Upcoming JHPDA Meetings
(Campus map for meeting & event locations)
JHPDA Monthly Meeting
Learn about ongoing JHPDA programming and events. Open to all!
When: Wednesday, June 3rd, 5:30 pm
Where: Preclinical Teaching Building (PCTB) room 113/114 (opposite the Greenhouse Cafe)
Policy and Advocacy Committee Meeting
Learn about issues affecting the postdoctoral community; all welcome!
When: Tuesday, May 26th, 4:00 pm
Where: Wenz Cafe
Contact: Jacqueline Brosnan-Cashman
Professional Development Committee Meeting
Join us to learn about different initiatives taken up by the committee for professional development of postdocs.
When: Thursday, May 28th, 1:00 pm
Where: MRB Daily Grind
Contact: Yuejin Li and Jineta Banerjee
JHPDA Executive Council
Co-president: Corinne Pettigrew
Co-president: Casey Rebholz
Treasurer: Blythe Shepard
Secretary: Pankhuri Vyas
Committee Chairs and Webmaster
Communications: Anna Blice-Baum and Pankhuri Vyas
International: Beth Zucconi and Anders Josefsson
Policy and Advocacy: Jacqueline Brosnan-Cashman
Professional Development: Jineta Banerjee and Xiang Xu
Socials: Justin La Favor
Diversity Postdoc Alliance: Stan Andrisse and Dionna Williams
Webmaster: Paul Aiyetan
Joining the JHPDA
Interested in one of our committees? Want to contribute to postdoc events, policy and training? Good ideas for future events?
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bulletin provided by the JHPDA Media and Communications Committee
Want to contribute to our bulletin? Know of an upcoming event, or want to write an article for our “In Brief” section?
Email us: email@example.com
Postdoc Internship Program
Short-term internships for gaining skills and experience in diverse careers. Check out the Postdoc Internship Program website for complete program descriptions.
Current position openings:
- Science Communication - Office of External Affairs in the BSPH
- Technology Commercialization
- Policy & Advocacy - Office of Policy Coordination
Johns Hopkins Medical Auxiliary Spring Meeting
Postdocs are invited to attend this free event, dinner and drinks included. Topics of discussion can be found here.
When: Thursday, June 4 at 7:00 pm
Where: Sullivan’s Steakhouse, One East Pratt Street, Suite 102, 21201
RSVP by June 1 to Carolyn Johnson
Increase your on-campus visibility
Are you publishing a paper? Let Marketing and Communications know by sending your manuscript, journal, and anticipated publication date to JHMedia@jhmi.edu.
Career Development Toolkit
for Postdoctoral Researchers
jobs.ac.uk offers a toolkit aimed at postdoctoral researchers considering their overall career progress and development. The toolkit offers some general starting points for reflecting on careers to date and formulating an ongoing career strategy. Download the career toolkit here.
Postdoc of the Month Awards
The Journal of Postdoctoral Research has Postdoc of the Month awards. For more information, click here
Personal Security Device Survey
A team of Hopkins graduate students and alumni are developing a device for personal safety on-campus and in Baltimore. They are gathering information from potential users and would really appreciate getting feedback from the Hopkins postdoc community through their short survey.
Great, inexpensive photography
The Department of Pathology, JHMI offers excellent photography services. For more information, click here.
National Science Foundation Graduate Education Forum
The Graduate Education Forum is intended to encourage discussion among US graduate-education stakeholders and will provide the DGE a direct connection with graduate students, faculty, university administrators, employers, and others who would like to contribute to the national dialogue. For more information, click here.
JHPDA Postdoc Blog
Tell Your Stories: Submit a post
Postdoc Business Cards
[Includes instructions for postdocs in the Schools of Medicine and Public Health, and postdocs at Homewood.]
BusyGrad: housing, reviews, buy/sell items
[BusyGrad is not affiliated with Hopkins]
Argonne Postdoc Blog
[not affiliated with Hopkins]
Free networking website that enables researchers to identify and connect with thousands of potential collaborators worldwide.
Complimentary ebooks on career advice
The Global Academic Careers Guide
Career Development Toolkit 4 Researchers
Research Publications Planner
Co-authoring - Getting Started
IN BRIEF: 2015 - 2016 JHPDA elections
Voting closes Friday!
The JHPDA is the oldest postdoctoral organization in the country. Representing over 1500 postdocs at Hopkins, we are an organization for postdocs, run by postdocs.
Voting for elected officer positions for the 2015 - 2016 term is now OPEN! Voting will be open until Friday, May 29th.
Click here to learn about the candidates and vote!
All SOM, SPH, and SON postdocs are eligible to vote. Please only vote once!
Candidates are listed below with links leading to individual candidate descriptions:
The voting form can be found at the bottom of this page.
