CODE OF CONDUCT
ALL PARENTS MUST READ AND AGREE TO TERMS (SIGN ON REGISTRATION FORM)
Parent Code of Conduct:
- Set the right example for our children by showing respect and common courtesies at all times to the team members, coaches, competitors, officials, parents, and for all facilities and other property used during practice or competition
- Respect the integrity of swim officials by assuming decisions are based on honest, objective evaluations of performance. Only coaches may approach meet officials for clarification of rules.
- Demonstrate good sportsmanship during all practices, competitions and team activities. Promote good sportsmanship by setting an example and by helping others to do likewise.
- Be an active participant in all home meets, fundraising events and other team activities and encourage and support your child by permitting them to be timely for practices and competitions.
- Realize that swimmers become easily confused when coached by parents and benefit most from positive reinforcement of the professional coaching staff’s instructions and advice. Your unconditional love and support before and after races will help them best.
- Recognize that FAST coaches are professionals and allow them to coach your child without interference during workouts and meets.
- If you have concerns, you will address it with the appropriate coach in private. Call or meet with coaches before or after practice or meets to discuss issues. Please do not interrupt or confront the coaching staff during practice or at meets.
- Insist that your child refrain from using alcohol, tobacco, drugs, other prohibited substances, violence, abusive or foul language, inappropriate sexual conduct, or any other behavior deemed dishonest, discourteous, offensive or disrespectful of others
- Practice teamwork with all parents, swimmers, and coaches by supporting the values of Discipline, Loyalty, Commitment, and Hard Work.
- Assist the coaches in conducting effective practices by ensuring swimmers arrive and leave on time, and bring the proper equipment ie: goggles, water bottle, etc.
- Arrive at meets in time for volunteer or swimmer check in, stretching and warm-ups.
- Coaches have the right to approve or decline meet events according to swimmers ability.
- Maintain self-control at all times. Refrain from inappropriate behavior that detracts from a positive image of the team or is detrimental to our performance objectives.
- Trust and support your swimmer’s and coach’s decisions around goal-setting, training commitments, swim event entries, and meet schedules. Do not impose your ambitions on your child.
- Pay your fees on time. Session fees are due at the beginning of each session. Please speak with the treasurer if a payment plan is needed. All billing questions need to be directed to the treasurer, or another board member, not the coaches.
Swimmer Code of Conduct:
- Make every team practice, meet participation and activity an opportunity to learn.
- Swimmers are expected to remember that at practice, during swim meets, team activities and in public, they are representing FAST. They should represent FAST with excellence, respect, team spirit, good sportsmanship, and politeness.
- Swimmers are expected at all times to follow the directions of any member of the coaching staff and respect any instructions by officials. Disrespect or failure to obey instructions will not be tolerated from any athlete.
- Swimmers are expected to show respect, common courtesies and good sportsmanship at all times to the team members, coaches, competitors, officials, parents and for all facilities and other property used during practices, competitions and team activities
- Swimmers should be punctual and arrive on time for all practices and meets and team events. Pool time is very valuable..
- Swimmers must notify the coach in advance if they are planning to arrive late, or leave practice and swim meets early.
- Swimmers are required to attend FAST hosted swim meets.
- The coaches are there to help the swimmers. Swimmers are expected to pay attention and follow all of the coach’s instruction completely and exactly. If any clarification is needed, they are to ask questions politely.
- Swimmers are expected to use appropriate language. Use of profane or abusive language or obscene gestures will not be tolerated.
- Dishonesty, theft, and/or vandalism will not be tolerated.
- Indiscreet or destructive behavior will not be tolerated
- There shall be no drinking of alcohol or sue of tobacco products or illegal drugs or any substances banned by USA swimming.
- Swimmers are expected to respect each other. Fighting, intentional touching or striking another athlete will subject the swimmer to the most severe discipline.
Swimmers are expected to follow the spirit of the rules as well as the specific rules. The coach must adapt this philosophy to an infinite number of situations. Swimmers are asked to respect the coach’s direction and give their full cooperation. Cooperation with teammates and staff will produce a productive practice environment and competitive environment for all.
Violation of the Code- Swimmers
The coaches have the authority to impose the following penalties for violation of the Fort Atkinson Swim Teams Code of Conduct. The penalties include, but are not limited to the following:
- The swimmer will be given a verbal warning.
- The swimmer will be pulled out of practice in addition to a verbal warning and the coach will contact the parent.
- The swimmer will need to be accompanied by a parent at practice for four(4) consecutive days.
- If the swimmer continues his/her behavior, he/she will be suspended for one(1) week. (there will be NO prorated swim fees.)
- If the swimmer’s disciplinary problem continues, the swimmer and parent will meet with the coach and at least one board member to discuss the matter further. At this time, if necessary, a behavior plan will be implemented. The severity and frequency of the swimmer’s misconduct will determine the appropriate level of suspension or expulsion from the team. The disciplinary action will be based on the report(s) of the coaching staff and are at the sole discretion of the FAST Board of Directors.