Answer the questions below using full sentences.
1. What is Matariki?
7 sisters / maori new year
2. What is a constellation?
A group of stars
3. When do the Matariki stars reappear?
May or June
4. What did Māori believe the stars would look like if it was going to be a good season?
If the stars were bright it would be good season if the stars were not it would not
5. What do these words in Te Reo Māori mean in English?
6. List two ways Māori people celebrated Matariki.
Singing and dancing
7. During Matariki, people celebrate with music, songs, dance, food and family.
True or False?
8. What stories do you think Māori shared at these times?
Moai and the sun
9. Name a celebration that is important to you, when is it celebrated and how you celebrate it.
10. Think of one way you could celebrate Matariki with your class or family. What would you do?