William & Mary Physics REU 2014:
What’s Going On In And Around Town?
REU map: http://www.wm.edu/as/physics/undergrad/researchopportunities/reu/around-town/ and http://mapsengine.google.com/map/view?mid=zpP65pTaa_Xk.kYpt2wmgXiFg
Activities at William & Mary
- free admission for students with ID
- Live music in the amphitheater (careful when Googling the location, there is one in LA)
Food - Bars and Restaurants in Williamsburg
- Next to campus/walking distance
- Aromas ($)
- Daily Grind ($)
- Blue Talon ($$$)
- Green Leafe ($$)
- Subway ($)
- Pita Pit ($)
- The Crust ($$)
- not a restaurant but has sandwiches and other stuff for take out
- really good chocolate milk
- ZPizza ($$)
- New Green Leafe ($$)
- Trellis ($$$)
- Fat Canary ($$$$$$$$)
- Food for Thought
- Saigon Pearl
- $5 on Mondays, you get a regular meal, chips and a drink.
- On Wednesdays, half-off regular meal. (I swear I paid less than $4 for a regular meal).
- Very busy at lunch time but you could get a meal less than $10.
- They really have good breakfast, and it is locally owned.
- They have car shows every Friday from 5 pm to 9 pm.
- Good, affordable buffet lunch
- Only open for breakfast and lunch
- Good breakfast food (from what I hear)
Stores in Williamsburg
- Food Lion (on Richmond - can walk from campus or take the bus)
- Martin’s (off Monticello Avenue)
- Trader Joe’s
- Farm Fresh
- Harris Teeter
- Fresh market
- Target (off Monticello Avenue)
- Walmart (off Route 199)
- Lowe’s (off Route 199)
- JoAnne Fabrics (in New Town)
- Barnes and Nobles (one in New Town and one off campus near CW)
- Home Depot
- Office Depot (off Monticello Avenue)
- Staples (on Richmond Road - can walk from campus or take the bus)
- Walgreens (on Richmond Road - can walk from campus or take the bus)
- Ace Hardware (on Richmond Road - can walk from campus or take the bus)
- Goodwill (on Richmond Road - can walk from campus or take the bus)
- Auto Zone (Merrimac Trail)
- Dick Sporting Goods
- Bike Beat (off Monticello Avenue)
- Med Express (right off Richmond - can walk from campus or take the bus)
- 120 Monticello Ave.
- (757) 564-3627
- Sentara Williamsburg Regional Medical Center
- 100 Sentara Cir.
- (757) 984-6000
- 312 Second St.
- (757) 229-4141
- 4374 Newtown Ave.
- (757) 259-1900
- 5231 John Tyler Hwy, corner of Rts. 5 and 199 (all the way back)
- (757) 220-8300
Activities in Williamsburg
Batting Cages, Driving Range, mini golf
- June 15: Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs II
- June 22: Peter Pan
- June 29: Rocky
- July 6: Frozen (Christmas in July)
- July 13: Mary Poppins
- July 20: Avengers
- July 27: Silverado
- Aug 3: Enders Game
- Aug 10: North by Northwest
- Aug 17: Despicable Me II
- Aug 24: UP
- Aug 31: Hunger Games: Catching Fire
- Kimball Theater (indy)
- New Town Regal Cinema
- High Street Movie Tavern
- July 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, August 6, 2014
Activities around Williamsburg
- Illyria (musical version of Twelfth Night)
- Fireworks in CW (Palace Green & Market Square)
- Third Thursday, free admission 10 am - 5 pm thanks to a generous grant from the Noland Foundation
- Art After 5: live music, poetry open mic, artist demonstrations and other creative experiences. August through May. Presented by SunTrust, food sponsored by Blackdog Catering, beer & wine sales by La Bodega Hampton proceeds benefit Pfac, promotional support from WHRO and the Daily Press.
- Tuesdays Pfac is open from 5 - 8 pm; however, there is still an admission fee.
- Admission to Peninsula Fine Arts Center is free the first full weekend of the month: Saturday 10 am - 5 pm, Sunday 1 - 5 pm, with special volunteer-led art activities and gallery games on Saturday 10 am - 4 pm ($2 art activity free for non-members ages 4 and up)
- (you have to pay for parking in some places)
- There are food vendors around for lunch, etc.
- June 6 - 8, 2014
Local Parks and Recreation
- Daily fee: $2.00 per vehicle
- Season pass: $25.00 per person
- Daily pass $ 2-4
- Bridge toll $12/car with discount on return within 24 hours
- College Creek
- Jamestown Beach
- Yorktown Beach
- Buckroe Beach
- Grandview Beach
- Virginia Beach (less touristy north of 40th street, and free parking)