Themes for the season / Fake News & Alt-Facts
+ Reclaiming the Web
avantaggiato at sagrado punto edu
- Intro / First readings
- Blog Prep / Motherboard syndication /
- Prep of list of influential people in new media
- A Domain of My Own?
- Blogging 102
- WP / Functionalities / Options
- Themes; Plugins
- Syndication / RSS
- RSS Aggregation/readers
- Citizen Journalism
- Discussion 1 / Readings C.1 & C.2
Discussion 2 / Silos; Facebook; freedom (of expression etc.)
Discussion 3 / "Open" → Answer to What Question?
Discussion 4 / Reclaiming Conversation
[Proposed reading of chapters from the book AND from "xxxxx": each couple one chapter. Each produces posts, video interviews, [one 5-page essay?], one final mini-class lecture.
[NOTE: Item 3 may be segmented in different time frames]
- Una foto cada día 2017
- Animated GIFs challenge(s)
- Imaging design → Movie posters remixpretation
- Radio & Podcasting: Goal → Setup a periodic podcast, live broadcast on ds106radio
- Video: Goal → Produce something on the lines of "Visions of students today"
- Lists / diigo+delicious (social bookmarking)
- Curate through blogging / tumbling / paper.li / etc.
- Social publishing with Known / The withKnown platform
Our Reading List
- Personal Cyber Infrastructure (Gardner Campbell) http://www.educause.edu/ero/article/personal-cyberinfrastructure
- Highlights of Doug Engelbart’s Mother of all demos http://dougengelbart.org/events/1968-demo-highlights.html
- History of the Web http://webfoundation.org/about/vision/history-of-the-web/
- "25 Things You Might not Know About the Web on its 25th Birthday" John Naughton http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/mar/09/25-years-web-tim-berners-lee
- The Web We Ought to Give to Students (Audrey Watters) https://medium.com/bright/the-web-we-need-to-give-students-311d97713713#.663li2o0q
- The Garden and the Stream: A Technopastoral (Mike Caulfield) http://hapgood.us/2015/10/17/the-garden-and-the-stream-a-technopastoral/
- The Web We Have to Save. The rich, diverse, free web that I loved — and spent years in an Iranian jail for — is dying. Why is nobody stopping it? https://medium.com/matter/the-web-we-have-to-save-2eb1fe15a426#.7h63q8qze Or as followup alt, his later article in the Guardian “Iran's blogfather: Facebook, Instagram and Twitter are killing the web” http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/dec/29/irans-blogfather-facebook-instagram-and-twitter-are-killing-the-web
- Anywhere But Medium (Dave Winer) http://scripting.com/liveblog/users/davewiner/2016/01/20/0900.html
- Take sides - is Google Making us stupid http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2008/07/is-google-making-us-stupid/306868/ or is the internet making us smarter? http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704025304575284973472694334.html
Reclaiming Conversation Theme
- Reclaiming Conversation: The Power of Talk in a Digital Age, Sherry Turkle, Penguin Press 2015. http://www.amazon.com/Reclaiming-Conversation-Power-Talk-Digital/dp/1594205558
- The flight from conversation. Lauren Cassani Davis, The Atlantic (7 Oct. 2015). http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/10/reclaiming-conversation-sherry-turkle/409273/
- Fear of Screens, Nathan Jurgenson, The New Inquiry (Jan 25, 2016). http://thenewinquiry.com/essays/fear-of-screens/
Similar / Related Courses (worth plundering from
- Digital Studies 101 “A Course on the Web About the web [/]” (Jesse Strommel, UMW) https://dgst101.com/
- How the Web Works - a class at Austin College http://howthewebworks.acdigitalpedagogy.org/
- Thoughtvectors in Concept Space (VCU, Gardner Campbell) http://thoughtvectors.net/
Tools to explore
Shared Web Annotation
I suggest we use http://hypothes.is to annotate our web-based readings; this is a way we can see each other’s notes and have discussions in a meta layer of a web page. Each annotation has a reference URL https://hypothes.is/a/AVKAzeiLvTW_3w8Lyih6
If we tag our readings, e.g. #inf115 we get a record of all notes https://hypothes.is/stream?q=tag:%27inf115%27 (maybe we add another tag for topics?) and each person has a record of their activity https://hypothes.is/stream?q=user:acct:firstname.lastname@example.org
Owning one's own data?
Daily posts challenges?
Medium / Ghost /
Piazza / Discourse / discussions
Twitter Lists: http://chronicle.com/blogs/profhacker/using-twitter-lists/39353
Storytelling with Odissey.js: http://cartodb.github.io/odyssey.js/
Questions / Issues
- Free content development OR a track assigned to each??
- Content-wise: Issue challenges each given period?
- Resuming: Each students / Each lesson? Or, as it has been done in past, in turns?
Invite lecturers/collaborators for some parts of course (besides Alan & me)