ORRC_logo_200.jpg

Return to OregonRoadRunnersClub.org

Working Board Meeting Agenda

Tuesday, July 7, 2015
Sports Office Board Conference Room
6 p.m. to 8 p.m.

Attendance (Quorum achieved)

Notes

Present:  Steve Wright, Valerie Pratt, Will Cortez, Erin Wissig

Excused: David Green

Guest: 

Meeting minutes by Erin Wissig

Agenda Item

  • Call to order

6:00 p.m.

  • Old Business

  • Website Transition Update- Steve Wright

6:01p.m.

The transitions team is projecting that PDX Seed will be done with the site by the end of July. They are making a few adjustments to the home page. Emails are scheduled to go out to the stakeholders requesting page content by July 17th.

The team is still working on getting photos to utilize on the site.

  • Finance Committee Update- Valerie Pratt

6:10 p.m.

Valerie was unable to attend the last committee meeting. She will update the board once she get’s the meeting minutes from those who attended.

  • 2018 RRCA Conference questions answered-Steve Wright

6:20 p.m.

What advantages does hosting the event provide the club?

It will provide visibility on a local level. By hosting the event we can help increase membership by showcasing our club to runners and training coaches here in Portland.

It will also provide national recognition.

Will it make the club money?

The hosting club splits the profits 50/50 with RRCA. The Spokane club made $25,000 profit from their conference.

Will be have enough volunteers?

Most hosting clubs don’t rely solely on their club members to staff the event. There are an abundance of volunteer programs within in local businesses that partner to come out to the event as volunteers. We would partner with these organizations to provide volunteer staffing. A few examples in our community include PGE, Kohl’s and Bank of America.

What costs would be covered by the club?

We would be responsible for paying for the deposits on all items for the conference for example: the hotels space and meals.

Will our members get a discount?

This is something we would need to create a process for. The short answer is yes, when a club member volunteers they can attend the sessions for a discounted entry or possibly for free. However this would only apply to educational sessions.

Steve is still working on getting in touch with RRCA to find out if they are open to us submitting a mid year bid. This bid is contingent on the board approving that this project move forward.

  • Merchandise Coordinator Job Description -carryover

6:25 p.m.

Bonny Benton is still considering taking over this position. She will update us at the next board meeting of her decision.

In the interim Erin Wissig is handling it within her job responsibilities. Erin has also expressed interest in handling these duties long term if Bonny chooses not to accept.

No, additional changes to the job description have been received since the board meeting.

  • Office and storage garage update -Steve Wright & Will Cortez

6:35 p.m.

We are waiting on an update on the tenet meeting happening this month with our current landlords. Nothing new to report at this time.

The garage clean up day is scheduled to happen in this quarter. Will is presenting date options at the race director meeting this month. Proposed dates are: 7/18, 7/25, 8/1, 8/15, or 8/29. We will need 6 people to help assist. The goal is to take a full inventory of our equipment and purge any unneeded or damaged items.

  • Privacy Policy - carryover -Steve Wright

6:45 p.m.

Once approved the policy will go on our website. Dave Green is still reviewing the policy from a legal standpoint. It has been tabled until the next board meeting.

  • New Business
  • Clocks repaired - Steve Wright

7:00 p.m.

The old clocks are currently in Grants Pass being updated. They are both getting new batteries and an upgrade to allow for remote control. They repair place is also providing us with a manual for how they work. They will be returned at the end of July.

The goal of fixing these clocks is for both the club to utilize and to add to our rental inventory. Ideally we can create a rental price structure that will cover the cost of the repairs.

  • Training Volunteer program update- Erin Wissig

7:10 p.m.

Erin is proposing that we changing from an individual volunteer manual for each race to having a club volunteer manual similar to the race director's manual.

The basic outline for the manual including descriptions and templates is created. At this time we need to decide if we will create individual manuals as originally planned or adjust to one manual.

Erin is working with Michael Allen to update the ORRC bucks tracking and delivery system. It should be completed for board approval by the August meeting.

  • Catlin Gabel track lease request -Steve Wright

7:20 p.m.

Coach Jim has requested funding from ORRC to cover the cost of his 2016 lease on the Catlin Gabel track. This will be tabled until it is presented to the board. The general feeling is that it will fall under our community giving program and the guidelines we are currently creating.

  • Summer Solstice and July 4 update- Will Cortez

7:25 p.m.

Summer Solstice numbers are decreasing every year.

Friday, 2013=240 registrations, Saturday, 2014=166 registrations

Sunday, 2015=101 registrations.

Will proposes moving the event back to the Friday date and adding a ORRC picnic to the event. The space is free for the club to use and with the current kids mile it lends itself nicely to creating a club event.

4th of July had 178 registrations but we are still waiting on the final confirmed number who attended the event.

  • Garlic Run/ Dual Dual status -Will Cortez

7:30 p.m.

Garlic Run

At this time the event is on track. Will is sending an email to the race director to confirm that volunteers will receive printed maps of the course and that a mailer is being sent to local residents reminding them that the race will be coming through their community. He is also confirming that the course needs to be marked this year to avoid participants getting lost.

Dual Dual

They will have chip timing this year, a new finisher medal and a new logo. The race director would like to have 100-150 people participate. He has requested a paper mailing about the event be sent to all club members. This doesn’t seem like the best use of club funds so I suggested that we send an eblast.

We will also reach out to Hood to Coast to see if they would be open to sharing their team captain list with names and emails. This race is a perfect training option for Hood to Coast participants.

  • RD meeting agenda update- Will Cortez

7:35 p.m.

We are currently going to cover the branding guide that our marketing team is creating specifically the watermarks for race photos. The budget, open race director positions and we will have a guest speaker from the Portland Race Walking community coming to present and help us understand how to accommodate race walking at our events and the need for a committee to decide on how we will handle it within our club.

  • Round Table

7:45 p.m.

Erin- I will be starting the process of reviewing all items we order in bulk and reaching out to local companies to asses if we are getting the best pricing possible. She will compile her results and present to the board to review. This falls in line with our goal of controlling our budget and making sure we are leveraging our buying power and branding.

Valerie- The RRCA club president of the Maui chapter has offered to provide discounts to their races if we would be willing to reciprocate.

Will- It would be great if Erin had a chance to meet with the Brimroses to asses what supplies they are currently ordering for the club.

  • Adjourn

8:00 p.m.