MINUTES

Children’s Kiva Montessori School

Elementary/Middle School - Board of Directors Meeting

January 18, 2015 at 6:45 PM - 18 Beech Street

BOD Approved on 02.08.16

  1.  Call to Order: Nate Seeley called meeting called to order at 6:49 pm

  1. Roll Call: Board Members: Nate Seeley, Chad Fish, Julie Suckla, Kathy Stemler, JenniLynn Lawrence; Interim Director: Susan Likes; Community Members: Alexia Hudson, Shamai Buckel, Mary Jo Standard, Stephen Hanson

  1. Vision – Children’s Kiva Montessori School will provide a vibrant and engaging learning environment based on the teachings of Dr. Maria Montessori that supports all students’ academic excellence and ability to become empowered, creative, lifelong learners responsible for themselves, their community, and their environment. 

Mission – Children’s Kiva Montessori School uses authentic Montessori methods, Community-Based educational approaches, and integrated academics (STEAM) to support student academic success, responsibility, and independence.

Montessori Moment – Julie -- observed children demonstrating love for work more than play in real life while watching Delta and friend chop ice for cattle and seeing how proud they were having accomplished something meaningful.

Kathy Stemler next Montessori Moment

  1. Approval of Previous Minutes:  Approval of the 12.17.15 minutes: JenniLynn moved to approve the minutes as written, Julie seconded, no discussion, approved unanimously.  Motion carried.

  1. Approval of Agenda: Kathy moved to approve the agenda; discussion followed -- Julie moved to adopt with item VII. status of previous meetings action items tabled to next meeting due to Tamia’s absence and Item VIII. Consent Agenda A. Adoption of Bylaws also tabled to next meeting due to additional changes being needed; Kathy seconded, motion carried unanimously

  1. Community Member Forum: Community members may use this time to speak to the board; three minute time cap please.  For discussion(s) that may take more time please email the board at bod@kivcharter.org.

        

        Mary Jo Standard requested permission to attend Colorado Charter Conference -- she has been invited to sit on the health and wellness panel and the collaborative will cover most of her expenses.  

        Lexi Hudson recommended naming Susan officially as Interim Head of School.  

        Steve Hanson -- present mostly to observe the board.

  1. Status of previous meeting’s action items – Tamia (Tabled)

  1. Consent Agenda
  1. Adoption of revised Bylaws (Tabled)

  1. Reports:

  1. Health & Wellness Committee
  1. Lunch Program for remainder of 2015-2016 school year - Farm lunch rate reduced to what we are charging students.
  2. Salad Bar - School district is receptive to idea -- will work on it for next year -- may explore grants for physical equipment.
  3. Vision for the H&W program - incorporate message of health and wellness into all Wednesday clubs; publish report on website -- health and wellness tab

  1. BOD President
  1. Executive Committee Report - Alex Carter resigned; District will likely name interim superintendent if he leaves before year end.  
  2. Gabi Morey Board name tags - members agreed to pay for own name tags.  Nate will get information to Gabi for order.
  3. Preparation for CSSI visit
  1. Can we hire Tony Fontana to help us prepare?

Steve Hanson indicated that it is a friendly visit --Mona will touch base with Tony to be sure that we are prepared

Rob Lee will be back on February 10 -- board will plan to meet with him Sunday evening and again at February 15 board meeting

  1. Budget & Financial Oversight Committee
  1. Report - uploaded

        No more money for construction.

Trip to Charter Conference -- funds cannot be transferred to something else. JenniLynn cannot attend, as plans were changed based on belief that money could be directed to more urgent need.  Katy will still attend.  Julie will consider attending.

