program courses offered by the Center for Leadership Education in the Whiting School of Engineering. Click here and here for details.
- The Neuro Challenge (deadline 10/31, flyer link, website link)
- Investigators in the Pathogenesis of Infectious Disease (due 11/03, link)
- NIH Loan Repayment Programs (due 11/17, link)
- ASU Origins Project Postdoctoral ($10K) Prize Lectureship Nomination (due 12/01, link; more information here)
- The Dan David Prize scholarship ($15K; due 3/10/15, application link; for details about selected fields of interest, click here)
- Research Study, paid participation: Physical & Mental Fatigue Study (link)
- Request for guest editors for Biochemistry Insights Journal (contact Mariana Figuera Losada)
FELLOWSHIP & JOB OPPORTUNITIES
Recent additions listed below.
- 2 postdoc positions in lab of Dr. Mark Anderson; research in calcium and redox signaling and mitochondrial metabolism in cardiac physiology & disease (link)
- Senior Scientist Position @ NIEHS/NIH (link)
- Lead Clinical Research Associate (In-House), Hinckley, OH (link)
- Brain Trauma Research Fellow/Associate 4 (link)
- Public Health Support Lead/Program Manager (link)
- Sleep and Performance Scientist (link)
- Protein Engineer/Molecular Biology Scientist (link)
- Biogen Idec Postdoctoral Program (link)
- Research Opportunities in Europe for NSF-funded postdocs (link)
- International Opportunity: Scientific Instrumentation (link)
- Pancreatic Cancer Action Network, Scientific Grants Manager (link)
All Job and Fellowship listings are compiled here.
Details on NIH job listings are also compiled here.
Other opportunities can be found here.
EVENTS AROUND BALTIMORE
Local Events Outside Baltimore City
For other local events, visit http://baltimore.org/events or here.