Pass the Cocoa
Classic Chewy Brownies
Yields: 16 brownies
Loosely Adapted from the Tart Tart
½ cup butter, cubed
3.5 ounces unsweetened or bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped (at least 70% cocoa solids)
¾ cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, cold
¼ cup cocoa powder
¼ teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon baking powder (optional; you can omit this if you want a more dense, fudgy-er brownie)
¼ cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a 9x9 inch pan with aluminum foil, and grease the foil.
- In a heatproof bowl over a pot of simmering water, combine the butter and chocolate. Heat, stirring occasionally, until melted and smooth.
- Mix in the granulated sugar. Beat in the eggs one at a time, and beat vigorously for about 3 minutes. The batter will look lumpy and grainy at first, but keep on beating until it turn thick, smooth, and glossy.
- Mix in the cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder, then fold in the flour.
- Pour the batter into the pan, and bake for 18-20 minutes. You don’t want to over-bake them! The brownies will have set and risen oh-so slightly, but the center should not be completely firm. A toothpick inserted into the center should be covered with moist crumbs.