Children’s Kiva Montessori School
Elementary/Middle School - Board of Directors Meeting
09.21.15 at 6:30 pm – 25 N. Beech
BOD Approved on 10.19.15
- Call to Order: Julie S. called the meeting to order at 6:37 pm.
- Roll Call: Julie Suckla, President; Tamia Hurst, Secretary; Nate Seeley, Treasurer; Chad Fish, Member; Kathy Stemmler, Member; Josh Warinner, ED; Susan Likes, FD
Absent: Julie Bell, Member
Community Members: Rainey Wikstrom, Wellness Collaborative advisor; CH BOD (attended the presentation); Cari Spoonemore; JenniLynn Lawrence (via phone)
- Vision – Children’s Kiva Montessori School will provide a vibrant and engaging learning environment based on the teachings of Dr. Maria Montessori that supports all students’ academic excellence and ability to become empowered, creative, lifelong learners responsible for themselves, their community, and their environment.
Mission - Children’s Kiva Montessori School uses authentic Montessori Methods, Community-Based educational approaches, and integrated academics (STEAM) to support student academic success, responsibility, and independence.
Montessori Moment – Chad
Next Montessori Moment: Kathy
- Approval of the 08.24.15 Minutes: Nate moved to approve the minutes as written, seconded, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Approval of Agenda: Nate moved to approve the agenda with the following changes: add Nominations Committee to IX.b; add item XI.b. - Shared Board Information concerning Google for Education (Chad). Motion seconded, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Community Member Forum:
- Rainey Wikstrom our advisor from the Wellness Collaborative, 20 min presentation.
- Cari Spoonemore presented her concern of the restrooms not always being available.
- Status of previous meeting’s action items – Tamia
- See Elementary/Middle School BOD Action Items – 08.24.15
- Development Committee: create a strategic plan for fundraising/spending…”Financial Summit”.
- Julie S and Josh: meet to fill out the board assessment and then sent it out to the board for comments.
- All BOD members: review the bylaws (found in Google docs).
- Julie: contact Anna regarding contacts for Kathy for the Curriculum Committee.
- Josh: set the CCSP training schedule with board and staff once it becomes available.
- Board Retreat Committee: continue to meet and fine-tune the agenda for the retreat. Prepare a BOD Report for September.
- Consent Agenda
- Approve updated BOD Member Application
- Approve updated BOD New Nomination Process
- Approve updated BOD Member Orientation
Nate moved to approve the Consent Agenda, seconded, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
Action Item: Shamai will talk with Anna and see if the Montessori book is available to share with new board members.
- BOD President – Julie
- Executive Committee Report
- Josh and Julie will meet again tomorrow to follow-up on his assessment.
- Retreat planning and consensus on keeping our date or rescheduling a new one
- Recent Retreat meeting dates have been cancelled. Retreat Committee needs to meet again ASAP to find new possible dates.
- EM/S Member for Fundraising Committee
- Our board is spread thin and no one has the time or skill set to step into this position right now. We need to consider finding someone to join our board with this specific skill set, both for fundraising and capital campaign.
- Action Item: Chad will talk with Erin Tanner regarding the attendance of the Fundraising Meeting in Durango.
- Nominations Committee
- Results from BOD Self-Evaluation
- To review the survey, go to the Form tab and then select Show Summary of Responses.
- Action Item: All BOD members need to review the survey and e-mail Shamai with their number one priority goal for this board to work on this year.
- Shamai will compile the boards’ input and put together goals for each board and a list of items to be covered at the Board Retreat.
- Budget & Financial Oversight Committee – Nate
- Building and Location Committee
- Concerns over restrooms were discussed and possible solutions presented. Extra portable toilets will be brought in and the City will survey the pipes to determine the problem.
- Nate reviewed the status of 18 N. Beech.
- Jeff Booten will be gone next week so Nate will be the point person in his absence.
- Action Item: Julie will draft a letter to families concerning the construction and send it to Tamia for review, edits and formatting.
- The entrance door of 25 N. Beech needs to be replaced at some point. Once 18 N. Beech is complete we will begin on this project.
- Payment authorization for GC, Jeff Booten
- Discussion concerning funds for this project. Susan confirmed that in the event we run out of money on the initial construction loan, we can pull temporarily from our contingency plan fund.
- Nate moved that the board authorize three additional weeks of billable time for GC, Jeff Booten, at the rate of $1500 per week. Motion seconded. All approved. Motion carried.
- Executive Director – Josh
- Student count is currently at 84/90: 5 additional lower elementary and 1 in upper.
- Discussion regarding the moral of staff:
- Action Item: Chad will do a thank you for the staff this week.
- Action Item: Tamia will do a thank you for the staff next week.
- Action Item: Josh will talk to the staff about the potential of holding a parent ed night on September 29th.
- Finance Director – Susan
- Nomination Committee (JenniLynn called in at this time)
- Nomination of JenniLynn Lawrence.
- Nate moved to nominate JenniLynn Lawrence to the Elementary/Middle School Board of Directors of Children’s Kiva Montessori School. Motion seconded and approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- JenniLynn Lawrence accepted the nomination and was sworn into office by Julie Suckla.
- New Business
- Action Item: All – update the directory in the Google Drive, currently located in the “Board Packet for Upcoming Meeting(s)”.
- Action Item – All BOD need to e-mail a short bio and picture to Tamia.
- Action Item – Tamia will give JenniLynn access to appropriate Google Drive folders.
- Shared Board Information
- Gabi will look into name tags for the boards and report back to the boards.
- Google for Education update
- Some of the current issues with Google Drive:
- If you don’t have a Google email, you can’t turn over rights.
- If it’s not a Google doc, then you can’t turn over rights.
- Google for Education is free and gives Admin more rights, but it requires that everyone have the same domain email address.
- Susan will look into the IT support that we pay RE-1 for and request their assistance.
- The E/M S BOD fully support this action and unanimously agreed to move forward with it.
- Calendaring – BOD President
- Upcoming events
- Andy Robinson in Durango: Building Boards That Work and Creating a Fundraising Plan. Tuesday October 20th, early bird pricing $45 per module.
- There is a board fundamentals training October 23, place and time TBD
- Next BOD meeting
- Monday, October 19th at 6:30 pm at Beech Street
- Review all Action Items – Tamia
- Items for Future Agenda(s)
- Retreat Committee Report – October
- CDE CCSP Grant Required Training Schedule – TBD
- BOD updates to Josh for newsletter (previously completed by Anna) – October
- Curriculum Committee: create an agreement for pre-assessment for the 2016-17 school year. Talk with Karleen Walton. – August
- Swear in all BOD members – Board Retreat
- Employee Handbook – TBD
- Financial Policies and Procedures – TBD
- Discuss Google for Education – October
- Adjournment: Chad moved to adjourn the meeting, seconded, unanimously approved. Motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 9:24 pm.
Prepared by Tamia Hurst, BOD Secretary