How can I bail someone out who has been arrested?


If someone has been arrested between the hours of 8:30 am and 2:30 pm Monday thru Friday, the arrestee will be brought to the Fall River Justice Center. The courts will release or set a bail the arrestee. All other times, the arrestee may be available to be bailed at the Freetown Police Department or the New Bedford House of Correction. For further assistance, please contact the Freetown Police Department at (508) 763-4017.

If my vehicle was towed or impounded by the police department, how do I retrieve my vehicle?


If your vehicle was towed or impounded by the Freetown Police Department, you can call the Freetown Police Department and request information concerning the name of the tow company and where it is located. See “Towing” under the General Info tab for more information.

How do I know if there are any sex offenders near me?


Anyone can go on http://sorb.chs.state.ma.us and obtain information on all Massachusetts Level 3 Sex Offenders. If you are interested in Level 2 Sex Offenders, you must report in person to the Freetown Police Department and complete a written request for the desired information. The secretary, who works Monday thru Friday from 8 am til 4 pm, will provide you with the information. Level 1 Sex Offenders WILL NOT be disseminated to anyone other than law enforcement officials.

How do I get a restraining order or harassment order?


Restraining order or harassment order may be acquired at the Fall River Justice Center from 9:00 am til 4:00 pm Monday thru Friday. If an order is required during court closed hours, you can go to Freetown Police Department to obtain an emergency order from an on call judge.

Can I report drug and criminal activity anonymously?


You can report crimes, suspicious behavior, or drug activity anonymously by calling the Freetown Police Department at (508) 763-4017. Your information can be left on the Detective Division Voice Mail system. You do not have to leave your name if you do not wish.

I was recently questioned by a police officer, however, he or she didn’t advise me of my rights. Aren’t they required to advise me of my rights first?


Many people believe that an officer must automatically read a person of their Miranda Warnings (Rights) as part of performing an arrest, either immediately before or immediately after an arrest is made. The truth is that the only time an officer must read a person of their Miranda Warning (Rights) is when the person has been taken into custody and the officer is about to question the person about the crime.

I need to see the Chief of Police about something. What should I do?


The Chief of Police is generally available from 9:00 am til 4:00 pm Monday thru Friday, but you should call the Freetown Police Department at (508) 763-4017 and make an appointment. An appointment will ensure the appropriate time is allotted to address your concerns with him. You may also contact the Chief of Police via email at policechief@freetownpolice.org.

Does the Freetown Police Department allow community groups such as Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, or School Groups to tour the police station?


Yes. If a group is interested in a tour of the Freetown Police Department, you may make a request by contacting the Chief of Police or Sergeant Scott Rose. It is preferred that the request is made with at least month (30 day) notice in order that officer(s) are available to provide the tour. Officer(s) have been able to provide limited access to the police station, display patrol vehicles, and demonstrate patrol equipment.

Does the Freetown Police Department fingerprint town residents for background checks or employment purposes?


The Freetown Police Department provides this service free to all town residents. Please contact the Freetown Police Department Monday thru Friday 8:00 til 4:00 pm to make an appointment.

What can I do about a speeding problem on my street or in my neighborhood?

The use of a speed radar trailer aids in educating the public, especially the driver who may be unaware exactly how fast they are going. While traffic enforcement through visible patrols and traffic citations remains an important component of our overall traffic safety strategy, the use of our speed radar trailer enhances our efforts to reduce speeding through education.

Residents who would like the speed radar trailer placed in their neighborhoods are invited to make a request by calling the department at (508) 763-4017.