NO ALCOHOL ON THE FIELDS. PLEASE BE AWARE OF THE CITY OR FACILITY RULES REGARDING THE SPECIFIC FIELD YOU ARE PLAYING ON!! BEACH RULES APPLY
HOTEL GAYTHERING 6v6 VOLLEYBALL RULES
No foul language, taunting, or abuse of the referees will be tolerated. This goes for both players and spectators. Players violating this policy will be called for unsportsmanlike conduct and subject to ejection and leave the park. If spectators violate this policy, a warning will be issued to their team. If it continues, a forfeit may be awarded. Any player or fan is encouraged to rout for their own team, but routing against teams or use of disparaging language is discouraged and could result in penalties of players or dismissal of fans. Any fans of teams may be asked to leave by Club Sport staff. Refusal to leave could result in forfeiture of games. Any player ejected from a game will be asked to leave the park.
- MINIMUM PLAYERS: A minimum of 4 players from the team's roster must be present at game time or the team will forfeit the game. A maximum of 6 players are allowed on the court. There are unlimited substitutions during any dead ball. All substitutions must be made from one sideline. If a team has less than 6 players (but minimum of 4), they may add other league members (PICKUP PLAYERS) until they have 6 players (regular season only).
- LATE PLAYERS: Any players arriving after the start of the game can jump in at a dead ball if the team is short players on the field. Rostered players must replace any “Pickup players”.
- PICKUP PLAYERS: Pickup players are NOT allowed during the playoffs. Any pickup players during the regular season must be signed on a SFCS roster for another team for that particular night/location. Failure to do so, even if discovered after the fact, may result in a forfeit. Pickups must be brought to the attention of the umpire BEFORE the game or may be assessed a 6 point per pick-up player penalty. Teams may pickup up to one player at no penalty in order to field a minimum team number (6 fielding players, example: 8 men does NOT allow a free pickup). If more players from your team show up to allow subs, the free pickup player must be removed. ANYONE CAUGHT USING ILLEGAL PLAYERS DURING PLAYOFFS WILL FORFEIT THEIR GAME AUTOMATICALLY.
- FORFEITS: Forfeit time is game time. REF/League Coordinator calls game time. If a team forfeits twice within the season they may not be allowed to play in the playoffs. A forfeit will be counted as a 7-0 win.
- All SFCS leagues and social events have a minimum age requirement of 21 years old.
Game Length- There is a 45-minute time limit on all matches. Matches will consist of a best of 3 game series. The first two games will be played to 21 (rally scoring, win by at least 2). If a 3rd game is required, it will be played to 15 (rally scoring, win by at least 2).
Equipment- Teams may use the ball(s) provided by staff or any ball both opponents agree to use. Nets and lines are provided by park/venue staff. Players must play barefoot or in socks. Cleats, sandals, tennis shoes, and crocs are prohibited.
Teams- Teams consist of 6 players on the court at once. It’s best to rotate players on the service rotation.
Players- Every player must pre-register and accept the league waiver prior to participation. Every player must provide a photo ID before each playoff game. Only an opposing captain or SFCS staff member may waive this requirement.
Pre-Game- The home team will have choice of serve or side. The visiting team has the remaining choice. Teams will switch sides and possession in subsequent games.
Positions- At the time of service, all players (except the server) must be inside the boundaries of the court. Players do not have to play in set positions or rotate. Players may sub in during any dead ball, so long as they adhere to the service order.
Service- Players must maintain the same service order throughout the match. Every player on the court must be in the service order. A team can insert a new player into their service order at any time. A legal serve will take place from behind the team’s end line anywhere inside the sidelines. The serving player must remain behind the end line until the ball has been served. If player serves in the air, he/she can land on or inside the line. A legal serve must cross the net between the poles. A legal serve can touch the net on the way over. An opponent cannot leave the ground to attack a serve. However, an opponent can leave the ground to pass a serve.
Net Play- A ball must cross over the net between the poles (hitting the pole is out of bounds). Player contact with the net/pole is prohibited. A player may block the ball beyond/over the net provided that he/she does not interfere with opponent’s play. A player may cross under the net provided he/she does not interfere with opponent’s play.
Volley- A team may touch the ball a maximum of 3 times before sending the ball over the net. Players may touch the ball with their feet, knees, and head. Consecutive touches by one player is prohibited.
- FORMAT: Tournament is single elimination with seeding based on regular season standings. All teams make the tournament.
- SEEDING: Tournament seeding will be based on the following criteria (based on won-lost percentage where applicable): 1) winning percentage, 2) head-to-head play (if 3 or more teams are tied this means head to head record amongst all tied teams), 3) Overall Point Differential for the season 4) Overall Points scored 5) coin flip.
- REGULAR SEASON 8th GAME: sometimes a team may play more then the 7 regular season games due to an odd number of teams. The eighth game will count towards standings for both teams.
If you are having difficulty interpreting the rules, please ASK!