About Google Docs/Drive
- Google Docs/Drive is a platform for document sharing and collaboration and is included in every Gmail and ETSU Goldmail account.
- You can create or upload Word docs, spreadsheets, and presentations in Google Drive.
- When added as an editor, the MALS Writing Consultant can provide comments and notes on a document that a student shares with her.
How to use Google Docs/Drive
- Sign in to your Gmail or Goldmail account.
- Find the menu grid in the upper right hand corner of the screen; click on it.
- Once you click on the grid a box with icons will open—click on the triangular Drive icon to open your Drive.
Preparing to upload documents
- Before you upload any documents, click the settings cog in the upper right corner of the page.
- Scroll down until your cursor hovers over “Upload Settings”
- In the menu that pops out to the side, click on “Convert uploaded files to Google Docs format”
- This step is VERY IMPORTANT! The writing consultant will not be able to edit or comment on Word docs that have not been converted.
- Click on the red “Upload” icon in the upper left corner of the screen.
- Select “Files…” in the menu that pops up.
- Now click on the file you wish to upload from your computer, then click “Open” at the bottom right corner of the window.
Sharing uploaded documents
- After you click “Open,” a box will appear in the lower right corner of the screen.
- It should look like this, you will see “Converted” next to your file name in the box.
- To share the document you have just uploaded, click the blue “Share” to the right of your document.
- A new box will open with fields for entering email addresses and a message.
- Type the writing consultant’s email address in the box under “Add people” and make sure to select “Can edit” to the right.
- Check the box next to “Notify people via email”
- Click the blue “Add message” to type a message that will be sent via e-mail with notification of your shared document.
- Click the green button at the bottom of the box that says “Share & Save.”
Sharing process complete!
- Now the writing consultant can view and make comments on your document!
- In your document list, your paper will now be tagged as “shared.”
- The writing consultant will be notified of the shared document and will contact you via e-mail to let you know when she has finished commenting on your paper.
- Note: another way to share an uploaded doc is to select it in your Drive list, then click the “person +” icon at the top of the screen. Then follow steps from previous slide.
- Please follow up after sharing your document by adding a message during the sharing process (see previous slides) or by sending the writing consultant an email with specific questions or concerns about your paper.
- Also, please specify whether you would like to make an appointment for a live chat consultation or if you would prefer an email response.
- As always, please remember the writing consultant handles requests on a first come, first served basis.