UPCOMING JHPDA EVENTS
Shuttle Social at Barcocina, Tue., May 26th
JHPDA invites you to another Shuttle Social at Barcocina in Fells point. All postdocs welcome!
When: Tuesday, May 26, 6:00 - 8:00 pm
Where: Barcocina, 1629 Thames St.
Charm City Circulator, Green line stop 105
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Look for the yellow balloon!
International Committee BBQ, Thu., May 28th
The JHPDA’s International Committee invites you to an evening BBQ! Attendees are welcome to bring a side dish to share.
When: Thursday, May 28, 6:00 - 8:00 pm
Where: PCTB Courtyard
Questions? Contact Beth
Co-sponsored by the OIS.
Shenandoah National Park Hiking & Camping, Sat., June 6th
Hike Old Rag Mountain in Shenandoah National Park with your fellow postdocs! This 9-mile circuit hike with a summit elevation of 3,291 feet offers spectacular views and challenging rock scrambles. You also have the option to camp overnight after the hike in Big Meadows campground.
When: Saturday, June 6 (depart Baltimore at 7 am; start the hike at 10 am)
Where: Old Rag Mountain, Shenandoah National Park, Robertson, Virginia
Register: by June 4; https://goo.gl/5SU5kG
Questions? Contact Mary or Casey
More information here
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITIES
JHPDA Research Presentation Club - dates through October available!
Come join the JHPDA Research Presentation Club! Practice presenting a talk/poster of your choice and receive feedback from a friendly audience of fellow postdocs and graduate students. Each month’s event also features valuable tips from an expert in presentation skills.
Not yet ready for a talk? Come and listen to a fellow postdoc practice over lunch (provided!) and help out by providing feedback.
When: Wednesdays, 12:00 - 1:00 pm; dates through October now available!
Questions? Contact Jineta or Xiang
Professional Development Office
Click here to see the full calendar of PDO events.
Click here to make an appointment with the PDO.
- Collaborative Teaching Fellows Programs - Accepting applications 5/12 - 6/5
- This week: Resume-Good/Bad Examples (5/26), Compelling Cover Letters (5/27), Identifying Transferable Skills (5/28), Government Jobs (5/29)
- 12:00 - 1:00 pm, 1830 bldg, room 2-107, details and registration here.
- Career Options for Diverse PhDs
- Tuesday, June 9, 3:00 - 4:30 pm, 1830 bldg, room 2-108, RSVP here.
Additional Professional Development Events
- Welch Library Courses (upcoming courses)
- Hopkins Science Writing Program (details here or here)
- Preparing Future Faculty Teaching Academy (PFFTA) programs
- 33rd Graduate Summer Institute of Epidemiology and Biostatistics
- Institute for Excellence in Education Teaching Camp
- Translational Research Workshop for Basic Scientists organized by the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (9/28 - 10/02; applications open; details)
- Association of Women in Science: recruiting new leaders on their Executive Board (details; if interested, contact Ekemini Riley)
- MEND Funding Initiative for Research in Neurodegenerative Disorders (due 6/30, details)
- 2015 Gordon Research Seminar (GRS) on Inhibition in the CNS (registration deadline 7/18; details)
- Additional funding opportunities listed here.
FELLOWSHIP & JOB OPPORTUNITIES
Visit the below site for additional updated listings, including job postings and postdoctoral fellowships in a variety of science careers across disciplines. Recent additions listed below.
- Lecturer position in Biochemistry at University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC; details) (posted 4/19)
- Two Radiology/Human genetics postdocs available (due 4/27, details)
- Bayer Early Excellence in Science Award - call for candidate nominations (due 4/30; website; full details)
- The Foundation for Women's Wellness (FWW) Fellowship Awards (due 6/8, link)
- An NIH-funded position is available for a postdoctoral scientist to study the pathogenesis of Helicobacter pylori in Solnick Laboratory, Center for Comparative Medicine, UC Davis (link) (posted 5/03)
- Three postdoctoral research fellow positions in regulation of normal and malignant hematopoiesis at Karolinska Institutet (link) (posted 5/03)
- Data management consultant JHU (link) (posted 5/11)
- Psychiatrist Seniors’ Services team in Montgomery County (link) (posted 5/11)
- Senior Level Research Fellow Position “Causes and consequences of genome instability in human cancers”, NCI (link) (posted 5/11)
- Postdoctoral Fellowship - bone marrow transplantation. (details, contact) (posted 5/18)
All Job and Fellowship listings are compiled here.
Details on NIH job listings are also compiled here. pathway
Receive grant alerts here.
Other opportunities can be found here.
EVENTS AROUND BALTIMORE
For other local events, visit http://baltimore.org/events or the Culture Fly calendar.