Adapted from Cookie Baker Lynn
Yield - 24 pieces
3 packages unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup cold water
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
5 candy canes, crushed
powdered sugar for dusting
- Grease a 9x13” pan and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Add 1/2 cup of cold water to the bowl of a stand mixer and sprinkle the 3 packages of gelatin on top. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan add the sugar, corn syrup, salt, and remaining water. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Heat and cook until the syrup reaches 240 ˚F.
- Use the whisk attachment and turn the mixer on low. Drizzle in the hot syrup.
- Keep the mixer on low until the syrup is combined and then turn the mixer on high for about 15 minutes or until the marshmallow is light and fluffy. Add in the peppermint extract and mix until well combined.
- Spread the marshmallow in the pan and sprinkle the crushed the candy canes on top. Let the marshmallows set.
- Liberally sprinkle a surface with powdered sugar. Use kitchen shears to cut the marshmallows into pieces. Dip the edges in more powdered sugar to avoid sticking.
- Store in an airtight container.