Jelani Ellington, PhD
A forward-thinking outcome driven executive
Results-driven leader with 20+ years of leadership experience leading analytics, data science, business operations, and process improvement functions.
Proven ability to drive cultural and execution transformation, reduce costs, grow revenue, and optimize business operations.
Consummate leader, change agent, and entrepreneur whose diverse experience includes mergers & acquisitions and business reorganizations in an entrepreneurial setting as well as in a Fortune 50 company setting.
Director II / Principal Consultant
Anthem Inc 2010 – Present
Performed Performed as a lead in the internal, enterprise-wide consulting arm for the company's leadership. Responsible for establishing relationships at the executive level and identifying, leading, and implementing a wide variety of strategic and improvement initiatives to enhance effectiveness and profitability of the company. Engaged with and counseled business unit leadership on methods for increasing efficiency, effectiveness, and performance on a variety of engagements. Sample engagements include:
- Created methodologies to streamline Account Care Organizations and comprehensive Cost of Care processes allowing for efficient case management, disease management, and utilization management
- Led application of analytics and data science to development and implementation of improvements in enterprise cost of care
- Served as lead of Process Improvement and Design Thinking and Innovation practice domain resulting in implementation of new products and services throughout the enterprise
- Enabled the awareness and adoption of new technologies and processes by encouraging leadership alignment, understanding organizational impacts and developing appropriate interventions to minimize business disruption.
- Spearheaded implementation of large scale cultural change that improves organizational effectiveness and supported revenue growth
- Created Anthem Performance Improvement initiative to allow training and mentoring of 250 people which realized savings of $25M
Lean Six Sigma Black Belt
Strategy & Innovation
Financial responsibility to $11 billion
Created enterprise quality management program
Successful execution of cultural change initiatives
Trained more than 350 employees for consultant skillset
PhD Systems Engineering (Healthcare)
Colorado State University (12/ 2018)
Doctor of Management
University of Maryland
MS Management /
MS System Engineering
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Master of Business Administration
BS Mechanical Engineering
North Carolina A&T State University
Senior Pricing Manager
Walmart Inc Arkansas 2009–2010
Member of the merchant group responsible for responsible for a $11 Billion desk with a superb record of revenue generation and client satisfaction. Showed adeptness at bringing multiple simultaneous projects to completion with full accuracy.
- Led the non-perishable grocery retail pricing team in developing and executing price leadership initiatives to drive positive financial results
- Spearheaded data science driving pricing approach for all US Walmart stores
Senior Operations Manager
Capital One Financial Virginia 2006–2009
Business Management Office
Performed as an internal consultant supporting lines of business including Credit Card, Automotive Finance, Banking, Mortgage, and Point of Sale Line of Businesses. Conducted research and analysis of business situations, issues, and problems to develop recommendations to executives to make key business decisions, control risks, and comply with government directives.
- Streamlined eCommerce strategy and operations to enable cross selling of products and services across the entire corporate book of business
- Performed due diligence into operational issues for potential acquisition targets to determine operational efficiencies and made subsequent recommendations to integrated acquisitions
- Created and deployed enterprise Business Process Management approach to deliver enterprise solutions and provide quality improvements across operational initiatives
- Developed enterprise metric dashboard to provide executives transparency into enterprise-wide operational metrics and reengineered chargeback model which provided transparency into operational services and accurate cost analysis for operational services
- Designed and implemented governance framework across all lines of business to ensure federal regulatory compliance
General Motors Corporation
Business Development & Strategy Manager Michigan 2000 – 2006
Established and communicated the strategic direction of the business unit, conducted financial and strategic analysis investigations for decision-making, and formulated and defined direction for strategy roadmaps and domain portfolios.
- Designed and implemented international OnStar franchising model in Brazil, Ecuador, Venezuela, Colombia, China, and South Africa and coordinated company wide scaling and expansion efforts resulting in increased revenues
- Created safety and security roadmap to implement emerging technology and expand customer base
- Negotiated and defined strategic business relationships and partnerships
Various lead engineering roles Michigan & Missouri
- Continuous Improvement Leader - Functioned as lead of large trucks cost reduction initiative using Six Sigma methodologies to solve complex issues. Developed warranty prognostic model to analyze complex warranty patterns which enabled the company to diagnosis issues earlier and avoid warranty costs which were estimated at $200 MM per year
- Performance Integration Team Leader – Led engineering teams to determine the physical parameters of vehicles while championing math base methods to reduce reliance on physical properties
- Quality Engineer - Coordinated and managed the development and implementation of new statistical quality initiatives for assembly plants
Ford Motor Company
Product Development Engineer Michigan & Mexico 1998-1999
Participated in Ford rotational management training program to gain wide insights into the business development, product development, validation, and sales functions of the corporation.