SWEETCORN & CHILLI SOUP (feeds 4-6)
4 rashers smoked back bacon, diced small
25g butter (I used goat butter, which I recommend!)
2 tbsp rapeseed oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 leek, finely chopped
1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced small
½ red chilli, finely chopped
800g sweetcorn niblets (frozen, fresh or a combination of both)
1 litre vegetable stock (I used Essential Cuisine's vegetable stock powder with 1 tsp cheese stock powder mixed in, however the cheese stock is optional)
1 tbsp lemon juice
a handful of fresh parsley, chopped
2 tbsp double cream.
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and add the bacon. Fry until the fat has rendered and the bacon is beginning to caramelise around the edges. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and reserve. Sweat the onion off in the bacon oil for 5 minutes or so, then add the butter and leek and cook for around 5-10 minutes - until nice and golden but not caramelised at all - stirring occasionally.
2. Add the chilli to the pan and continue frying for about 5 mins, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the corn, sweet potato, the reserved bacon, stock and some salt and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes, until the corn is tender but still crisp.
4. Transfer two-thirds of the soup to a blender and whizz to a coarse puree. Add this back to the pan and stir in the lemon juice and parsley.
5. Bring back up to temperature, taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
6. Serve with a swoosh of double cream and a sprinkle of parsley.