Student Arrival & Dismissal Procedures
Discovery revised its arrival and dismissal procedures for the return to school to implement health and safety protocols due to COVID pandemic. If you have any questions related to our school drop-off and pick-up procedures, please contact Discovery’s main office team at 703-228-2685.
- Families will complete a daily symptom screener for students. (i.e., Qualtrics Platform Survey) before building entry or loading the bus.
- School begins at 9AM and ends at 2:20PM.
- Extended Day Program is not operational for before or after school care.
- Doors open at 8:45AM.
- Students who walk, bike, or ride in a car will enter the building at door 1 (main entrance).
- Students who ride the bus will enter the building at door 6 (main entrance).
- Staff will complete temperature checks for students who walk, bike, or ride in a car before building entry.
- Walker/Biker: Staff conduct temperature checks at top of 36th Street stairs or on the sidewalk near the field/flagpole.
- Car Rider: Staff conduct temperature checks at the vehicle.
- If students are bus riders, bus drivers conduct temperature checks prior to students loading the bus. Families/caregivers remain with students on school grounds or at the bus stops until staff or bus drivers conduct temperature checks.
- Students will enter classrooms between 8:45AM and 9AM upon their arrival Instruction begins at 9AM.
- Dismissal begins at 2:20PM. First, bus riders dismiss. Next, walkers and bikers dismiss. Then, car riders dismiss. Bus riders dismiss as their buses arrive on the bus loop (11 students/bus).
Walking and Bicycling to School
- Discovery encourages families who live in the walk zone to walk or bike to school. APS revised its walk zone for the 2020-21 school year by extending them.
- Crossing guards are located at the Williamsburg Boulevard/Harrison Street intersection from 8:30-9:05AM and 2:20-TBD. Please see Discovery’s Walking and Bicycling Route Map to help plan your trip to school.
- Students who ride bikes and/or scooters wear helmets.
- Discovery has three bike racks with an additional rack adjacent to Williamsburg Middle School (see map). Students will not have access to the bike rack located at door 6 to ensure social distancing.
- Students secure their bikes with bike locks and store helmets and collapsible scooters in their classroom cubbies.
- At arrival, students who walk and/or bike enter at door 1.
- At dismissal, students, including PreK-grade 2 students, who walk or bike exit through door 1. Students meet families/caregivers at a designated location on the school sidewalk. Discovery asks families/caregivers to plan in advance meeting locations. Discovery asks that students do not meet families/caregivers at door 1, as to ensure social distancing. Discovery requests that students leave school grounds at dismissal and refrain from entering the playground or field for outdoor activities, such as playdates.
- APS transportation will notify families about bus stop locations and times. If you have questions about routes, stops and/or times, please contact Discovery’s main office.
- The bus loop is located at the northeast corner of the school. Bus riders unload and load at the bus loop sidewalk. Bus riders enter and exit the building through door 6.
Private Car Drop-off and Pick-up
- Car drop-off and pick-up occur only in the designated unloading/loading zone located in the parking lot. For the safety of students and others, please do not use 36th Street, Harrison Street, Kensington Street or the bus loop to drop-off or pick-up.
- Enter the school parking lot and follow the directional arrows to the designated student unloading/loading zone, located at the front of the school.
Morning Drop-off Procedures
- The morning drop-off process is a DOUBLE line.
- Staff assist with morning drop-off from 8:45-9:00AM.
- Cars enter the parking lot single-file, and then split into two lanes as they approach the unloading zone.
- Staff members stand in the unloading zone to guide cars into the unloading area in two rows. Staff ensure cars stop before completing temperature checks and signaling for students to unload.
- Families/caregivers put cars in park before students exit cars when in the unloading zone.
- Lane 1 (closest to the school): Students unload from the car doors closest to the school and walk directly into the building through door 1.
- Lane 2 (farthest from the school): Students unload from the car doors on both sides, walk to the staff at the front of the unloading area, and cross at the crosswalk.
- Students prepare for temperature checks and to unload (e.g., backpack, lunch) as cars enter the unloading zone.
- Families/caregivers remain inside cars.
- Families/caregivers do not unload items from car trucks in the unloading zone; rather families/caregivers park cars in visitor parking spots to unload items.
- Staff signal for cars to exit the unloading zone after students have cleared the unloading zone.
- Families/caregivers return to single-file and exit the parking lot
Afternoon Dismissal Procedures
- The afternoon pick-up process is a DOUBLE line.
- Staff assist with afternoon pick-up from 2:20-2:40PM
- Families/caregivers display car tags with students’ last names so that staff see the tags upon entering the loading area.
- Staff escort students to the loading area while maintaining 6 feet social distance.
- Cars enter the parking lot single-file, and then split into two lanes as they approach the loading zone.
- Families/caregivers only pick up students in the loading zone.
- Staff stand in the loading zone to guide cars into the loading area in two rows and ensure that cars stop before signaling for students to load.
- Families/caregivers put cars in park before students enter cars in the loading zone.
- Lane 1 (closest to the school): Students load into the back seats on the driver side.
- Lane 2 (farthest from school): Students cross at the sidewalk at the front of the pick-up zone and enter into the back seats on the passenger side.
- Families/caregivers remain inside cars.
- Families/caregivers do not load items into car trucks in the loading zone; rather families/caregivers park cars in visitor parking spots to load items.
- Staff signal for cars to exit the loading zone after students load safely into cars.
- Families/caregivers return to single-file and exit the parking lot.
- Refrain from cell phone use while driving.
- Watch for students who walk and/or bike to school.
- Keep speeds low and pay close attention at crosswalks.
- Be courteous and follow all safety guidelines.
- Refrain from parking on 36th Street to either drop-off or pick-up students. This action requires students to cross the street mid-block and between moving cars entering and exiting the parking lot.
- Use marked crosswalks to cross streets and access the loading/unloading zone.
- Follow all staff directions.
- Turn off car engines to protect air quality when parked in the unloading/loading zone upon arriving prior to the unloading/loading times.
- Devote more time, be extra cautious, and turn headlights on during inclement weather (e.g., snowy, rainy, foggy days).
Other Return to School Information
- APS will provide free breakfast and lunch to students.
- Students will eat breakfast and lunch in their classrooms.
- Students will remove masks only while eating and drinking.
- Students will have recess outdoors (weather permitting)
- APS is working on a guidance document for “Outdoor Dining”
- Students will bring school supplies to and from school each day.