Pass the Cocoa
Lemon Ricotta Pound Cake
Yields: one 9-inch loaf cake, about 8 servings
Loosely Adapted from Giada De Laurentiis
For the Cake
1 cup granulated sugar
½ cup vegetable oil
1 ½ cups whole milk ricotta
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon lemon zest
½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
1 ½ cups cake flour
For the Lemon Glaze
½ cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest, plus more for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan with vegetable oil.
- Beat together the eggs, sugar, vegetable oil, and ricotta until smooth. Beat in the vanilla extract, lemon zest, and salt.
- Fold in the baking powder and cake flour. Pour the batter into the loaf tin and bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool for 15 minutes in the pan, then turn out onto a cooling rack and let cool completely.
- Make the glaze. Mix together the powdered sugar, lemon juice, and zest. The glaze should be thick and fall into the bowl in ribbons. If too thin, add more powdered sugar; if too thick, add more lemon juice.
- Pour the glaze over the cooled pound cake. Sprinkle additional lemon zest if desired.