SPICED BLACKBERRY AND APPLE LATTICE PIE (serves up to 6)
165g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
25g ground almonds
55g sugar, plus 3 tbsp for the fruit, plus a little for sprinkling
120g chilled unsalted butter, cubed
2 medium eggs, used individually
2-3 Braeburn apples
A good quantity (as many as will fit!) of blackberries
1 tsp ground cinnamon
half a tsp grated nutmeg
quarter of a tsp ground cardamom.
1. Make the pastry by stirring the almonds into the flour and adding the sugar. Stir through. Rub the butter into the mixture until you have what look like breadcrumbs.
2. Add one egg - bit by bit - until you have a soft not sticky, dough. You may not need the whole egg for this.
3. Form the pastry into a disc, cover with cling film and leave in the fridge to rest for at least 3 hours.
4. Cut the pastry into two sections - a third and two thirds. Using the two thirds, roll out and line the pie dish with the pastry, making sure you have no air bubbles.
5. Line with baking parchment and fill with baking beans, then bake at 180degC/350deg F/Gas 4 for 20 mins, then remove the baking beans and bake again for 10 mins until the pastry is dry and sandy.
6. In the meantime, sort the blackberries. You want to remove any that might have mildew or damaged areas. Peel the apples and cut into small chunks and place in a bowl, then microwave until they are softened and just beginning to break down. Leave to cool a little.
7. Once cooled, add the blackberries. Add the spices and sugar (use your intuition as to how much sugar you will need. If the apples and blackberries are particularly tart, add a bit more) and toss gently to coat evenly.
8. Tip the spicy fruit into the part baked pastry, along with any juice.
9. Roll out the one third piece of pastry and cut long thin strips.
10. Using the second egg, egg wash around the edge of the part baked pastry, then lay the strips on top of the fruit, interweaving them as a lattice and press down on the ends to "glue" them to the part baked pastry and trim off the excess.
11. Give the lattice a good egg wash and sprinkle with a little sugar.
12. Bake at the same temperature as earlier, for 25-30 mins until the pastry is golden, cooked through and the fruit is softly cooked.
13. Leave to cool to just warm, then serve.