PUBLIC WORKSHOP LIABILITY WAIVER
All Members must attend a safety orientation and sign a liability waiver before using the shop
All non-members must sign a liability waiver before participating in a class.
PARTICIPANT NAME ____________________________________________________________________
This Agreement is effective upon the date signed by the Member and is intended to reflect certain terms of the membership agreement governing the use of the Station North Tool Library’s Public Workshop (SNTL_PW) facility and the Member’s rights and obligations concerning his/her use of the space during either Open Shop hours, participation in Classes, or other Rental Agreements.
WHEREAS, the parties have exchanged valuable consideration so that the Member shall have the opportunity to use the SNTL_PW facilities in accordance with the terms and rules provided and such other membership documents, including the Facilities Agreement, which are incorporated by reference; and
WHEREAS, SNTL_PW wishes to provide the Member with access to its facility consistent with outlined Usage Terms.
NOW THEREFORE, it is agreed that the following terms have been accepted:
- Member agrees to take reasonable precautions for his/her own safety and the safety of others, in connection with use of SNTL_PW facilities.
- In the event that Member elects to use the SNTL_PW, Member shall read and sign the Facilities Agreement, which shall be incorporated by reference into this Agreement.
- Member agrees to undertake any and all safety trainings as a prerequisite for working in the shop and it’s machinery.
- Member agrees to return any equipment s/he uses to SNTL_PW in the same condition it was delivered.
- Member will immediately advise an SNTL_PW employee of any dangerous or unsafe condition or behavior observed in any SNTL_PW facility and will not continue his or her use of the SNTL_PW facility until the condition is made safe.
- Member agrees to always wear safety goggles, close-toed shoes, and protective clothing and undertake other designated safety precautions relevant to the machine and/or task as referenced in the Facilities Agreement when in the designated shop area, whether s/he is currently operating equipment or not.
- Member understands that his/her use of SNTL_PW facilities involves inherent risks, which include, but are not limited to serious bodily injury, loss of limb, loss of sight or hearing, or death. Member further understands that any such injury may create substantial social and economic loss for them and agrees to accept such risks as part of his/her use of SNTL_PW facilities.
- Member agrees that there are no intended third party beneficiaries of this membership agreement.
- Member understands the use or possession of alcohol and/or illegal drugs is considered reckless endangerment by my person and is not allowed in the shop, studios, or classes of SNTL_PW under any circumstances and that if found in violation I may be subject to removal from the premises by SNTL_PW staff.
- Member understands that by signing this release and waiver, s/he agrees to expressly release SNTL_PW, its employees, owners, and agents from all liability to Member and Member’s successors and assigns for and from any and all claims, including those arising from the negligence of SNTL_PW, losses, and damages on account of any injury to him/her or damage to his/her property in connection with facility use. Member knowingly waives any such claims, losses, and damages arising from and including, but not limited to, acts and omissions arising from breach of contract, fraud, willful misconduct, bad faith, negligence or claims grounded in equity.
- Member further agrees to indemnify SNTL_PW, including its employees, owners, and agents, and to hold them harmless for, from and with respect to any and all losses and out-of-pocket costs, including, without limitation, reasonable legal fees incurred by SNTL_PW on account of any injury or damage Member may receive in connection with his/her use of SNTL_PW facilities.
- Member further agrees to limit the maximum amount of SNTL_PW liability for damages arising out of this Agreement for any losses actually incurred, whether direct, special, incidental, consequential, economic, noneconomic and punitive to that amount available under SNTL_PW applicable insurance coverage.
- Member understands that SNTL_PW retains the right to revoke my membership at any time at management’s sole discretion and with no right to a refund.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY POLICY
SNTL_PW does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression. SNTL_PW values diversity and strives to welcome all members of the community. If you require special assistance, please contact us in advance so we can do our best to accommodate you.
I consent that SNTL_PW has full and unrestricted publishing and use rights for any photographs (digital or print) taken on the SNTL_PW property by SNTL_PW employees or volunteers in which my image or any of my materials or art, either brought in to or created/generated at SNTL_PW, appears. I hereby release, discharge, and agree to hold harmless SNTL_PW from any liability by virtue of any blurring, distortion, alteration, optical illusion, or use in composite form whether intentional or otherwise, that may occur or be produced in the taking of said picture or in any subsequent processing thereof, as well as any publication thereof, including without limitation any claims for libel or invasion of privacy.
