Mountain Pacific Curling Association
Board of Directors Meeting | Winter 2014
Date: Monday, December 8th, 2014 7PM
Call-in Information: See email re: Uber Conference
X Brian Patrick (President@MoPacCA.org)
X Peter Hicks (VP@MoPacCA.org)
X BriAnna Weldon (Secretary@MoPacCA.org)
X Don Eshelby (Treasurer@MoPacCA.org)
X Nick Kitinski (Nick@MoPacCA.org) - USCA Representative
Tim Irish (Ogden@MoPacCA.org) – Ogden CC
Julie Breton (WCCC@MoPacCA.org) – Wine Country CC
Mike Wolfe (CacheValley@MoPacCA.org) – Cache Valley Stone Association
X Barry Ivy (SFBACC@MoPacCA.org) – San Francisco Bay Area CC
X Steph Jensen (Hollywood@MoPacCA.org) – Hollywood Curling
X Brian Walsh (CSD@MoPacCA.org) – Curl San Diego
X Steve Liske (Evergreen@MoPacCA.org) – Evergreen CC
x Don Eshelby (Boise@MoPacCA.org) – Boise CC
Debbie Basrak (ParkCity@MoPacCA.org) – Park City CC
X Mike Shaw (Coyotes@MoPacCA.org) – Coyotes CC
X Olivia Stella (OCCurling@MoPacCA.org) – Orange County CC
X Barry Bollenbacher (Missoula@MoPacCA.org) – Missoula CC
X Nick Kitinski (LVCurling@MoPacCA.org) – Las Vegas Curling
Suzette Machado (Klamath@MoPacCA.org) – Klamath Falls Curling
X Lanny Derby (Oval@MoPacCA.org) – Oval Curling Club
X Larry Sidney (LTEC@MoPacCA.org) – Lake Tahoe Epic Curling
Merwyn Nash (McCall@MoPacCA.org) – McCall Curling Club
Summary of Action Items for Board
- Non-Nationals Competitive Committee: contact Nick for more information
- MoPac Mission/Vision/Goals Updating: contact Olivia to help out
- MoPac Playdowns volunteering: Let Brian know if you can help out during the tournament
- Fill out MoPac Club Surveys and return to Bri by 12/31/14
- Dues & Memberships Lists due to USCA & Don by 1/20/14
Updates & Announcements
- Welcome new board members!
- Peter Hicks back to the board as the new VP
- Received a copy of main balance. Only two new items $3,000 deposit for playdown. and -692 for the replenishment of the pins.
- Collecting club surveys please turn in by the end of the year!
Management & Other Topics
- Asked the USCA to include note that MoPac dues turn in earlier. So that we get complete rosters. Clubs have to send a spreadsheet to USCA and they will enter the data. Don would like a copy of the spreadsheet as well by January 20th instead of the 31st.
- Nick: In the past, you can add members to the database at any given time to start receiving their magazines. … So turn in what you can and add later.
Committees & Memberships
- 16 men’s teams and 5 women’s teams participating and 1 team for Mixed
- Finalizing the draw, rules, etc.
- Committee: Brian Patrick, Steph Jensen, Adam Endicott, Art Placek, Shawn Tait, Barry Ivy, (and Michael Lively)
- Can you sub players once you win a playdown? Only the fifth - can be added on at anytime.
- How many teams is MoPac sending? One team for sure, not likely to be able to send two.
- Do you need help at the playdowns? Yes, trying to coordinate with Coyotes via Shawn. Bri can volunteer all day Friday and during the men’s draw. Olivia may be able too. Lanny (and his team) more than willing to help out where they can. Mike is going to check in with the CCC and follow-up.
- Mixed seeding and competition will depend on number of teams
- Potential of running a level 1 officiating course at the same time as playdowns so people can get their required time in
- Nick will check in with Kim about officiating and timer certifications. USCA is revamping the whole officiating certification process.
- 5U registration opening 12/14
- April 18-19, 2015. Seattle. Draws & format tba based on number of teams
- Michael Lively will still be there.
- USCA Representation
- Members Meeting summary
- Lots of new changes going on (Check out the notes sent by email). “Growing the support through competitive excellence”
- New expectations of board members as a policy based board as staff is taking over day to day operations.
- Fundraising is a new major goal. Various programs occurring (Hawai`i, corporate sponsorships, Super Bowl, envelopes to members)
- CEO search - Rick Patzke’s job is up for grabs. (He is able to apply but it is an open request).
- First Member’s Assembly went well. More staff, board, and speakers than anything else but it was really successful. They set it up well with talks about dedicated ice, social media, and other seminars.
- All members are direct members to USCA. Nick is going to look if the clubs should still be servicing all of this or if members should directly apply to USCA. Most clubs bundle fees similarly - USCA dues, MoPac dues, Club fees, insurance etc. - could be to club’s advantage to keep the bundles.
- Regions continue for playdowns.
- Hawai`i club may or may not be a USCA club (unclear at this time) but if they are they’ve been admitted as an at-large club. If MoPac wants to include them we’d have to apply. Recruitment is a new territory, but in the past we have reached out to clubs to offer start-up support. We hear about it after the fact in many cases.
- Montana has a number of clubs (several hundred) who are independent USCA clubs, and MoPac would probably benefit from continued solicitation. Mutually, they’d need to go through playdowns to play in nationals. They get the insurance through USCA.
- Seems like you can be part of USCA and not part of a region.
- Clubs retain the option if the votes cast as part of the regional group or individually (if a club representative is present).
- Committees are restarting - staff in charge and anyone can serve. There is a new committee (based out of Alaska and looking for MoPac members) - competitive curling outside of nationals, ask Nick for info if you’re interested in participating.
- Are they allowing board members to have their say and groups come to a decision and asking for support of the decision … or are people being stifled? You can speak up during the decision, but after the decision is made expected to support.
- What’s the advantage of adding clubs? Before there was a political reason to add members → more votes. But now the amount of Board members is set.
- There could be some benefits to holding more regional events
- How does MoPac/USCA support the group of recreational curlers?
- Another teleconference in January. Hopefully there will be more information on the CEO search.
- Nick & Brian will continue to investigate Hawai`i and report back to the board.
- Nick’s term is wrapping up. 6 meetings/yr. 2 telephone and 4 travel and a free lunch. Pay your own way. Meetings move around.
- Portable curling facility? WCF has it. LTEC is going to apply - is anyone else. SFBACC is planning to apply.
Round Robin/wrap up
- Portable curling facility? WCF has it. LTEC is going to apply - is anyone else. SFBACC is planning to apply. Intended to support clubs that didn’t have a dedicated facility.
- LVCC is having their bonspiel Feb 6-8
- Curl SD’s rink is opening next week! Wed 8:30. Moving up to Carlsbad. First league has been sold out!
- Missoula - MoPac Open Mar 27-29. 10 Canadian teams in the at large. 10 from Montana. Purchased an Ice King for use. Any notion if any teams will be coming - let Barry know so they can plan.
- Does MoPac have a Mission Statement? Should be in the bylaws - promote/develop curling (hasn’t changed). Maybe it’s time to look at it and goals. Olivia will start a committee and see where it goes. (Brian?, Bri volunteer)
- Barry may have a connection to get a good price on stones 6 sets for a good price is MoPac or clubs are interested. Barry can get more information and get back to the board.
Next meeting: Between February - March (unless we need to vote on something sooner)
Board of Directors Mtg | 12-8-2014 Page of