Easy Christmas Sugar Cookies with Candy Melt Decorations
Adapted from Christmas Vanilla Sprinkle Sugar Cookies
Yield - 34 cookies
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 vanilla bean, split
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
candy melts in assorted colors
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the butter until creamy.
- Add the sugar and seeds of the vanilla bean to the butter and take a minute to massage the vanilla into the sugar. Beat until pale yellow.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla extract, scrape the bowl as needed.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into the butter mixture and mix on the lowest speed until barely combined.
- Break the dough into 2 balls and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 ˚F and line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll out the dough on a well floured surface to 1/4” thickness. Use your favorite cookie cutters to cut shapes and place on a the cookie sheets. The cookies do not spread, so they can be placed close together. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the edges just begin to brown. Move to a rack.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack before storing.
- Melt the candy melts in a double boiler with a small spoonful of coconut oil (less than a teaspoon). Pour into a disposable piping bag and clip the end.
- Decorate cookies as desired, I preferred the quick back-and-forth. Add sprinkles as desired.
- Repeat with different colors.