LEMON & POPPYSEED SAUCE (serves 4-5)
1 tsp rapeseed or olive oil
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 tbsp poppy seeds
1 tsp sweet paprika (not smoked)
200ml chicken stock
1 tbsp clear honey
zest of 1 lemon
juice of half a lemon
150ml soured cream
sea salt & freshly ground black pepper.
1. Heat the oil in a small saucepan and add the shallot. Cook over a gentle heat, taking care not to allow the shallot to brown. Once the pieces are turning transparent, add the poppyseeds and a teensy pinch of sea salt. Continue cooking until the shallot is completely transparent (around 5-7 minutes).
2. Add the paprika, chicken stock, honey, lemon zest and juice and stir well to combine.
3. Bring to a lively simmer and cook until the liquid has reduced by half.
4. Remove from the heat and add the soured cream. Stir through until completely combined and taste for seasoning. Add a little more salt and a good quantity of freshly ground black pepper.
5. Continue to cook on a gentle simmer until the sauce has again reduced a little and the consistency is that of double cream.
Serve with roast chicken and vegetables such as peas, carrots, roasted sweet potato etc., instead of gravy.