Children’s Kiva Montessori School
Elementary/Middle School - Board of Directors Meeting
03.16.15 at 6:45 pm – Beech Street
BOD Approved on 04.20.15
- Call to Order: Julie S. called the meeting to order at 7:30 pm.
- Roll Call: Julie Suckla, President; Anna Cole, VP; Tamia Hurst, Secretary; Nate Seeley, Treasurer; Josh Warinner, ED
Absent: Julie Bell, member; Susan Likes, BM
Community Members: Teresa Oaks
- Vision – Children’s Kiva Montessori School will provide a vibrant and engaging learning environment based on the teachings of Dr. Maria Montessori that supports all students’ academic excellence and ability to become empowered, creative, lifelong learners responsible for themselves, their community, and their environment.
Mission - Children’s Kiva Montessori School uses authentic Montessori Methods, Community-Based educational approaches, and integrated academics (STEAM) to support student academic success, responsibility, and independence.
Montessori Moment – Julie S.
Next Montessori Moment: Julie B.
- Approval of the February 9, 2015 and February 16, 2015 Minutes: Anna moved to approve the minutes as written, seconded, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Approval of Agenda: Anna moved to approve the agenda with adjusted times, seconded, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Community Member Forum: no discussion
- Status of previous meeting’s action items – Tamia
- See “Elementary/Middle School BOD Action Items – February 16, 2015”
- Everyone: continue to enter appeal names and info to database on Google.
- Development Committee: create a strategic plan for fundraising/spending…”Financial Summit”.
- Anna: give a BOD update to Josh each month to include in the newsletter…ongoing assignment.
- Josh: create a monthly calendar and have staff sign up for events/meetings.
- Josh: prepare and present an Enrollment succession plan to the board.
- Josh: discuss protocols for surveys with Tony.
- BOD President – Julie
- CLC Conference
- Empire Electric grant
- Presentation by Henry Cole went fantastic. We asked for $2500; their board will meet next month and make a decision. Regardless of payout, it was a great experience/exposure for our school.
- How can we get our students in front of more boards?
- Executive Director – Josh
- AMS report
- CLC conference
- School updates
- Josh: continue to make revisions to calendar and include family nights, etc. before it goes live to parents.
- Budget & Financial Oversight Committee – Nate
- Preliminary Budget
- Lengthy discussion of Salaries vs. Farm Lunch
- Nate and Susan: set up another budget finance meeting with board approval to follow.
- CLC Conference
- Nominations Committee – Anna
- SCYC youth member (this was just for CH)
- SWOS staff member
- No red flags on recommendations in report; move forward.
- Curriculum Committee – Anna
- Help with Innovation Fair
- Anyone interested in helping please contact Anna.
- New Business
- Tamia: create a “Conference Folder” under the Kiva Shared Documents. All those you have attended a conference can upload their notes/documents to this folder.
- Calendaring – BOD President
- Upcoming events
- Board Retreat on May 2nd
- March 24th Family Innovation Night
- Innovation Fair, May 8th
- Staff Inservice Lunches
- Friday, March 27 – Shamai and Anna (Breakfast)
- End of year staff meeting, May/June - TBD
- Next BOD meeting
- Monday, April 20, 2015 at 6:30 pm
- Review all Action Items – Tamia
- Items for Future Agenda(s) – Julie
- Executive Session – (Julie recorded on iPhone)
- At 9:15 pm Julie S. moved to enter into Executive Session according to C.R.S. 24-6-402 (4)(e) specifically for determining positions and development strategy for negotiations and instructing negotiators. Julie stipulated that all BOD members be in attendance (absent Julie B.).
- Julie S moved to exit out of Executive Session at 9:47 pm. Motion seconded, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Adjournment: Julie moved to adjourn, seconded, unanimously approved. Motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 9:47 pm.
Prepared by Tamia Hurst, BOD Secretary