Shuttle Social at Max’s Taphouse,
The Johns Hopkins Postdoctoral Association invites you to a shuttle social at Kooper’s Tavern in Fells Point! Tuesday night is $5 Burger Night at Kooper’s and all Postdocs are welcome!
When: Tuesday, April 21 from 6 - 8 pm
Where: Kooper’s Tavern, 1702 Thames St.
Transportation: Charm City Circulator, Green line, stop 105
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITIES
Professional Development Office
Spring 2015 Research Leadership for Postdocs
Research Leadership for Postdocs in a series of 12 short lunchtime modules. Sessions are on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 12:00-1:30 in the 1830 Building, classroom 2-108. For the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) on 4/30, payment must be received by 4/23. Find session topics and dates here and register here.
Interviewing for Career Success
When: Monday, April 20th
Time: lecture from 12:15 - 1:15 pm, mock interview from 1:30 - 3:00 pm
Where: W4030, School of Public Health
Register here. Hosted by The Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health Career Services Office and the JHMI Professional Development Office.
Career Options for Diverse PhDs
When: Tuesday, April 28th, 3:00 - 4:30 pm
Where: 1830 E Monument St., room 2-108
Panel speakers will represent careers in science communication, research-based government jobs, and teaching-focused academic positions.
Information Session: Collaborative Teaching Fellows Programs - New options!
When: Monday, May 11th, 12:00 - 2:00 pm
Where: Mountcastle Auditorium; 1st floor Preclinical Teaching Building, map
Attend this information session to learn about the Teaching Fellows Program from faculty and participants. Teaching sites include Notre Dame University of Maryland*, Goucher College, Stevenson University and Morgan State University. Visit the teaching fellows website to learn more! (*Co-Sponsored by the JHPDA.)
Additional Professional Development Events
Welch Library Courses
A list of upcoming Welch Library Courses can be found here.
Hopkins Science Writing Program
Online/low-residency Science Writing Program. Postdocs have multiple options for gaining training, including a Master of Arts degree (9 courses), a Graduate Certificate program (5 courses), and individual classes. Except for week-long residencies, courses are online. To learn more, see this flyer or visit this site.
33rd Graduate Summer Institute of Epidemiology and Biostatistics
When: June 15th - July 3rd
Where: Bloomberg School of Public Health
Details here. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Summer Institute offers intensive basic and advanced level courses in epidemiology and biostatistics intended to develop an understanding of the principles, methodologic strategies and practical aspects of epidemiological research. SOM postdocs interested in registering should contact the SOM Registrar.
Events from Institute for Excellence in Education (IEE)
These events are open to all and the registration fees are waived for graduate students and postdocs.
Registration for IEE Summer Teaching Camp is open to postdocs. More information can be found here.
When: Thursday July 31 and Friday August 1, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Where: Armstrong Medical education building
- “Call for Innovations” Competition on 5/4 (due 4/20, link)
- 3 month summer Equity Research Biotech Fellow Internship with T. Rowe Price (due 4/23, details; return interest form to Arhonda Gogos; J-1 Scholars and H-1B temporary workers are not eligible to apply)
- Alzheimer’s disease Pilot Project Funding available, $30,000 direct costs (due 4/24; details)
- Fellowship - Scientist Mentoring & Diversity Program for Biotechnology (SMDP Biotech) (due 4/30; details)
- Association of Women in Science: recruiting new leaders on their Executive Board (details; if interested, contact Ekemini Riley)
- Lasker Foundation 2015 “Research Challenge” Essay Contest; prizes of $10k, $5k, and $2k (due 5/4; details)
- CIRTL Johns Hopkins Summer Teaching Institute, 5/27 - 5/29 (details)
- MEND Funding Initiative for Research in Neurodegenerative Disorders (due 6/30, details)