  1. Head of School (Susan Likes)
  1. Report
  2. Status of Rob Lee
  1. Report on current activities.
  1. Board needs to communicate better with Rob before and and after his visits.
  1. Susan is “the Go-To Girl.”  We need to confer a more appropriate title and authority.  We need to decide what authority Rob Lee should have.  Define the responsibilities / authorities of all staff during the transition.  Define roles and responsibilities, organization chart.
  1. Kathy moved that Susan serve officially as Interim Head of School.  Julie seconded motion. Motion carried.  Susan will work with assistance of consultant Rob Lee.
  1. What guidance/direction do we want to give Rob?  What are his roles and responsibilities.
  1. Rob will handle teacher and education related matters.  
  2. Susan will focus on finance and all operational matters.
  1. Schedule a Board meeting with Rob on February 10
  1. Request from staff for a day off school to prepare for parent conferences.
  1. The board recognizes a need for more clarity regarding work days and professional development.  Susan explained that they used to do both -- staff development in the AM with work time allowed in PM.
  2. Parent Teacher conference date will remain on February 5th as designated on school calendar.
  3. Board approved using “Workspace Report” where data is already entered for conferences -- as long as they are printed in color -- instead of having teachers spend hours converting the same data to a different report just so it would look like a traditional report card.
  1. Make-up day from snow closure.
  1. follow what RE-1 does

  1. Support for individual teachers.
  1. Will keep working on this with Rob Lee

  1. Start recruiting for staff for next year.
  1. Anticipate a need for SPED teacher, and teaching assistant,
  2. Reviewed letter from Ms. Caitlyn
  3. Plan to move Mr. John to lead middle school teacher.

        

  1. Relations between staff at our two schools
  1. recognized need to work on the dynamic and provide support for both organizations.

  1. Finance Director (Susan Likes)
  1. Report - uploaded
  2. Revised PPOR payments from RE-1
  1. current figure is approx $90 -- still in the black at this amount.
  1. Financial Policies and Procedures
  1. To be addressed in more detail at February board meeting

  1. Additional Committee Reports (uploaded to Google)
  1. Building & Location Committee
  1. Report on meeting with Karen Sheek re: neighbor complaints
  1. most neighbors are happy with school and feel safer with school in neighborhood.  One neighbor incorrectly assumed that the school was placing trash in her dumpster.  The school is not doing so and staff member was able to described vehicle of person seen unloading items into the dumpster.
  2. Julie spend day with Karen Sheek addressing concerns.  All issues were successfully and positively resolved.
  1. Current location building improvements
  1. No more.
  1. Location plans for next year
  1. Chad and Julie will look at Lakeview
  2. other ideas discussed
  1. RE-1 facilities workshop
  1. Should have better idea about availability of district buildings after workshop.  Julie and Nate will attend.
  1. School growth/enrollment - table discussion until next meeting?
  1. Cannot have more than 132 students at present location
  2. Have guaranteed spots to 2016-17 Childrens House students
  3. Could offer “first available space” guarantee to all future classes -- do not have the space to guarantee a space outright.
  1. Screening Committee
  1. Current status of search
  1. The search will continue
  1. Nominations and Board Development
  1. Introduce Stephen Hanson

  1. New Business - NONE

  1. Shared Board Information  - Nothing additional

  1. Calendaring
  1. Upcoming events
  1. RE-1 Facilities Workshop, Tuesday Jan 19 at 6:00 pm
  1. Next BOD meeting
  1. Monday, Feb 15

  1. Review all Action Items – JenniLynn

Nate --

  1. Name Tags
  2. Set up Sunday meeting with Rob Lee
  3. Attend Facilities workshop with Julie and Susan
  4. Prepare draft of duties for Susan and Rob

Chad

  1. Look at Lakeview with Julie

Julie

  1. Look at Lakeview with Chad
  2. Attend Facilities workshop with Julie and Susan
  3. Follow up with Steven Hanson
  4. Finalize Bylaw Amendments with JenniLynn
  5. Contact Durango Charter

JenniLynn

  1. Prepare draft minutes and get to Tamia for formating
  2. Finalize Bylaw Amendments with Julie

Kathy

  1. Continue to screen for new director
  2. Secure travel and registration for Colorado Charter School Conference

Susan

  1. Define lottery spots for preschoolers
  2. Attend facilities workshop with Julie and Nate
  3. Report to teachers regarding conferences and Montessori Workspace
  4. Draft absence policy

        

  1. Items for Future Agenda(s) – BOD President

  1. Adjournment:  Chad moved to Adjourn at around 10:30 pm.  Kathy seconded the motion.  Meeting adjourned.

Prepared by JenniLynn Lawrence