SNTL_PW does not offer membership or class refunds except for specific events, such as disability or death. A $35 processing fee will be assessed for all refunds. Please send refund requests to firstname.lastname@example.org
Although we make best effort to accommodate any late-notice cancellations due to unforeseen circumstances, SNTL_PW cannot be responsible for giving refunds for classes, workshops, or other programming missed due to illness, emergencies, or events beyond our control. Please send refund requests to email@example.com.
If a student misses a single class in a series or portion of a class, SNTL_PW and its instructors cannot be responsible for make-up sessions. Students should inform their instructors or SNTL_PW as soon as they are aware of a session they will miss. SNTL_PW will do our best to help the student get caught up, but in some cases the student may need to sign up for 1:1 instruction time.
SNTL_PW reserves the right to cancel programming at any time and will notify students via email and/or phone. In the rare event of a cancellation, a full refund or credit will be issued.
Private Group Classes: A 10% processing fee will be applied to group class cancellations two weeks+ out unless it is rescheduled. This fee can be applied against future cost if rescheduling occurs within two weeks.
Group programs must be canceled at least two weeks in advance in order to receive a full refund. There will be no refunds or transfers if the class is cancelled with less than two weeks notice or if there is a failure to attend.
Unless otherwise specified, SNTL_PW classes are open to anyone 18+. Youth 16-17 may attend after a legal guardian has met briefly with an SNTL_PW staff member or the instructor and signed a liability waiver.Youth 10-15 may attend with an adult and a waiver signed by a legal guardian.
While in SNTL_PW facilities, SNTL_PW does not permit and will not tolerate any inappropriate conduct. Such conduct includes, without limitation, using loud, abusive, offensive, insulting, demeaning language, profanity, lewd conduct or any conduct that harasses or is bothersome to members, guests, or SNTL_PW employees.
VIOLATION OF POLICIES OR RULES
If any member or guest violates any of the Policies or Rules, SNTL_PW will ask that person to stop or leave. A member’s violation of any of the Policies or Rules may also cause SNTL_PW in its sole discretion, to terminate that person’s membership and/or other agreements.
GENERAL SHOP SAFETY
- Do not use any machine you are not trained on and comfortable using. If at any time you are unsure of what you are doing, stop immediately and ask for help. Do not force tools.
- Do not use any machine that is not in good working order. Stop, leave a note on the machine and notify firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wear safety glasses at all times when in the shop area, including near the machine shop.
- Ear protection is also recommended, many of the tools operate above 90 decibels and without protection, you are losing hearing.
- When using power tools (including hand power tools):
- No open-toed shoes or loose clothing
- Remove objects on hands and wrists (including rings, bracelets, & watches)
- Remove dangly necklaces, hair ornaments, and earrings
- Restrain long hair to prevent entanglement
- Do not wear gloves
- Do not leave machines running unattended.
WOODSHOP SPECIFIC SAFETY
- All powered woodcutting and sanding tools must be run with dust collection or vacuum equipment connected to the appropriate ports and on at all times.
- Smoke or sparks are bad signs in the woodshop. Stop what you are doing and correct the problem. Usually correct feed and depth of cut or getting a sharp bit / blade will help.
- All wood must be processed according to our Materials Cutting Chart. Wood considered highly toxic, or containing lead paint or mold, is never to be machined in the space. Wood with nails, screws, staples, etc., must not be cut with the large power saws. You must read the full cutting chart for all details (also posted in the woodshop).
- No metal cutting allowed on woodshop equipment.
- No wet or damp items of any type (including containers, rags, limbs) may be placed or left on horizontal machine surfaces.
- Clean your machines, your work space, and put all tools away when finished. Scrap wood should be placed in designated locations. Use vacuums or hand brushes to clean machinery.
- Food and beverages allowed only on workbenches with ratty tops - never on any machine table.