Chocolate Covered Cherry Mini Cupcakes
Inspired by Confections of a Foodie Bride
Adapted from Chocolate Cupcakes with Peppermint Swirl Frosting and Tie Dye Cupcakes
Yield - 30 mini cupcakes
3/4 cup flour
1/3 cup cocoa
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 + 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/8 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup hot coffee
- Preheat the oven to 350 ˚F.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, soda, powder, and salt into the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix together on low with the paddle attachment.
- Beat together the eggs, oil, vanilla, and buttermilk in a small bowl and add to the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined and then scrape down the sides.
- Turn on the mixer and add the hot coffee slowly until well combined.
- Fill cupcakes liners with 1 1/2 tablespoons of batter and bake for 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean.
- Turn out of the cupcake tin and allow to cool completely before frosting.
Chocolate Covered Cherries
1 jar maraschino cherries (about 30)
5 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- Drain the cherries and save the juice.
- Melt the chocolate in double boiler.
- Dip each cherry halfway in the chocolate and place on wax paper to cool. Refrigerate to harden completely.
Whipped Cherry Frosting
1 1/2 cups whole milk
7 1/2 tablespoons flour
juice from 1 jar of maraschino cherries
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, whisk together the milk and flour. Keep whisking until the mixture becomes smooth and thick resembling pancake batter. Pour in the cherry juice little, by little while mixing to keep the mixture thick.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy - the mixture will stay grainy, it’ll be ok.
- Add in the cooled flour/milk mixture and beat until the entire frosting is light and fluffy and no longer gritty. If the frosting is runny, refrigerate for about 15 minutes and then rewhip.
- Add to a piping bag with a large round tip and pipe a dollop.
- Place a chocolate covered cherry on top.