The Vihara Innovation Network (Vihara) is a laboratory for governance and capitalism. It is dedicated to creating new forms of value through innovation and entrepreneurship, to overcome social, public and civic challenges of our times. Vihara draws from over 12 years of innovation consulting for emerging economy environments. It’s methodologies are rooted in user-centered design, product development, monitoring and evaluation as well as capacity building. Vihara has worked on a variety of development challenges in public health, financial services, agriculture, mobile telecommunications and livelihoods. It has worked closely with Indian and global private, public and social sector organizations including, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, USAID, DFAT Australia, UNDP Global Pulse, Nokia, Vodafone and Humanity United, amongst many others.
Over the last two years, the Vihara Innovation Network has run the Bihar Innovation Lab in collaboration with the State Health Society, Bihar supported by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. The Lab is a first of its kind public innovation lab that conceives, builds and deploys high impact health systems innovations to reduce maternal and child mortality and save lives in rural Bihar. Building on this experience Vihara is now turning to the challenge of under 5 childhood mortality. New research suggests that the greatest danger to children under 5 is not acute illnesses, but prolonged vulnerability that produce worse than anticipated outcomes, particularly when combined with other childhood illnesses. Through a two year collaborative program of research, design and development, Vihara will explore the risk factors that make young children in Bihar vulnerable to mortality, design new mechanisms for screening these children, and pilot innovation packages to reduce mortality rates. Vihara is building a dynamic, passionate and dedicated team of researchers, designers and development practitioners for a variety of roles within this program.
Designation: Design Lead
Location: Delhi / Patna
Experience: 3-5 years
Date of Joining: Immediately
Masters in Design (Information Design, Communication Design, Graphic Design, Visual Communication, Design Strategy, Design Management, Service Design) with work experience in public health
- Experience and exposure to user-centered design approaches to tackling serious social challenges
- Demonstrated command of design methods, tools and application
- Ability to approach challenges in creative and strategic ways
- Tendency to adopt collaborative approaches to problem solving and ideation.
- Ability to differentiate and lead convergent and divergent brainstorming activities
- Proven track record of with designing and prototyping across multiple forms, materials, use-cases, end-goals, and consumer groups
- Communicating insights through powerful and clear information design i.e. reports, data models, illustrations, storyboards, photographs, visual ethnography and other multi-media techniques, presentations
- Excellent written and verbal communication, to be able to clearly articulate complex thoughts and arguments.
- Good planning and time management skills for effective task management.
- Ready to work in challenging demographic locations
Key Job Responsibilities:
- Leading a team of design researchers to undertake all design activities as part of the program
- Translating field findings into directions for design activities as well as solutions, balancing user-needs with program requirements as well as technological or other constraints
- Conceptualizing and creating data models, visualizing concepts and graphic layouts representing research findings
- Design and facilitate collaborative ideation and brainstorming activities including idea generation, clustering activities, prioritization and voting exercises
- Lead rapid iterative prototyping on field taking concept solutions to higher and higher degrees of fidelity, including evaluation and validation tools
- Identify collaborative and partnership opportunities for designing new solutions
- Analyze and represent research findings through rich textual, audio and visual mechanisms including data models, presentations, experience maps and other new techniques
- Creating field, interim and program reports
- Represent the program and organisation nationally and internationally through conferences, convenings, meetings, as well as other outreach activities including knowledge dissemination and business development.
- Liases with partner organisations monitoring, learning and evaluation (MLE) teams to improve solution designs
- Public health enthusiast
- Cloud evangelist
- Design software maestro
- Prototyping genius
- Bhojpuri, Magadhi and/or Maithili speaker
- Curious about MLE
Interested candidates can send in their application using this form. For any questions please write in to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Enquiring about the Design Lead Position.